Hiring austringers?

wizuriel

Hello.

So reading the forums a lot of people seem to swear by Guild Austringers, theoryfaulixing though I don't really see the appeal. Most people seem to use them for either long range harass, or their deliver orders.

So damage wise their attack while likely to hit, doesn't have any more damage than other guild shooting.

Deliver orders seems amazing, but you're effectively just giving up the austringers action for another model to take that extra interact action. For the price of the austringer wouldn't you just be better off hiring 1 extra model instead?

Or is this one of those models you just need to play a few times to really see how good it is? 

It can hit things that otherwise cant be hit as the raptor ignores LoS and Cover - this gives it a functionality you don't get anywhere else.

also, look at that mask trigger - making an opponent discard 2 cards is frankly amazing and can swing turns.

• Like 1

They are great! 

At 12" Not only can they ignore Cover and LoS they don't randomise when using their Raptor in engagements due to the lack of the projectile symbol on the range. When focused they gain the projectile symbol but gain +6" and the +'s to Attack and Damage Flips which is pretty awesome. 

They can also use Deliver Orders to push people out of engagements they don't want to be in and it's able to get you an extra scheme marker where you need it up to 18" away again ignoring LoS etc. 

True their damage track isn't stellar but it's the utility that comes with it. Sure with Critical Strike it's the same as a Peacekeeper however it's not subject to cover which is huge! Many models rely on cover to keep them healthy, not requiring LoS means there is literally nowhere you can hide unless you are 19" away. 

They are a steal for their points and worth it almost every time. I don't use them every game but they are certainly very useful additions to most Guild crews

Or is this one of those models you just need to play a few times to really see how good it is? 

Play them and you will see how good they are. 

They are so flexible, they can

Force your opponent to discard cards with the Distract trigger. 

Deliver orders a model to score you VP

Shoot into combat with no randomising (when not focused)

Hit often due to Sh 7.

Can hide out of LOS so generally they survive a game more often then not.

They dont really do a lot of damage but you can usually kill weak objective runners if you are willing to cheat/flip lucky.

You can do fine without them but they are VERY good.

They have their place, and it is a good place, but they aren't by any means a steal. Just good value.

qft. 

They're amazing at what they do, but they've got a reputation which means they'll get a bit of heat for it. I've heard those that say two austringers in every list hands down forever, but that seems shortsighted, and inflexible. Dracomax is all over every list forum which seems to be trying to hammer down a takes all comers list saying that this is a game of flexibility, malleability. It's charm is in the ability to tailor make a crew to handle the problems of the day.

Austringers can solve some solid problems. I love them for Vendetta, as it's pretty easy to get the first attack on something with an austringer. Potentially harder to deal a killing blow- as their damage profile isn't remarkable. I like them for line in the sand (If I find myself neeeeeding to take it) just due to the incredible number of scheme markers you really need to get full points for that. You might even put 'em out for frame for murder, as if you leave a corner juuuust visible and make 'em a nuncience they'll have to come deal with him. :P

But there are all kinds of models that fill all kinds of roles. Both at cost and cheaper. 

ENinja

• Like 1

They are good models for sure, but still I am struggling to find room for them, now for the few times I've played Sonnia there's just no room for an Austringer and almost for the cost of one you get Abuela Ortega and that model to me jumps out as amazing potential, still yet to field her :)

Don't get me started on Abuela! She is amazing.

I've been wanting to try and field a Watcher with Sonia. I wanna see how "View from up High" works with her- Or perdita. For Dita, as she ignores cover, to be able to see from a different vantage point could be amazing. She could literally shot someone through a wall. :P 

Don't get me started on Abuela! She is amazing.

I've been wanting to try and field a Watcher with Sonia. I wanna see how "View from up High" works with her- Or perdita. For Dita, as she ignores cover, to be able to see from a different vantage point could be amazing. She could literally shot someone through a wall. :P

And if you bring Sam Hopkins as well, You can almost get rid of abilities to add burning, since aside from a bit of extra damage, the ability to ignore cover/LOS is the reason you were taking quite a bit of it.

I need to find and fix up my Hoffman crew and put them down on the table again.

And if you bring Sam Hopkins as well, You can almost get rid of abilities to add burning, since aside from a bit of extra damage, the ability to ignore cover/LOS is the reason you were taking quite a bit of it.

Unfortunately (maybe fortunately, depending on your perspective?) "View from up High" only allows the friendly Leader model to draw LoS from this model to it's target. So Sam wouldn't get to benefit unless he was targeting someone that Sonia had already lit up.

C.Hoffman is amazing I ran him at a tournament last weekend, and intend to run him in the stories encounter at adepticon. :) He's a freakin' brick.

ENinja

Unfortunately (maybe fortunately, depending on your perspective?) "View from up High" only allows the friendly Leader model to draw LoS from this model to it's target. So Sam wouldn't get to benefit unless he was targeting someone that Sonia had already lit up.

C.Hoffman is amazing I ran him at a tournament last weekend, and intend to run him in the stories encounter at adepticon. :) He's a freakin' brick.

ENinja

I liked him before, he looks interesting now, but I'm having so much fun with the ones I've been playing it's hard to find time to break him out.