New player with Lucius

(Sarcasm)

Hi all,

I'm a huge fan of Lucius in the fluff so I decide to buy his crew during the Gencon sale along with the Doppleganger. I should also be getting a mis-ery so theres that too.

I've read his and the lawyer's PMF pages and they were an interesting read but I was wondering whether you guys had any more input on the subject of using him, specifically things like his strolling horror duel/obey ability as it won't work on the doppleganger or teddy, how hard it is to use red tape/scheme markers in general for violence and which models go well with him (and why).

Bit of background on my models and models I like the look of.

I currently own the Sonnia Criid box set (Sonnia, Sam, 3 witchlings) and death marshals (also a metal Ryle, Iggy and Tuco) and am interested in using Lucius in Guild and Neverborn equally but am not a fan of guild guards in general. The lawyers are awesome but seem to fit into more of a support role.

Which minions are good choices for primary damage dealers? is this what I should be looking for?

So far as damage dealers which Lucius can give more actions to for me it's split into two camps.

The first and one which gets a lot of support on the forums is Dashel and a pair of Guild Riflemen, which together and absolutely wreck face if they can find a good place to set up and have a good Los. Dashel allowing the riflemen to focus for a 0 and then Lucius being able to make them focus before their Issue Command shot they should always be doing a min of 3, 4 if you flip/cheat a Ram.

The other and tbh my preferred is a Beckoner and a pair of Illuminated using the Beckoner to add brilliance and lure in key targets for the Illuminates to wreck is a beautiful thing and Lucius being able to move them up quicker or get hem to make more attacks is just icing.

It's all up to flavour really and of course Strat and scheme. If you don't need to move a part of your crew much the Dashel combo may be your better choice but where you want to get up into your opponents face the Illuminated have worked wonders for me (and Gulid Lucius doesn't get them :P)

• Like 3

I don't play with Lucius but played against him. Couple riflemen, dashel, malifaux chlid and adoppelganger does wonders. Doppelganger mimicing chlids "just like you" and you have "free shots" from riflemen. He did have some guild hounds for running schemes.

• Like 2

Riflemen are actually one of the few 'grunt' guild models that I really like and as Dashel comes in the box I'm totally down for it! I was planning on picking up Lynch at some point anyway (we'll see if Huggy gets a more detailed sculpt or not first - not that I'm complaining) so the beckoner and illuminated are also really possible.

@Molja is there a reason not to have the doppelganger mimic the riflemen directly?

Guild Riflemen can smash out some uttery obscene damage with support from Dashell. They are a worthy investment for a Lucius crew. I'd also recommend Beckoners, they are a poor mans Rotten Belle but they are also very useful support pieces but their Lure isn't quite as good as a Belle but it'll offer you some very nice options. If you want tanky and hitty minions I'd suggest Illuminated from the Lynch set. They are tough as nails and hit like a freight train but they are only usable if he's Neverborn. Austringers are also good in any Guild crew, if memory serves they are also Guardsmen but I know Lucius' ability to do stuff with them is limited due to potential and proven abuse. For the Neverborn side Terror Tots make fantastic scheme runners, they are tough and incredibly fast. If memory serves Tannen and Graves are also Mimics and they are fantastic models. They work really well together and seperately. Tannen in particular can cause a lot of frustration, I know they aren't minions but having some enforcers around is never a bad thing!

• Like 1

I also echo Masterdiasters comment about Guild Riflemen with Lucius (and dashel) as their shots hit accurately and the damage can quickly becomes 3/4/6 (or 4/5/7 if you flip/cheat a :ram!). Other then that i think your sorted really in the short/medium term (on the guild side at least). I would just avoid going to gunline heavy with him as you will need some combat potential or you run the risk of getting shut down easily the moment someone gets into your models (and you need to score vp). I would take at least 1 Witchling Stalker (just a great minion overall) and a death marshall is well worth considering for pine box shenanigans :)

I have never run him as Neverborn so i dont really have any extra insight to add for that side of him.

• Like 1

Definately Guild Riflemen, they really work well with Dashel and Lucius.

I'm normally a Neverborn player, so I normally use him as Neverborn. I have found great use with Stitched Together, as they are minions as well. But Mr. Tannen is almost an auto-include for me as well as the Doppleganger. I have been less successful with Mr. Graves and the Beckoners.

• Like 1

The trick to building a Lucius crew is to not overload on support. Dashel and the Mimics offer some great synergy but with a few exceptions, all are mostly support pieces.

