Monthly painting challenge 2017 -- March

prof_bycid

I feel a little... odd... posting here now, because I paint to a tabletop standard for personal reasons (mostly because I get too upset when a mini gets broken or chipped), and you guys don't have that problem. Very, very obviously don't have that problem...

However, I shall persevere! I got sidetracked a bit by a paying job. My gamestore owner got in the Ortegas and he wanted two things: 1) Dia de los Muertos facepaint, and 2) Raiders colors.

I'd like to think he's getting his money's worth. This was yesterday's work:

large.58c4c5e39ac51_malifaux-guildOrtega

I didn't see how messed up Fransisco's and Abuela's facepaint was until I took the pic - fixed it already. Also, Abeula's headlights are painted now. Still have the Nephilim and Papa Loco on my paint tray, mostly because I'm going to be doing Lelu/Lilitu next and the totem will share a lot of colors with them.

But I probably won't count those, as I didn't declare them at the start. :P

• Like 9

@iamfanboy They look great.  You don't need to post WIP midway; that is just for those that want to.  We all enjoy seeing things coming along mid-month though.  I think it is fine to add in a few more models at this point.  As long as you declare enough for your chosen level and finish that amount, you're meeting the monthly requirement.

I'm pretty well down to just the Pathfinder who has most of a block done on him so far, but still needs the rest of the steps to make him whole. I kept Wesley simple because I didn't want to lose the detail/trim work on his clothes, and Datsue Ba I actually did a proper job of highlighting and such for what is the first time ever and I am pretty stoked about it. I might call it at that but we will see how the week goes!

That's:

Apprentice Wesley: 3SS

Poison Gamin: 5SS

Datsue Ba: 8SS

Total: 26SS

rsz_1wip.jpg

• Like 7

@wizuriel nice vibrant colour. Did you paint the skin and the gloves in the same colour or does my problem with greens and reds give me that impression? :D

@iamfanboy Yes, cool face paint. Really looks scary as hell seeing that gang in this style!

@Sandman I love the worn-out look on the coat, gives the model a very travel-worn look! I like that.

Did some painting on my models too on the weekend, although I couldn't get as fast forward as I hoped...

Painting%20Challenge%201%20WIP2_zpsys7fj

• Like 5

@prof_bycid, at this point I've apparently crushed Emissary - 59ss in Perdita's crew alone, along with Sue, Sammy, Merris, and now Lelu & Lilitu... 95ss total? I sit down to paint and look up hours later with four or five finished models. Though now I realize, belatedly, that I didn't freaking take pictures of them unpainted and unassembled. I mean, I've got shots of my entire collection circa mid-February, and it's blatantly obvious that most of those minis aren't in there, but...

Getting minis painted isn't my problem, quality is. Though painting Lilitu reminded me why I try not to care so much about better than tabletop. I CAN'T STOP, especially after seeing a miniature played across my computer screen eight times taller than real life, all its worst flaws visible.

large.58c6621ae0b4a_malifaux-neverbornen

I was trying for a 'tanned leather out of human skin' look, but it just looks orange. Still, visually striking. It was only after I took this pic that I realized the bump on Lilitu's waistline too small to see by eye was a bit of flash I'd missed while cleaning her up after assembly. I had to go back and cut it off, and while I was in there I touched up so the transparent dress effect was more visible.

large.58c6efdd3f7c6_malifaux-neverbornen

And THEN I realized that I had somehow painted skintone over a part of her clothes which were wrinkling and would have the blue - once again, right at that waistline. So I had to go back and fix it AGAIN. And then I realized... I no longer wanted to do this, I had to set it down and accept it as good enough for a first time doing transparent clothing.

Oh, and these guys.

large.58c6621c27e7f_malifaux-guildortega

The angle is just all wrong on the Enslaved Nephilim so his facepaint looks extremely weird, and I had to avoid the temptation to give Papa Loco Joker hair - when in the asylum would he have access to dye?

