Unboxing Ophelia LaCroixs 'The Kin' Starter Set

GMort

First of all, and most importantly, thank you again Gmort for doing these. Much, much appreciated!

As for the models themselves, scale and Ht are apparently completely divorced these days :(

A comparison to the plastic Bayou Gremlins would be very interesting, I think. Also a better, from the side pic of the Youngs would be appreciated. But I understand if you don't wish to do these.

• Like 1

First of all, and most importantly, thank you again Gmort for doing these. Much, much appreciated!

Couldn't agree more.

On the models, ugh, this isn't any better than the Som'er box. So it seems no branching out to the Gremlin faction for me unless they seriously shape up with the other boxes. I really hope the rumour about them switching the company that does the minis is true.

Couldn't agree more.

On the models, ugh, this isn't any better than the Som'er box. So it seems no branching out to the Gremlin faction for me unless they seriously shape up with the other boxes. I really hope the rumour about them switching the company that does the minis is true.

The somer box im only three models deep into building right now and i must say it is a nightmare to assemble. So the ophelia crew box is not any easier? And what is this rumor of switching companies?

And what is this rumor of switching companies?

Nathan mentioned at Gencon that the manufacturing company they'd been using was a constant source of hassle (not least for their love of separating models into tiny fiddly pieces) and they'd recently switched to another company. The first model produced by that company was Miss Ery (who is a marvel of design and a joy to assemble).

The Mickey Mouse like spindly arms with huge gloves as hands that several models in this box have looks really bad IMO.

I agree, but I think it's a deliberate art choice to distinguish them from human proportions - if they didn't have wacky giant hands you could just put human heads on them and they'd be teenagers.

Nathan mentioned at Gencon that the manufacturing company they'd been using was a constant source of hassle (not least for their love of separating models into tiny fiddly pieces) and they'd recently switched to another company. The first model produced by that company was Miss Ery (who is a marvel of design and a joy to assemble).

Man i hope so. It would be great if the gremlins were not a nightmare to build. Or any other crew box for that matter.

Looking at the Miss Ery model, ot makes sense that it was done by another company.

I'd love to see model Ht mean "standing figure height," although I fear what this would mean for the Gremlin aesthic. If the new Ophelia was scaled down to the height of the old one then the figure would be nigh unplayable because her arms would be merely microns in diameter!

Looking at the Miss Ery model, ot makes sense that it was done by another company.

I'd love to see model Ht mean "standing figure height," although I fear what this would mean for the Gremlin aesthic. If the new Ophelia was scaled down to the height of the old one then the figure would be nigh unplayable because her arms would be merely microns in diameter!

But look at the Somer box unboxing:

http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/unboxing-malifaux-somer-teeth-joness.html

The new and old Bayou Gremlins are of comparable heights. The new ones are maybe a tiny bit taller. The old kin were of similar height to the old Bayou Gremlins. But the new kin are gigantic compared to the old kin which leads me to think that the new kin are much bigger than the new Bayou Gremlins. Which isn't a good thing since they are still all Ht1. And it's aesthetically super weird as well.

And all of this is aside from those two Young LaCroix giant mutants that are obviously just a horrible mistake.

I really, really wish that Wyrd would address this somehow. Even if it was just to say "Sorry guys, we really messed up but fixing it would be too expensive so this is what you will have to live with. We will strive to do better in the future and Brewie's box will be properly scaled."

• Like 2

But look at the Somer box unboxing:

http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/unboxing-malifaux-somer-teeth-joness.html

The new and old Bayou Gremlins are of comparable heights. The new ones are maybe a tiny bit taller. The old kin were of similar height to the old Bayou Gremlins. But the new kin are gigantic compared to the old kin which leads me to think that the new kin are much bigger than the new Bayou Gremlins. Which isn't a good thing since they are still all Ht1. And it's aesthetically super weird as well.

And all of this is aside from those two Young LaCroix giant mutants that are obviously just a horrible mistake.

I really, really wish that Wyrd would address this somehow. Even if it was just to say "Sorry guys, we really messed up but fixing it would be too expensive so this is what you will have to live with. We will strive to do better in the future and Brewie's box will be properly scaled."

That is very true and very horrible.

Good thing physical model height doesn't matter at all.

Well, rule-wise, you're correct.

Aesthetically, it matters a fair bit.  Scale issues have plagued Wyrd for always and it's an oddity they can't seem to kick.  I don't understand why they don't make master reference models of their human, gremlin, and other races as they come up and just refer back to that "average" when they start work on new things.

Instead, we get giant "young" gremlins, crouching models who are as tall as standing models (although in the case of the Silurids, the crouching model is actually smaller than the other two...which was amusing), and enough variation in head size that I can't decide if the goal is true-scale, heroic-scale, or "I've been cursed by a witch doctor, please send help" scale.

How a TT Game looks is often as important as the rules.  The main reasons I've heard in-person for someone not getting into Malifaux aren't cost or rules-related.  The reasons are "I hear the models are really hard to assemble" and "I hear the scale is really inconsistent"  You see the former in every new Gremlin release at least and the latter is a treat we get with almost every new box of minions it seems, as one of the three is inevitably out of scale with the other two.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...