How to take on a Ranged Heavy Crew: A Beginner's Guide

Dirial

Perdita Ortega and her Family

The dreaded Neverborn hunters of the Guild. They are tough, they are fast, and all of them shoot like it's the End of Days. Worse, some of them are good in melee, too. What to do?

As mentioned, bring anti-shooting tech. Perdita herself can ignore much of it, but the rest of the Family cannot. Even Dita needs LoS.

Perdita is ridiculously resilient, as long as Francisco is protecting her with his "El Mayor". Francsico is by far not as resilient as she. Try to kill him first (perferably with something expendable, as the killer is likely to be taken down by Dita in response).

Perdita really doesn't like blasts. Really not. I mean her stats are marvellous, but her Wds are not. Blast onto her and she will go down.

Don't bee-line for her in turn one. Dita has a very strong assassination game in the first two turns, so try to keep your Master away. Warning signs that your opponent may attempt this are the Student of Conflict, Papa Loco and the Vengeance Bullet upgrade.

Dita and Francisco don't like conditions, as they cannot Shrug them off. Burning is especially hated by them.

Don't underestimate Perditas speed. She only has Walk 5, but don't let it fool you. Especially if the Nephilim is in the crew, Ortegas are blindingly fast. The Neph can also free other Ortegas from melee. Something like that should die. I mean, look at him. It's probably a mercy.

Ortegas put out a lot of pressure, but they can't take it as well. Harry them with pot shots, kill the Nephilim. Once one of them goes down, they begin to fold quickly. They are also always starved for cards. If your opponent holds onto high cards to protect Dita, go for the others. If he plays them to do damage go for her. Her stats are good, but they can't protect her forever, especially if Francisco hit the dirt.

Von Schill and the Freikorps

I don't have experience with these guys, but from the cards I'd say they are similar to Ortegas. More Minions and slightly tougher, but not that precise with their shooting. Similar tactics should work against them.

Ophelia LaCroix and her Kin

These are similar to Ortegas. But they shoot more and their shooting does more damage. Sounds fair, right? Well, they also fold faster than Ortegas. Look for a Slop Hauler and kill it, and the shooting will be cut in half. Also, as always against Gremlins you are encouraged to bring some Wp attacks. Luring Rami off a tower is just great, as is Obeying Pere. Apply anti-Ortega tactics for the rest.

Rasputina and – no, it's just her

Rasputina is ranged Master with a non-ranged crew. Well, not quite, as she like her Acolytes and Silent Ones, but the main ranged threat is Rasputina herself. And the difficult thing is: You can't really hide from her. She can draw LoS from her Minions, and if you bind them in melee, she will just blast into that, as she doesn't care about them. You also can't destroy them, as they will end your activation if you punch them. Further, she can paralyze your key models. In short, she just bones melee crews.

A big thing to consider vs Raspy is not to clump up your models. Raspy gets a lot of her overall dmg from the blasts she deals out. Take those away and she's still good, but not on the stellar end of damaging masters.
The reversal is to ignore that advice IF you can dogpile Raspy herself so she can't push away if she took Armor of December.
When charging or moving into melee with ANY frozen heart model DO NOT, EVER stop in base contact with them. Always, always, always leave a space between the models. Raspy can paralyze from range and if she hits one of her frozen heart models and you are in base contact you don't even get a resist. Leaving a space might not save your model from paralyze but it forces raspy to spend ap moving into base to base with you rather than just getting to to do 2 AP worth of mischief and then paralyzing you.
And the best piece of advice is, as always, look at the scheme pool and try to figure out which of the Schemes Raspy is going to have the most trouble stopping and do them. Make her inefficient at stoping you from getting points, make her spend AP and burn actions as best you can.

Also, you should probably bring something with a ranged weapon. Rasputina arcs her spells, but she needs LoS to the Frozen Heart and needs to be in 10“. If you Lure her Minions, she has to walk. Every AP she is not casting is a win for you. If you shoot them dead, she can't arc in the first place.

Sonnia Criid and the Witch Hunters

You think, Perdita is bad? You think Raspy is a mean blaster? Welcome to the horror show that is the Guild's Chief Witch Hunter. She can see you through walls and can ignore cover. Then, she will hit your whole crew with only one attack. And if you die, you will be turned into her best friend, the Witchling Stalker.

Most advice given about Rasputina is valid against Sonnia, as well. Don't clump up. Try to shoot her Minions instead of killing them in melee. Bring something that can end Conditions. Dogpile her. Oh, and Armor is rather good, as her damage is not that high.

• Like 9

Awesome. You get my nod....no harking here.

I play several ranged masters (and have been since Malifaux was new......2009 I think) and this is all solid advice. You covered the Masters I know best very well ('Dita, Sonnia, Raspy).

All I'd like to reiterate is TERRAIN......TERRAIN.....TERRAIN. This is the biggest most common problem I have seen from new players. Unless you're an Infinity player, most of the other common games use far, far too little terrain, and of too little variety.....and most of it is big honkin' stuff like 8"-12" across.....it's just not suitable for Malifaux. The two terrain articles linked in the OP are spot on and very useful.

• Like 1

Good article. The only thing I can think it might need is a how to use cover section. It might seem obvious to most, but line of sight rules differ from system to system. Things like being within 1"  are vital to its use, and knowing where you are safe and so forth.

