Wild Boar - anyone using?

Math Mathonwy

I'm looking at Wild Boar and it seems rather lackluster. A nice damage track but average Ml and On Edge is a bit situational. Average Df, bad Wp and a nice amount of wounds but no Armor or HtW or such, so really not very durable. Root Around is a nice ability, but with Bayou Rampage, it might not see use all that often, really.

Anyone using a Wild Boar or two? Any tips? Or just a reason to take it over other possibilities.

I would recommend you just ditch the gremlin faction altogether and start playing a real faction. Sure we need to break some ground rules for you regarding masters and factions but I am sure we will find something..

How about Ten Thunder Mei Feng?

• Like 3

If using a piglist it works out fine. Shooting it in the rear with Ulix so it gets +s from on edge is nice. Plus it has from the shadows so you could theoretically put it in charge range first turn. With Trixxiebelle to win initiative so you get that charge. And with its damage track a bit of luck you might be able to trade it for something more. Or you can place it around an outside squat marker out of los so it can't charge your stuff etc. And it eats scheme markers.

So it's not terrible.

I've used Wild Boars with Ulix, as that lets you deploy them alongside Penelope for a bit more control than you'd usually get.  They've done pretty well so far, but I mostly use them on the flanks to annoy scheme runners (as Eat Your Fill and Eat Anything makes them pretty durable, and Root Around is a pretty solid ability all around). 

• Like 1

The Wild Boar also makes a decent Killjoy deliver system.  From the Shadows gets the boar to the enemy quickly, and often times your opponent then has to decide if killing the boar is worth a first-turn Killjoy in the midst of her crew.

Tis always a solid tactic when you have KillJoy kicking around.

I have trouble making them work. I suspect they'd be a lot more effective if I kept them close to the Ulixball rather than stranding them with From The Shadows.

I've actually really given the wild boars a decent run. I've tried running them with the Ulix ball, using Penelope and two boars as a "from the shadows" premptive stike force or a counter punch unit that can double up a scheme runners. Its actually worked out ok. However, saying that you do have to make so tough decisions to your crew selection for them. As always, strats and scheme's determine if I use Wild Boars or not. For a 6 soulstone minion they're not to bad really.  Decent defense, high charge range and have a (0) action push as well. Not bad at all.

Pip.

I love zoraider and mctavish, so to me they are awesome, the ➕ flip to attacks out of activation combine with zoraider obay and mctavish semi obay(that provides a ➕ flip as well) make them monsters of the mid range, I like them to come in from the flanks and provide turn 1 obay targets that really hurt also swamp feinds for mvtavish's gun I had some use of them with Wong to as I always use mctavish (he likes to be magic)

It depends on my opponent I think, and what I'm trying to do.  If I'm running a Somer Summoning Engine, it's worth it to send them in just to buy me time.  It's also worth it in some story encounters that require lots of activations.  Having 3 or 4 of them in the enemies deployment zone or close enough early wreaks havok with an opponents plans.  If they are playing a faction like Guild, which tends towards small crew counts, sure they'll die but it will soak 2-3 turns unless they get lucky.

~J Rzasa