How should I properly herald Obliteration?

MetaphoricDragn

If you play her outcast, play her fluffy or mercenary. fluffy models: Void wretch, Nothing beast, scion of the void. Good in-Theme contenders are Hannah, Aionius. Merc tara  is mostly mercenaries and "I pay better" but as beastbomb strongarm with scout  the field then overall freikorps and mercs (as fitting for  the scheme), librarian, hannah, lazarus, sue, johan, hans, jake, trapper , bishop , convicts etc I  for my part started  to prefer the merc-tara. She seems more adapteble and can do better counterplay.

• Like 1

I'm completely in love with Aionus, he's an absolute beast in most crews.

I'd get 1-2 death marshals to launch the beast-bomb engine, and they're good minions too, as well as in-theme.

Scion is just so much fun and can do some decent shenanigans on top of her survivability.

Hannah was boss with Ancient Tomes when Take Prisoner was a thing, but she's a solid model on her own if you can fit 10SS into the list. She still works agains the Wretches' and Beast's mechanic, so be careful.

I'm yet to use the Dead of Winter + Montresor + Nothing Beast combo, probably not worth getting another crew box for something this gimmicky (but absolutely get Jack when the time comes, he's a monster and the best Outcast master to date), but the opportunity to hit at Ca7 against -3Wp is appealing.

I really like the emissary with Tara if you are planning to beast bomb for two reasons. First he can bury a second model with his 0 action, second he can give one of the two models you bury companion via a trinket. This mans that you should be able to get 4 activations in a row, 2 at the end of turn 1 and two at the start of turn 2 as Tara can usually guarantee initiative with her upgrade.

3 minutes ago, PositronMike said:

I really like the emissary with Tara if you are planning to beast bomb for two reasons. First he can bury a second model with his 0 action, second he can give one of the two models you bury companion via a trinket. This mans that you should be able to get 4 activations in a row, 2 at the end of turn 1 and two at the start of turn 2 as Tara can usually guarantee initiative with her upgrade.

You can do a one-two at the top of a turn by Pulling the Void on your own model and then Symbioting it out, but that is indeed not as efficient.

I haven't tried the Obliteration Emissary yet mostly due to his bury needing a tome to trigger, that's up to 3 necessary suits in an average crew (Tara needs 7+ Crows to unbury, Karina needs 9+ Crows to summn). Still, a second (0) on the Donkey Man is great in any circumstances. The "now you go fast" aura is just an added bonus. Also, "Screaming from the void" is the best ability name ever. 

I like this list quite a bit.

Tara - Knowledge of Eternity, Dead of Winter, +1 upgrade to suit the schemes/strat
Karina - 0ss upgrade (forget the name, Faces in the void?)
Void Wretch x2
Death Marshall x2

Nothing Beast - Void Shield
Scion of the void - Scramble

Then you'd want 1 punk zombie, 1 drowned and some Guild Autopsies for summoning. 
Aionus would be my next purchase.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, SuperFly TNT said:

Pull of the Void (from Knowledge of Eternity upgrade) to give Bishop Fast and then bury via Glimpse of the Void trigger. Unbury a fast Bishop who can Charge and Flurry on the same activation. 

This is one of my standard ways of playing Tara. You can also do it at the start of turn 2, Tara pulls the void on bishop to pull him out, walk to where you want him and then unbury fast bishop a second time.

I've been experimenting with the 'Super Long Double Beast Bomb' which requires the Scion of the Void, another box of Void wretches and a death marshall alongside the box set (maybe the child as an extra cheap activation).

Bury the Scion with Tara making it fast and walk her twice

Try to out activate your opponent (bring lots of void wretches)

Use the DM to bury the N Beast last, before it activates

Walk Tara three times (so a potential 20" in total) and she can use the Scion's (0) to drop the nothing beast - unfortunately this doesn't chain, so your opponent can react if they still have activations

Smash some face with NB and have it use the Scion's (0) to unbury the Scion

Smash face with Scion.

It's a pretty win or lose situation at that point. Either you take out something big (maybe even 2) or your attacks fluff (the amount of times a dbl focussed Scion attack draws the black joker is amazing!).

• Like 1

On 23/03/2017 at 4:23 AM, DXXXVIII said:

If you play her outcast, play her fluffy or mercenary. fluffy models: Void wretch, Nothing beast, scion of the void. Good in-Theme contenders are Hannah, Aionius. Merc tara  is mostly mercenaries and "I pay better" but as beastbomb strongarm with scout  the field then overall freikorps and mercs (as fitting for  the scheme), librarian, hannah, lazarus, sue, johan, hans, jake, trapper , bishop , convicts etc I  for my part started  to prefer the merc-tara. She seems more adapteble and can do better counterplay.

Could you explain your Strongarm suit strategy a little more? I'm looking into Strongarm for my VS crew and if it can benefit my Tara crew all the better!

You'd be able to place Tara in a completely safe place while dropping the SAS as it can charge through terrain. Burning StF means it won't need LoS either so the whole process can begin from behind buildings, etc. Personally I've never found I needed StF as it's not too hard to position Tara behind terrain so that when she drops her bomb it has LoS and a charge lane to the target if necessary. There's no doubting it gives the tactic a bit more flexibility though, especially if your boards are very heavy with blocking terrain. It's a pretty telegraphed move though once your opponent has seen it once, but that can be used to your advantage too by creating a control area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking at starting with Ms.Tara myself.

Trying to get my head around Glimpse the Void (or Bury in general) mechanics which seem a little more limited than I had originally thought.

• Glimpse can only trigger if no other models are buried. So if the opponent has a buried model(s) I can't use Glimpse? Does this actually come up often (not sure if things like Ikiryo and LCB are buried or not?)
  • If I use Pine Box (or other mechanic) to bury a model I can't Glimpse?
  • But I could Glimpse and then still Pine Box? (Don't have the card in front of me, so not sure if Pine Box has a similar restriction on it?)
  • Models buried via Glimpse must unbury when another model is killed. Does this limit Tara's ability to unbury where/when she wants to for tactics like the beast bomb?

Hoping to get some obliteration into my local meta soon :)

You can Glimpse, then Pine Box, it's the way you do the double beast beast bomb.

You can also copy Pine Box with Hannah to get another bury, but that might be overkill.

If you have the cards you can summon with Karina, activate it, then bury it with Hannah's Void Record, whereupon, at the end of the turn, instead of losing half its wounds, gaining slow, and being buried, it loses half its wounds, gains slow, but is unburied so it's not taking up space.

Void Shield on the Nothing Beast allows friendly models within 10" to ignore buried enemy models for the purposes of Glimpse (friendlies still count) and given most of a themed Tara crew has the ability to bury enemy models that's pretty handy.

3 minutes ago, Freman said:

Void Shield on the Nothing Beast allows friendly models within 10" to ignore buried enemy models for the purposes of Glimpse (friendlies still count) and given most of a themed Tara crew has the ability to bury enemy models that's pretty handy.

Going by memory I think you might have that last part backwards. But I don't have my cards in front of me so I could be mistaken.

• Like 1