Cheating Black on Red

afeinman

Question

Here was an odd situation from the tourney yesterday--

I'd waded Ototo into a pack of enemies, and he was gonna die. To avoid my opponent killing him (Reckoning), I hit him with the Dawn Serpent's flame--intending to cheat up the damage and land some bursts all around. So I elected not to relent.

The randomizing flip went great, but when I flipped for his defense Ototo flipped the Red Joker. Ordinarily you can't cheat against the Red Joker, right? What made things really interesting was I had the Black Joker in my hand.

So the question was--could I cheat Black onto Red?

The TO ruled (in the moment) that yes, I could, because my opponent hadn't flipped the Red Joker, and that's how it reads. (Also, because it was hilarious, and I was losing badly anyways...)

What say you? Can you cheat Black onto your own Red?

12 answers to this question

Just like a normal duel, I would say you have two models with totals. The one with the red joker can cheat, while the one facing the red joker can't.

So you could cheat ototo's red to a black, but not cheat the dawn serpent's attack as that's facing the red, as far as I read it.

I had kind of a similar situation. An abomination tagged my model with cursed object. My model only had one wound left, and the caustic aura would kill him if i failed. I flipped  the red joker for my DF test, but then cheated with the Black Joker from my hand to fail it. Not only did that take care of cursed object, but I had frame for murder on my model as well. Opponent lost 1 vp, and I gained 2.

Alex, isn't that the way I ruled it...for the reasons Tuttleboy and The Godlyness mention.

Yup, you nailed it at the time. I was just curious what everyone else thought, and also wanted to publicize your decision as I feel it was the right one.

Plus, it was hilarious.