Generally Lucius likes running with alot of minions, so aside from the odd heavy hitter you'll generally want to take a good complement of minions to fill out his crew. The Guild Minions are mostly great for shooting, but the Neverborn minions offer much better melee options, with models like the Waldgeist, Illuminated and Young Nephilim. I personally prefer Lucius as a Neverborn Master for that reason, but that's not to say he's a bad choice for Guild. It's just that I've had a tougher time building him for Guild than I have for Neverborn. 

• Like 1

Of course you can mimic riflemen directly. But when you mimic Childs "just like you" and use it to "issue command" you can get all kind of bonus from that. For example critical strike -trigger and their ability "firing line". Hurts a lot when you're in the receiving end. Negative side on this is that it is very card dependent when you are doing "just like you" twice a turn.

• Like 1

The thing that is coolest about Lucius IMHO is the fact that you get access to do many awesome models all if the time regardless of which faction you run him via upgrades since there are several Guardsmen and Mimics to explore:

Guild Hounds- objective running

Pathfinder- area control and more shooting

Warden- beat stick

Guild Rifleman- shooty, and area control by virtue if the fact they scare opponents away

Guild Guard- chaff and objective runners, with Investigate giving surprising mobility, and their armor and Patrol surprising lasting power

Doppelgänger- awesome on many levels by aping other models strengths, even better with Dont Mind Me for interacts, and her ability to steal initiative away with a cheated card via I'll Omens, and if you are running a gun line or shooty Guild, not having to flip for her to be bit in engagement seems great

Lawyer- de buff and tarpit, although not seeing taking two as included.

Tannen-Tarpit and great rebuffed by preventing cheating.

Graves- beat stick and great synergy with Tannen, throwing him around.

Candy- does what she always does, like a mini Pandora, and messing with the opponents activation order.

I've perhaps forgotten some, but a quick search can give you an exhaustive list I'm sure, and the talking points when to use them.

• Like 1

I play Lucius exclusively, and besides the minions (which you certainly want to include) , he is also good with strong but slow models who need some help getting to a useful place.  His "Thats what lackeys are for" makes him an awesome delivery device for Peacekeeper, Teddy, Executioner, or whatever other beatstick you want to put into their face.   Or with Sam Hopkins so that he is is a spot to rapid fire on an enemy model in the first turn.  In fact, you could use Lucius to move Sam up first turn, let sam rapid fire, and then use beckoners to pull him back to avoid him suffering from countercharges.

Tonight I am going to try to use Lucius to deliver Papa Loco into my opponent's midst, where he can do massive damage with his explosions before dying a fiery death.  (I hope he doesn't read this before I do it).

The one minion that noone has mentioned yet that I enjoy with Lucius is the Hunter.  It is just such a solid minion.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that there was one mention of the Guild Pathfinder so far (thank you Fenton for mentioning him at all) and there's no talk of the utility of Traps.

I use them for free soulstones. They're like how Clockwork Doves (used to?) work with Colette, when you think of Devil's Deal. You just have to spend a fairly low-priority card to do it each turn, but then, even so, Traps are useful even beyond surrounding Lucius with them for the sake of stones.

So, in all seriousness, get a Pathfinder and Traps. They are fantastic.

~Lil Kalki

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions and tips people, I'll look into expanding with the models you guys have mentioned.

On a different but related note, I've been searching the forums for Doppelganger tacticas and have found a few but all from before M2E. Does anyone know of some more recent ones that detail things like optimal activation time and mimic targets for utility or damage?

• 2 weeks later...

Lucius sounds interesting. Are you allowed to play a crew mixed with neverborn and guild or does it have to be one or the other?

Lucius can take an upgrade to let him include up to 4 out of faction Mimics or Guardsmen.  That is how you end up with a mixed crew. 

For me, my most common includes are Doppelganger, Tannen and Graves into guild, or Lawyer, riflemen with Daschell, or austringers into NB (but honestly I don't play NB all that often).

Lucius looks like a old revolutionary war Cobra Comander. He has got me interested in playing him. I dont know his fluff but i get the notion that he is a neverborn that has infiltraited the Guild. Kinda like what Palpatine "Sidious" did on Star Wars...yeah I went there...Anyways after reading his M2e pull my finger tactica i rather like the way he plays on the table. He sounds like one of those masters thats actually pretty fun to play. Is his plastic reboot of his crew box available for purchase in stores? I already have ideas on what i want to run with him.... guild rifelmen, doppleganger, guild hunter.