One question I've had in reading this and the other terrain articles is how hard is it to get right terrain right? Is there a pretty broad range of terrain mixes and setups that will give you a good game? Or do you have to be pretty careful in walking the line between creating a table where Perdita dominates to one where Seamus does, to take the two masters listed in the terrain articles. From the detailed discussion of type and percentage it seems like you have to be very careful and precise in setting up tables to avoid throwing the advantage to one master or the other. Or is there a pretty broad range of setups that are 'close enough'?

Thanks for the time in putting this together, and for answering so many of my questions to begin with. :)

One question I've had in reading this and the other terrain articles is how hard is it to get right terrain right? Is there a pretty broad range of terrain mixes and setups that will give you a good game? Or do you have to be pretty careful in walking the line between creating a table where Perdita dominates to one where Seamus does, to take the two masters listed in the terrain articles. From the detailed discussion of type and percentage it seems like you have to be very careful and precise in setting up tables to avoid throwing the advantage to one master or the other. Or is there a pretty broad range of setups that are 'close enough'?

Thanks for the time in putting this together, and for answering so many of my questions to begin with. :)

While it is important to get terrain right compared to other games, it is not quite as critical as your question makes it seem. I have one box of terrain that has nothing but some forests, some rocks, some individual trees, some ruined walls, and some mud pits. That covers the gamut of what you need as far as variety of terrain types, but it isn't anything crazy. Having a good mix is more important to me than anything else........then, as long as the amount of terrain is between 35% and 50% of the table you should be good.

There is no magic 'this is perfectly balanced terrain' formula......some crews may have a minor advantage or disadvantage in some cases (and unless you're setting up a WarmaHordes table.....if you follow the advice given here, it will be very minor), but next game it will be different. This minor advantage may seem bigger to newer players, but it really isn't......all it does is create new tactical challenges which can only help you. If you think you're at a disadvantage with terrain, look at it as a learning experience......how can you still use this available terrain? It will make you a better player when the terrain favors you more.

• Like 1

Ok, so what I take away from this is that you have a pretty wide tolerance in setting up terrain before you completely throw the balance off. Tipping it a bit one way or the other is not uncommon, but totally game-altering imbalances should be easy to spot and correct before play begins. Fair statement?

Ok, so what I take away from this is that you have a pretty wide tolerance in setting up terrain before you completely throw the balance off. Tipping it a bit one way or the other is not uncommon, but totally game-altering imbalances should be easy to spot and correct before play begins. Fair statement?

Totally. Once you have greater experience, it can be quite fun to skew the terrain balance one way or another.......like playing on a big forest table full of dense and severe terrain.......a Marcus crew would love that, a 'Dita crew not so much........but it presents unique tactical challenges to overcome........and if the 'Dita crew can still pull off a win it's a feather in the cap.

Thanks for the support, guys!

Good article. The only thing I can think it might need is a how to use cover section. It might seem obvious to most, but line of sight rules differ from system to system. Things like being within 1"  are vital to its use, and knowing where you are safe and so forth.

Good idea. I'll be away for the weekend, but afterwards I'll work on something.

Quite nice write-up. One thing I'd add, you got the name right, but then didn't actually cover what you do bring to a knife fight ;). Regardless of crew, I try to bring at least 1-2 competent gunfighters, particularly if I know I have a decent chance of fighting a range-heavy list. Being able to provide covering fire to your melee crew really helps when your opponent might otherwise just stand out in the open, blasting away as you try to run at him with your pointy sticks..

Two newbie questions:  

A "ranged" crew would be one that fights well and benefits from wide open spaces while a non-ranged crew prefers cover and close spaces?

Would game balance be reasonable if both crews are "ranged?"

That is one way top look at it, but I'd rather say a ranged crew is  a crew that prefers to sit further back and attack at range, often suffering and overcoming penalties for terrain in the way, whereas a non ranged crew prefers to be up close and personal. Therefore, Ranged crews prefer open Lines of Sight, with less cover and blocking terrain, whereas a Melee crew wants those, so they can get close to the ranged crew before getting killed.

Balance? maybe, but it's hard to say. You have to keep a few things in mind. First, the goal is not "kill your enemy" so setting up what is essentially a shootout would probably be more distraction than anything. Also, because you are focusing on schemes and strategies, whichever crew has better tools for accomplishing those is going to end up with a much larger advantage in such a situation, because once the shooting is done, they don't have to spend as much AP to accomplish their goals.

And of course, there is no way, RAW, to know if both crews will be shooty.

• Like 2

Totally, totally agree with Dracomax on all points.

A further point is although people call them "shooty crews", a shooty crew in Malifaux is much more likely to be a Combined Arms crew that favors shooting. More than half the models may be shooters....and the entire crew may actually have a ranged attack (the Ortegas with some Pistoleros for example) but some of those models will be used for melee........(Pistoleros don't mind getting in, Papa can get in so he can blow up......'Cisco usually prefers melee....and 'Dita really doesn't mind it either). Raspy is probably considered a ranged crew by many, but it's usually only Raspy that's really ranged....the rest of the crew's job is to get in.

You'd have to pick a pretty specific crew and really only play in a specific way to be a true "shooty crew".

• Like 1