• Like 4

My work in progress for March.  Base colors are down.  The pants on the silent ones are very light, a pale sand (Vallejo) base.  I was unsure about going with gory exposed flesh on the limbs of the wendigo proxy, but it is growing on me now. 

large.Mar2017_pledge_Silent_Ones_WIP.jpg.df47bb1951af01bf37cea2fd74925737.jpglarge.Mar2017_pledge_Silent_Ones_WIP2.jpg.f4086d33e858966ac6558adc776cbade.jpg

I have started working on a light box so I can try to improve my photos. I just received some opaque white plexiglass and and going to use this.  Once I make some progress later this week I will start a new thread with photos.

• Like 5

@ringsnake

No need for feeling down on your models, they look really cool and scary, actually (especially Huggy it's such a gross model). It seems as if you re-startet painting after a long break. You can always come back when you feel more confident with the brush and place one or two highlights on certain parts of models - just write down the colours you use, that's always a downturner... forgetting which colours to use. Nevertheless, it's a solid tabletop quality and I prefer playing against miniatures painted on this standard then one or two crazily well painted miniatures, but 80% of the warband are not painted at all.

@prof_bycid A simple white or black sheet in the background should be sufficient for the beginning ;-)

12 hours ago, prof_bycid said:

@ringsnake  They look great.  If you want to have models logged for the monthly painters challenge, let me know what level you are aiming for, and give me the soul stones painted along with your final post for the month.  If you are just along for the painting ride, that is totally cool as well.

Emissary. I've painted Jacob 15, huggie 0, three illuminated 21, three sorrows 15, three stitched together 18, and poltergeist 5 so far. I should probably put more work into all of them, and may start over with huggie.

• Like 1

@prof_bycid, one of the best investments I ever made was a Foldio portable studio. I spent YEARS - literal, actual years - trying to find a good, cheap light box solution until I found out about the Foldio. It's not what I would call cheap, ($75 for the larger size!) but it's worth it just for the ease of setup and use. Takes 30 seconds to put together, takes 30 seconds to take down, folds out of the way, takes great pictures every time... If I had space in my house for a permanent light box setup, that would be better, but not by much, and I've learned things from using the Foldio that would make it a better setup.

And that Wendigo looks suitably horrific.

I think i'd prefer keeping at Emissary. I mean, I'm not a rich man, and buying 30ss a month isn't TOO hard but more? This month was a little fluke-y what with commissions. 

@SoylentRobot, sentai colors? For what looks like undead Viktorias? Are you trying to say that the new Power Rangers is the work of Ressers? :D

@ringsnake, I love the Stitched Together, you really got across the idea of bags of human skin. I think the main problem with Huggy is that he looks... slimy, not spirity. A frog monster instead of an ethereal cloud of addiction. If he were glowing, that would get across the idea of him being a spirit. The easiest way I've found is to have the interior colors be lighter and move to dark colors on the fringe - I've been using white washes to do that for a while now. A quick fix might be to do the mouth interior in pure white or super-light blue instead of the green... but if that messes with your chosen palette I'd understand.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, iamfanboy said:

@ringsnake, I love the Stitched Together, you really got across the idea of bags of human skin. I think the main problem with Huggy is that he looks... slimy, not spirity. A frog monster instead of an ethereal cloud of addiction. If he were glowing, that would get across the idea of him being a spirit. The easiest way I've found is to have the interior colors be lighter and move to dark colors on the fringe - I've been using white washes to do that for a while now. A quick fix might be to do the mouth interior in pure white or super-light blue instead of the green... but if that messes with your chosen palette I'd understand.

My chosen palette was me screwing around with paints I'd never used before, and should be burned. I'm going to do him over again in dark grey, red-orange, and white. Try to make him look like a shadow or smoke.

Which means redoing Lynch's smoke card skeleton thingy and the illuminated. On the positive, that makes this a true WIP, and will give me time to put together a proper light box and photo setup.