The fate of the clear plastics

Eldarion

I've seen a few references (and pictures of) "test run" kits in shaded clear plastics (particularly the Tara box), although this came and went before I discovered Malifaux.

I'm curious what the outcome was.  Should we expect to see regular runs of clear plastics?  Only some limited production run kits?  Or is it sufficiently more expensive to be a "flop"?

There seem to be several minis that seem like they just call out for clear plastics.  Elementals such as fire and ice gamin or Shang.  Spell effects on some of the Avatar kits.  And, perhaps more than any other mini - Kirai's Avatar.

• Like 1

The only clear sets that have been made available were done so through last year's Black Friday sale, which aside from Gen Con releases, is traditionally the only other big online store event with exclusives and the like.

While they mey do the same thing this year for the Black Friday sale, or even GenCon I suppose, I would not imagine the clear sets will be a "regular" thing or release.

Since the "death" of blisters, several Masters, Henchmen, and totems are crew box only, and even some that are not, like the Steam Arachnids, are parts of the larger sprue when you by the three-pack box, so, I would not expect to see many single models in clear.  

Even if they are tooled on their own sprue like some of the bigger models, I cannot think of a whole lot that would benefit from being clear, although maybe the Spirit models for a Kirai or Yan Lo would be worth doing for them.

I'm a brand new player to the game.

So as a new player to the Malifaux game I have to ask what exactly is the deal with limited edition boxes like the Tara box.  I she her in the 2nd ed ruleset.  My FLGS can't get that box, and when I check for it on eBay it's like  a $200 box.   *** shakes head *** what?!?!  So I ask one of the other players and they say that box has only been release a couple of times and I'll have to wait for it to release again.

I'm not used to my tabletop games having rarity like baseball cards.  I really don't get it.  The metal molds to make the plastics cost a pretty penny.  Why don't they release the models that are in the rulebook on a regular basis?

They don't. Wyrd will occasionally release alternate sculpts of miniatures with the exact same rules as the regular models. They are often called "Miss Models" or "Nightmare edition" models.

The Tara box is the first instance I know of with Wyrd's miniatures where the "Nightmare Edition" came out before the regular version, and in this case significantly before. There will be a regular version of Tara released in the future, and it's cost will be in line with the other sets.

Edit: Oh The Nightmare Dreamer and Chompy came out before the regular version, but in that case it was only 2 months that separated the releases.

What Fetid said - Tara's "current" box was a limited release for Gencon only. At some point later on they'll bring her out with new sculpts as a standard release, which from what we last heard will probably be in 2015. 

In the meantime there's always the option of proxying Tara and her crew with other minis? In a casual setting nobody will really care and at non-official Wyrd tournaments most TOs are going to be more forgiving of proxies for crews that have not been officially released (eg Tara). 

I'm good with proxying and all that, and as a matter of fact I found some extra ronin on my desk in the form of some Anima Tactics ladies I had sitting half painted and I've got a Steampunk Dorothy that I'm sure I can use for somethng.

Past that I'm usually find myself drawn to certain sculpts and in the Tara box it's that (particular) big monstery guy.  I want to assemble and paint it.  I guess limited edition stuff just annoys me.   Maybe they'll do another run on the Tara box sometime before the standard one comes out.  Waiting a year sucks.  I guess now that I'm in the Malifaux when new instances of Nightmare stuff comes out if I like it I'll be in the position to buy it.

man .. and here I am shamelessly promoting my ebay links for those interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301227962598?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301227969813?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

but on the upside I do hope they avoid introducing clear plastic pieces in the sets, Lazarus glow tubes were more of an annoyance then any benefit. Now if they offered a mini-add on sprue exclusively through their web store then that might give more options for those interested

I havent seen a lot of painted pics of the special sets where the effect was put to good use. Not even properly based non painted clear plastic models.

Personally I havent really seen the point. So I dont own any but nothing has so far convinced me thats a misstake on my part.