Lore/Modeling Question: What is the GRifleman's Rifle?

OneKelvin

This is my first post. If it belongs elsewhere please let me know.

Now that that's outta the way, I'd like clarification.

This is a Guild Rifleman:
DSCN0316.JPG

Do you see that gun? I have looked through gun databases, firearms collection galleries, and watched more than a fair number of Forgotten Weapons vids trying to find a single repeating rifle that could match up to what is being held there. There are none.

That gun has a ramrod, heavy furniture clamps, and a flintlock mechanism. It is for all appearances a wheellock rifle

A this:

It's not a question of looks; personally I think wheellocks look bad-ase. It's a question of mechanics and firepower.

You see, they carried these things on the Mayflower. They are old guns. They take a long time to load. And it might just be me, but two shots a minute just doesn't seem to line up with the shoot-every turn riflemen.

Now there have been guns with an apparent wheel-lock mechanism that use cartridges in fiction, the pistol from Dishonored for instance, but that runs on whale-oil and I haven't found a similar analogue. So, what's the idea? Don't tell me the Guild can't afford "modern" guns for their soldiers? How do they manage a five-second reload (the length of a turn)? I love this model but it leaves me confused.

9 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Yeah, the guns aren't exactly the only thing not 100% legit in real life.

The other things are consistent though. The Netherborn have monsters, the Guild has monsters; the Arcanists have soulstone-powered machinery, the Guild has soulstone-powered machinery; the Outcasts have repeating rifles, the Guild has.... wheellocks?

Also I'm pretty sure that's some sort of logical fallacy. "The game takes place in a magic world; therefore I conclude that all the shirts button themselves, all the horses eat dirt, and wheellocks are capable of semi-automatic fire." The magic is consistent, the guns are what I'm questioning.

4 hours ago, Durza said:

Soulstones aren't a close enough analogue to whale oil for you? :P

If they mentioned that the Guild has custom-clockwork guns that fire soul-stone-laced ammunition I'd be happy. The only thing the whale oil does is provide propellant for the gun in a world where gunpowder is unheard of: I'm still fairly leery of the purpose behind the wind-up mechanism on the Dishonored gun too.

2 hours ago, OneKelvin said:

The other things are consistent though. The Netherborn have monsters, the Guild has monsters; the Arcanists have soulstone-powered machinery, the Guild has soulstone-powered machinery; the Outcasts have repeating rifles, the Guild has.... wheellocks?

Also I'm pretty sure that's some sort of logical fallacy. "The game takes place in a magic world; therefore I conclude that all the shirts button themselves, all the horses eat dirt, and wheellocks are capable of semi-automatic fire." The magic is consistent, the guns are what I'm questioning.

Have a chat with an engineer in robotics and ask if the robot designs seem feasible or practical. Hell, have a chat with a zoologist about the growth mechanic and subspecies of nephilim and how Graves is a nephilim and a mimic. I'm sure they would say it was backwards as hell! :)

Someone told an artist "make a cool looking dude with a rifle that fits into this steampunk stuff" and the artist delivered, nothing more, nothing less. The different models aren't even designed or sketched by the same people, hence the lack of consistency. In reality the nephilim would probably adapt to the tech level of humans and not stick with their ways if they wanted a chance to survive so we would have nephilim with the exact same tech as humans which would be boring.

The rifles might have been chosen to match the aesthetic of Lucius, the master who was most often making use of them. They were sculpts from 1.5 when the Guild had slightly more aesthetic influence from real life military history. Or (I'm creating information out of nothing at all, here, but it's been a pet theory of mine for a little while and antiquated guns would support it) the riflemen whose faces we never see are remnants who crossed over the first time the Breach opened, and simply refuse to stay dead, and cover their faces for the same reason the Judge does--to conceal the decay.

But I know very little about guns, and if you say that these are relics which can't fire at anything like their game mechanic's speed, I have to believe you.

16 hours ago, Durza said:

Soulstones aren't a close enough analogue to whale oil for you? :P

Well, that depends. Does a soulstone dissolve in kerosene or not? :P

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

The rifles might have been chosen to match the aesthetic of Lucius, the master who was most often making use of them. They were sculpts from 1.5 when the Guild had slightly more aesthetic influence from real life military history. Or (I'm creating information out of nothing at all, here, but it's been a pet theory of mine for a little while and antiquated guns would support it) the riflemen whose faces we never see are remnants who crossed over the first time the Breach opened, and simply refuse to stay dead, and cover their faces for the same reason the Judge does--to conceal the decay.

But I know very little about guns, and if you say that these are relics which can't fire at anything like their game mechanic's speed, I have to believe you.

Well, that depends. Does a soulstone dissolve in kerosene or not? :P

Could be - they do have the same uniform of the V1 guardsmen. That's probably the best theory I've heard so far.

Does a soulstone retain it's power if you grind it to a powder? You could mix the powder with kerosene and get something similar; just shake well before use!