Kaeris Crew issues... I'm not doing it right!

Grantt

Hey y'all,

I've been playing for ages and I've been working with each of the Arcanist masters. My favourite by far has to be Kaeris, both from a fluff perspective and an adoration of the model. I adored her in 1st ed and she was in all my arcanist crews; when Mei Feng hit the scene, I played nothing else for about  year.

But I'm finding her lack lustre in second ed. In first ed, she was fast and vicious, manoeuvering into position; hitting with a gatling trigger, then flying out of the way. Her combination of fantastic mobility and damage output made her my master of choice, despite her being a henchman!

Now I'm finding her falling short compared to the other masters. It feels like Ramos, Colette and even Mei Feng just seem to be better at achieving strategies and schemes.

It's important to add that I don't proxy - I am holding my breath waiting for the Oxford Mages and the Captain - and I often use the Malifaux Child and Grab and Drop with raptors to litter scheme tokens; I know what I'm doing! I just feel like I'm missing something when I compare her to other masters. I tend to find that she lacks heavy hitters, and unless I take the unreliable Rail Golem, I always seem to populate my crew with weak models that I can't rely on. 

So what do you all do to make Kaeris as successful as Ramos, Colette, etc?

Grantt

I consider large arachnids to be pretty core to her, since they take advantage of free scheme markers (turn 1 dropped markers generally aren't needed for your schemes, boosting even turn 2 charges), put out some flaming attacks on triggers, and later eat enemy schemes or their own scrap to be a pretty solid melee piece.

Not having firestarter is the only part of her crew that I think is REALLY important to proxy, since it sets up a lot of her abilities. 

I would use Joss/Howard/etc, but I feel that points would be better spent getting something that works with the burning synergy. And if I'm taking Joss & Howard, why don't I just take Ramos?

It's the same with the Large Arachnids; I can set up a similar situation with Union Miners, forget the burning part, and take another master. 

I guess what I'm trying to work out is what makes her a better choice than the others (obviously situational). 

Destroying the enemy: Mei Feng

Running Schemes: Colette/Ramos

Defending: Ramos

I can't quite work out what Kaeris is good at. 

You don't have to have burning synergy on absolutely EVERYTHING. Firestarter is enough to fuel Kaeris when she needs it. With one or two more models that can do some Burning stuff, you should be okay. Fire or Metal gamin would be my choice, though I'm not a Kaeris player. Also I like the upgrade on her to give her the trigger to push enemies 3". For Squatters you can push someone off of a marker. In Turf War, activate Kaeris last in the turn and push a model or two away from the Turf Marker. Those are strats for which missing out on  VP just once could lose you the game, because its so easy for your opponent to get.

Also personally, I hate Gunslingers. Even with the  :+fate  :+fate  to the attack flip, doing 2/3/whoCares damage is not a good investment for 7 stones in my opinion. The fast is difficult to obtain, and being able to choose your trigger costs you the  :+fate  :+fate . You may get more milage out of it, but I'd rather go for a December Acolyte

• Like 1

You don't have to have burning synergy on absolutely EVERYTHING. Firestarter is enough to fuel Kaeris when she needs it. With one or two more models that can do some Burning stuff, you should be okay. Fire or Metal gamin would be my choice, though I'm not a Kaeris player. Also I like the upgrade on her to give her the trigger to push enemies 3". For Squatters you can push someone off of a marker. In Turf War, activate Kaeris last in the turn and push a model or two away from the Turf Marker. Those are strats for which missing out on  VP just once could lose you the game, because its so easy for your opponent to get.

Also personally, I hate Gunslingers. Even with the  :+fate  :+fate  to the attack flip, doing 2/3/whoCares damage is not a good investment for 7 stones in my opinion. The fast is difficult to obtain, and being able to choose your trigger costs you the  :+fate  :+fate . You may get more milage out of it, but I'd rather go for a December Acolyte

Yup. Firestarter and/or malifaux child should be enough to deal with all the burning you need.  For the rest...Kaeris doesn't *really* need burning. She's better as a mid-range support model than as a damage dealer. 

Gunsmiths are really good, and it's really easy to get fast with them any ram spent on defense will give them fast. It's "after resolving" that's win or lose, if you have a ram you get fast. The only thing they struggle against are incorporeal models. They should be on the flanks taking out scheme runners, and scheming when they get a chance. If you want damage take advantage of the experimental trigger and focus. Super easy with fast. Move, focus, shoot.

have only used her once but she seems better at crowd control than some of our others. threw her into the middle of a fight setting fire to everything including my own which obviously did lots of burning damage and opened up the positives for her supporting gunsmiths after she pushes everything away

I've been playing her regularly for the last six months or so.  

She has access to a lot of board control; G&D and Blinding Flame. This makes her good at strategies like; Squatter's Rights, Headhunter, and Guard the Stash. She's also no slouch in Turf War either. 

Burning and shoving people into Flame pillars allow her to kill without taking credit, which is useful in games with; Frame for Murder and Headhunter. 

Kaeris can also play very defensively, healing and blocking LOS with Purifying Flame. This makes her useful in games where you need to keep people alive (Bodyguard, Murder Protégé, Entourage). While Ramos is very good in defence there are plenty of games where he's a poor choice;  Reckoning, Headhunter, Collect the Bounty, Make Them Suffer.

I'll be the first to admit there's a lot of cross over between Ramos and Kaeris crews, which is fine thematically. On more than one occasion I've got half way through building a crew before I decided who was going to lead it.

For big hitters I'd use Howard and Joss mostly, also don't forget how good models like the Cerberus are.

• Like 1

I was having the same problem with Kaeris.

Even had a similar thread on here a while ago.

Since then, after some good suggestions from fellow gamers on the thread and some games, this a crew for Kaeris that I'm finding works pretty well in most situations. I'm also not one for proxies. The only proxy in here is the firestarter, cos he sets up so much for Kaeris.

Kaeris: