Is there a checklist for recent errata updates when replacing cards?

dope_danny

So i bought my first crew boxes (Shadows of Redchapel and Rail Crew) and after a few tutorial games at my FLGS i was told "hey man, just fyi you are gonna want to update your cards. Sure enough i check online and my Rotten Belles have been adjusted to have lower hp and Hard to Kill has been adjusted. Clearly i have some housekeeping to do with these boxes.

My question is how do i make sure i'm consistent with it?

I have been directed to wargamevault for physical prints since i bought the app on my phone already but would like to keep a physical copy on the table during play but one thing i can't find is a checklist of what needs changing.

For example i bought the Rail Crew box. What cards for both characters and spells have been changed since that boxes release? unless i check on the app for every card one by one i can see changes but not when. So is there anywhere you can check for something like "bought X crew, cards Y and Z changed since release please update"? i've seen the Wyrd site has the latest changes but are the rest archived and searchable anywhere?

-and secondly i have the 2E core rulebook and know there are two additional books. Is there any idea if a 3rd is on the way soon? and will they only include new models/crews or these updated character cards as well?

The most authoritative source of things that changed would likely be the FAQ/Errata page located here.  You can even print stuff from here if you'd rather not deal with wargamevault.

As far as additional books goes, there have been 5 books so far (the core rulebook and then 4 follow ups)  These only contain new models, or at least they don't contain erratas to existing models*

*Technically books 1 and 2 are updated rules to bring old 1st edition models into the second.  Since you're just getting started though I'd assume you're starting in M2E and are not coming in with a pile of old 1st edition metal/plastics.

For the second book onwards, some of them have custom scenarios but they're not essential. They're mostly fluff/card list repositories.

The exception is the third book, Shifting Loyalities, which contains rules for the campaign system. The campaign system is pretty fun if your shop runs it, and while you may have someone there who will let you use it while necessary, it's a solid buy if you want to do the campaign system.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dope_danny said:

Yeah i picked up the larger 2E book with all the fluff in it. Looking online there are 4 books after. Are they just basically a card list for all the models added after? or do they add new scenarios and campaign ideas?

-and if so is getting them in order expected or are some more recommended than others?

Book 2, Crossroads, contains a large number of general upgrades and crews (model wise its similar in size to the main rules). There are new story scenarios

Book 3 contains the campaign rules and about 8 models per faction

Book 4 contains about 1 new master per faction, and about 7 other models, and a new story scenario

Book 5 contains about 5 new models per faction and 2 new upgrades for each  master.

The order you want to get them will depend on what you want. 

Book 2 has the most models to look at, as well as more general upgrades (These upgrades are sold as cards in the general upgrade pack along with the upgrades in book 1).

Book 3 is essential for playing  a campaign (at least for 1 person to have a copy)

Book 5 brings about new upgrades for existing masters, so is very useful for changing the play of your existing master

Book 4 brings new masters so is interesting from that

• Like 1

All of them add a number of additional story scenario missions. If you enjoy the fluff, I'd pick them up (or grab a digital version). If you aren't super into the fluff, I'd just get boxes of models (they all come with their cards) or pay for the App (and see full rules) to get a preview of what models you might want to pick up.

• Agree 1

You know, I would tell you the way I have chosen. I don't mess with the printed cards, I have just downloaded the official app (Bad Things Happen), paid 10$ for the cards to be there, and I am damn glad

1. The cards are always there, you can't forget them unless you forget your smartphone.
  2. The cards there are always automatically updated and are always up to date. 
  3. The cards in the app are easier to reach if you have a lot of models in play. 
  4. You can let your opponent scan the QR code of your crew so they can read it while you are explaining what your models can do, and they can read about your crew later to reflex about the game. 
  5. Every Upgrade's effects are automatically added to each model when you build a crew with Upgrades. 
  6. You don't have to carry a large box of cards or a large book with you to routinely read cards and experiment with building crews, you can do such experiments when in public transport, or waiting for something or someone, etc. 
  7. More things are automatically accounted, so you have less stuff to mess up with. 

Not to say that the app doesn't have any problems -- it does. But the benefits outrun the downsides by far, so go get the app. :) And good luck on your journey. 

6 hours ago, Baskakov_Dmitriy said:

You know, I would tell you the way I have chosen. I don't mess with the printed cards, I have just downloaded the official app (Bad Things Happen), paid 10$ for the cards to be there, and I am damn glad

1. The cards are always there, you can't forget them unless you forget your smartphone.
  2. The cards there are always automatically updated and are always up to date. 
  3. The cards in the app are easier to reach if you have a lot of models in play. 
  4. You can let your opponent scan the QR code of your crew so they can read it while you are explaining what your models can do, and they can read about your crew later to reflex about the game. 
  5. Every Upgrade's effects are automatically added to each model when you build a crew with Upgrades. 
  6. You don't have to carry a large box of cards or a large book with you to routinely read cards and experiment with building crews, you can do such experiments when in public transport, or waiting for something or someone, etc. 
  7. More things are automatically accounted, so you have less stuff to mess up with. 

Not to say that the app doesn't have any problems -- it does. But the benefits outrun the downsides by far, so go get the app. :) And good luck on your journey. 

I love having the app as a reference but I find the cards in the app much more cumbersome to use while playing than the cards are due to the way the data is presented. Once you’ve loaded your crew list into an encoutrr the app also makes it very difficult to determine which abilities and actions are printed on the models card or on an upgrade for the times that it matters.

6 hours ago, WWHSD said:

Once you’ve loaded your crew list into an encoutrr the app also makes it very difficult to determine which abilities and actions are printed on the models card or on an upgrade for the times that it matters.

Well, I didn't try using it to track encounters, I use black d6 dice placed near the physical models to track wounds and coloured d6 dice to track conditions. Schemes are marked on paper. 

6 hours ago, WWHSD said:

I find the cards in the app much more cumbersome to use while playing than the cards are due to the way the data is presented

It happens so if you aren't familiar with your Crew or if it is very small (4 models). If you use fingerprint-based or swipe unlock method on your smartphone and don't need to enter password each time, it takes around half a second to reach the app. From my experience, in a Crew of 8 models it takes less time to find the model in the app than on the table, you also save time passing cards to each other. 

If you are familiar with the crew and just need to look up a stat, or trigger wording, it is actually a whole lot easier to use the app, especially if your model has 3 or even more upgrades attached. 

2 hours ago, Baskakov_Dmitriy said:

Well, I didn't try using it to track encounters, I use black d6 dice placed near the physical models to track wounds and coloured d6 dice to track conditions. Schemes are marked on paper. 

As an example of what I'm talking about, look at Sandeep once you've added upgrades to him and see if you can tell which actions other models are able to use through his Beacon ability. Without removing all of his upgrades or exiting the encounter and bringing up his card in the model list.

2 hours ago, Baskakov_Dmitriy said:

It happens so if you aren't familiar with your Crew or if it is very small (4 models). If you use fingerprint-based or swipe unlock method on your smartphone and don't need to enter password each time, it takes around half a second to reach the app. From my experience, in a Crew of 8 models it takes less time to find the model in the app than on the table, you also save time passing cards to each other. 

If you are familiar with the crew and just need to look up a stat, or trigger wording, it is actually a whole lot easier to use the app, especially if your model has 3 or even more upgrades attached. 

With the card I get all of the information at a glance. With the app I need to drill down into each individual ability. I'm not sure how getting the information from the app is easier but that's cool if it works better for you. I think I'd like the app more if it had a "Card View" option. I don't typically have trouble finding the model card I'm looking for but that's probably because I tend to lay my cards out in a particular way. 

C1ox4zB.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1