Etiquette regarding scheme markers

Ikvar

Question

I was wondering what people are considering proper behavior when you lay down a scheme marker for different schemes- lets say that you have Line In the Sand and Plant Explosive, would I need to have a clear goal as to which scheme I have placed them for, or can I decide this as the game goes on?

14 answers to this question

You pick your schemes at the start of the game but the intention of the scheme marker is lay revealed when you score on your selected s heme. I other words totally goal to place a s hem marker on the center line with the idea in your mind its for line in the sand and then as your opponentapproaches it to bblow it up for plant explosives

You can decide when the time comes to score VP, however each scheme maker can only ever score vp for one scheme at a time. (ie you couldnt count a scheme marker touching terrain in the opponents deployment zone towards both breakthrough and plant evidence)

You can decide when the time comes to score VP, however each scheme maker can only ever score vp for one scheme at a time. (ie you couldnt count a scheme marker touching terrain in the opponents deployment zone towards both breakthrough and plant evidence)

To be a bit more specific...the rulebook tells us to remove the "used" scheme marker, so no you can´t usely use a scheme marker for two different schemes/strats.

The question was not whether you could use a single scheme marker for two schemes though, that part is pretty obvious and self-explanatory ;)

I just wanted to be sure it was not bad manner to simply decide which of the two schemes it would count towards, when you need to score VP :)

I just wanted to be sure it was not bad manner to simply decide which of the two schemes it would count towards, when you need to score VP :)

Oh, totally misunderstood what you was asking!

Is it bad manners? No i dont think it is. Placing sheme markers like that is good game tactics imo.

I think people are misunderstanding the OP's original post. I think he means is it OK to have three Schemies along the centre line for LITS, and then realise that there are enemy models within 3" of all of them and declare them as Plant Explosives at the end of that turn (instead of being LITS schemies), even though he'd placed them for the other scheme.

I had wondered about this myself, and to be honest I would say it's well within the spirit of the game for you to hedge your bets on what you're planting schemes for until they become useful. After all, you can drop them as a ruse if you want to.

I think people are misunderstanding the OP's original post. I think he means is it OK to have three Schemies along the centre line for LITS, and then realise that there are enemy models within 3" of all of them and declare them as Plant Explosives at the end of that turn (instead of being LITS schemies), even though he'd placed them for the other scheme.

I had wondered about this myself, and to be honest I would say it's well within the spirit of the game for you to hedge your bets on what you're planting schemes for until they become useful. After all, you can drop them as a ruse if you want to.

Short answer: Yes. Long answer:Usually.

Scheme markers are just scheme markers until they are used. Once you use them, you decide what they are for. You may have intended them for one or another, but that has no bearing on what they end up counting for.

That being said, some schemes lay down markers which are explicitly not Scheme markers. These cannot be switched.

part of the idea behind scheme markers is your oppoennt not knowing what they are for.

I will happily drop scheme markers if i have spare Ap, even if none of the schemes I have picked need a scheme marker, just to confuse the opponent, or draw them to/from certain areas.

Until you use the scheme marker for something, there is no need to say what it is for, or even decide your self what it is for.

Short answer: Yes. Long answer:Usually.

Scheme markers are just scheme markers until they are used. Once you use them, you decide what they are for. You may have intended them for one or another, but that has no bearing on what they end up counting for.

That being said, some schemes lay down markers which are explicitly not Scheme markers. These cannot be switched.

I'm pretty sure Schemes only ever involving dropping Scheme Markers, not other types of Markers. The key is generally that Strategies often involve different types of markers, such as Stake a Claim which drops Claim Markers. Or some of the Story Encounter Strategies and Special Terrain, which involve other sorts of named markers. (Evidence Markers, Book Markers, Gem Markers, etc.)

I'm pretty sure Schemes only ever involving dropping Scheme Markers, not other types of Markers. The key is generally that Strategies often involve different types of markers, such as Stake a Claim which drops Claim Markers. Or some of the Story Encounter Strategies and Special Terrain, which involve other sorts of named markers. (Evidence Markers, Book Markers, Gem Markers, etc.)

Yeah I cant think of any schemes where you use anything other then scheme markers. Besides you are not allowed to use scheme markers for things like Stake a claim(which is also a strategy) where you very simply need a Claim marker- a claim marker and scheme marker is not the same :)