Jakob Lynch crew advice

Mrminiature

Stitched together can work nicely with Lynch and the beckoners/Tannen/Graves are pretty much staple.

Fears given form is horrible on the hungering darkness.

Illumindated are one of the best buys in Neverborn and can be made even nastier if you take wicked dolls to buff them, the mysterious effigy looks like it could also be rather helpful.

Then there's the depleted, while fluffy I'm yet to see them used effectively.

• Like 2

Kade. Depleted, Huggy, and the Illuminated all get stuck in engagement pretty well. Spend 7 stones for a tiny killing machine. You may be looking at a Pandora box for that, but if you pick her up the Beckoners are solid gold for her, especially if you run Doppleganger, who is good in Lynchs crew as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Then there's the depleted, while fluffy I'm yet to see them used effectively.

Depleted are great in schemes/strategies that require bodies on the table more than they do interact actions. Make use of their free move towards models with Brilliance to get them up the table, then activate them early in turn 2 to run up and engage something interesting. Now you have put your opponent in a very awkward spot. Do they just let their more important piece get held in place by your 4ss model? Or do they use up AP killing the Depleted, splashing Brilliance onto said important piece in the process? Once a model gets Brilliance on it against a Lynch crew it either needs to run for the hills or get some condition removal, stat.  

I have swapped my Beckoners to Depleted's and I haven't looked back. I run 0 Beckoners and 3 Depleted's nowadays and it's working like a charm to my liking, they take a ton to remove from the table, they are deceptively fast and when you do get rid of them, it's brilliance and an Illuminated to the face next. Lynch is more than capable of dishing out Brilliance without the Beckoners. 

General thoughts in order or most to least important (other than Lynch and Huggy obviously):

Illuminated- borderline cheating.  It's a model worth 7ss if you can't give a target Brilliance and positively bonkers if you can.  A Lynch Crew leaving home without at least two is a mistake.

Beckoners- As much as I'm not in love with them, if they're not in your crew, the only ways to hand out Brilliance are Hungering Darkness and Lynch and that's not a situation you want to be in.  They're also a good mobility enhancer for you crew.  Not that Kind of girl is a trigger that allows them to move your models while still getting upfield themselves.  They can also be used to annoy people by just standing next to them when they have Brilliance, since attacks targeting them from Brilliant models suffer a negative twist (although they have no melee range, they can still physically block things with their base).

Stitched Togethers- These things are great.  Creeping fog is a useful way to keep nuisance ranged attacks off of you (though it won't stop most dedicated shooting), Gamble Your Life has positively stupid damage and Gambler works great with Lynch's native hand manipulation (you can draw two cards, then discard an ace and immediately get it back).  They're also Darkened, so they can benefit from a positive twist to their attacks against Brilliant models if you have the Addict upgrade (although they can't really benefit from the positive damage twist unless you're using their hooks and you shouldn't be using their hooks).

Terror Tots- Good objective grabbers and if you have the Ace of Masks they essentially auto sprint.  My issue with them is they don't really do much work and they pad the activations of a crew that already has a fair number of activations (without really trying to squeeze in a lot of models you usually have 8 activations).  They always strike me as a luxury that doesn't quite fit with the crew.

Graves and Tannen- I like them as models and in other crews, but they natively have so little synergy with Lynch and co, that its hard to give them a solid recommendation.  They have almost no interaction with Brilliance, they're not minions, so they don't get the benefits of Addict and stripped of that you get a mobility enhancing beatstick in a crew that already has mobility and beatsticks and a control piece that lacks a clearly defined role.  If you have Lilith, Graves works really well with her and Tannen is money with Pandora, but I've ultimately dropped both from Lynch's crew.

Depleted- If they weren't insignificant, we might be in business, but without the ability to interact, they really don't do much.  Their attacks are really sad, to the point where they don't threaten much, and while they seem really durable on paper, their low Df and Wp means they eat pretty much everything, so their high Wd count goes by fast.  They're nice padding for activations, but they exist in a list that doesn't need activation padding and they're an okay speedbump in a list that already has a 6 wound incorporeal terrror causing speedbump with a 3" melee range that can be brought back and that costs 0 points.

I will say, if you can unattach yourself from the idea of Huggy surviving or doing real work you can get a lot further with Lynch.  He's pretty obnoxious to remove and with Rising Sun removing him gets your opponent nowhere, so just double walking him every turn to engage a lot of stuff and say "alright burn through my 6 wound incorporeal butt to be able to do anything meaningful" is really effective and gives the rest of your crew plenty of activations an breathing room.  He's also a pretty stupid target for Bodyguard since it only requires him be on the table (and above half health at the end of the game, but you can remedy that by killing him, then unburying him with Rising Sun).

Mastershake, that's a great rundown. Thank you.

Terror Tots- Good objective grabbers and if you have the Ace of Masks they essentially auto sprint.  My issue with them is they don't really do much work and they pad the activations of a crew that already has a fair number of activations (without really trying to squeeze in a lot of models you usually have 8 activations).  They always strike me as a luxury that doesn't quite fit with the crew.

I'd just like to say that I've done the Terror Tot thing. However, I've recently switched over to Gupps, and find them to be dramatically better at the same job. For the same Ace, you get Leap. While you lose out on some speed early on, you gain the ability to leave engagements without a test, and the ability to lay two scheme markers in an activation if unengaged.

• 3 weeks later...

Depleted = Neverborn Tar Pit...that explodes and hands out Brilliance

I love my Depleted (more than my Beckoners...I rarely even touch Beckoners now). Depleted just eat up so much of the enemy AP to take out (for a 4ss model), they have hard to wound, hard to kill,  :+fate 's on anyone trying to disengage from them, do 2 damage and give brilliance for a turn to those around them when they die, and if you want to make them especially annoying, take a Black Blood Shaman with them and give them Black Blood. Shaman can then turn around and heal up the tarpits while doing further damage to their targets.  :D It makes things like Turf War brutal when you run 2+ of them in there.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought the ACE of MASKS trick worked at first too. Wrong.

Read the rule for

ACE IN THE HOLE: When an ace from this crew's deck would be placed in the discard pile during another friendly model's activation......

The ace you play from your hand is fine and dandy BUT it is played from the HAND and NOT the DECK so does not recirculate. 

Pretty straight forward but tons of people play this wrong.

To help those that might miss it in the FAQ as it is in the 10T section and people sometimes forget to check there.

Q: With Jakob Lynch’s Ace in the Hole Ability, can he only place aces which were flipped directly off the top of the deck into his hand? Or can he place aces into his hand which had been cheated/discarded as well?

A: He can place any aces into his hand which ended up in the discard pile, regardless of whether they were cheated, discarded, flipped, etc. The language "When an ace from this Crew’s deck…" is simply meant to clarify that Jakob cannot place aces from his opponent’s deck into his hand.

So yes, you can recycle the Ace of Mask in your hand for your terror tots or gupps.