30mm base model standing on markers: LoS?

Tigerstyle

Question

We came across an odd situation last night which in my local play group we haven't been able to resolve.

A 30mm base model is stood on top of a scheme marker (although it could equally have been a corpse, scrap etc marker). Does that model block LoS to that marker from other models?

Markers are considered HT0 as I recall.

I've seen discussion around larger based models standing on markers which seems a bit clearer since they are larger than the marker but what about a 30mm model positioned on top of a 30mm marker? Does it block LoS to the marker?

8 answers to this question

Models do prevent LOS to things, including markers, however, it's be difficult to completely prevent LOS to a marker, since you'd need to be exactly in front of it and be facing a 30mm model to completely block LOS (which would assume your opponent agrees your position is correct enough when you declare your intention to block LOS to X model (the same way you can declare you're trying to place exactly 1" from something, since it's technically possible), and then it would take only a tiny movement to either side to see a sliver of the marker... though this would force the other model to waste an action moving to see the marker.

If the model is standing exactly on top of it, I'd say the marker's visible since objects only block LOS drawn through them, not to them, and they'd occupy exactly the same space, though I'm less sure on this one.

I agree that if you were standing perfectly on top of the marker, you would stop blocking line of sight to it, because you would stop blocking line of sight to the outer edge of the marker.  At that point you could draw line of sight to the points along the edge of the marker without passing through the model, just like you could draw line of sight to the model without passing through the marker.

A (30mm) model standing perfectly on top of the (30mm) marker isn't blocking line of sight.

A (30mm) model standing  directly in front of the (30mm) marker can block line of sight. Largely only if you move the model and express that as the exact aim. (It could happen by random chance, but is highly unlikely, and so unless I placed it with that intent, I would assume that its a mm off or so and so not block LOS)

If either the target or the acting model is taller that the intervening model, then they can see over it.

Would a taller model be able to see it anyway?

It seems weird, but I think it may be that, RAW, a Ht 2 model standing on top of a Ht 0 marker blocks LOS for Ht 1 and Ht 2 models, but not Ht 3+. Which is weird. I'd love to be wrong.

Haha yes, I think you're right. I don't think there are a lot of Ht 3+ models with 30mm bases in the game, but it's certainly a consideration for Gremlins and other Ht 1 models.

Haha yes, I think you're right. I don't think there are a lot of Ht 3+ models with 30mm bases in the game, but it's certainly a consideration for Gremlins and other Ht 1 models.

Gremlins have Stilts that can give extra Ht thus getting Ht3 for 30mm base models but other than that, I can't think of any.

That is really funny, btw.