Hoffman: which Christmas gift for him?

Franchute

Hello,

I'd like to buy a new toy for Hoffman. Which one of the following would you recommend?

1. Brutal Emissary
2. Peacekeeper
3. Rail Golem
4. Large arachnids
5. Wardens

I already have the Ramos box, Johan and should have the mobile toolkit soon. I also have several other guild boxes such as Sonnia, Perdita, the Wild ones and McMourning + other stuff.

4 minutes ago, Franchute said:

I forgot to include this one in my already acquired stock.

I know you like the emissary because of its look. But would you still recommend it over the other options from a strategic perspective?

Absolutely, I think it's amazing with Hoffman (and many more that want to have his Never Bluff a Six Gun trigger).
If you can somehow find the Hoffman (plastic) Avatar you'll have the perfect christmas gift.

hoffman-avatar-box-set-avatar-of-amalgam 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, JDAntoine said:

If you can somehow find the Hoffman (plastic) Avatar you'll have the perfect christmas gift.

Thanks. I was thinking about it. Since I am a slow painter, I think the avatar might be quicker to paint than the actual Emissary. I also have this unexplained fear of cleaning my airbrush, so dry brushing metals might be faster for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Franchute said:

Thanks. I was thinking about it. Since I am a slow painter, I think the avatar might be quicker to paint than the actual Emissary. I also have this unexplained fear of cleaning my airbrush, so dry brushing metals might be faster for me.

It's pure epicness in my opinion, for the Hoffman.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JDAntoine said:

Absolutely, I think it's amazing with Hoffman (and many more that want to have his Never Bluff a Six Gun trigger).

hoffman-avatar-box-set-avatar-of-amalgam 

Oh, quite. It was my last year's Christmas gift. ^_^

*sigh* giant stompybot where are you

• Like 1

Not every Avatar works out really well as a Emissary but this one certainly does, even if Hoffman on his arm is bothering you I reckon that it isn't too difficult to remove him from there, it just might be a bit time intensive. All in all though the model is amazing and so is the Brutal Emissary with Hoffman, not only because I generally like the Emissary but much more because it allows you to instantly have another beefy monster to work with.

My top picks for the Emissary in general would be:
- Lady Justice (Emissary becomes Marshal at key turns with the Death Marshal Recruiter)
- Perdita Ortega (Emissary is there to deal with swarms, never bluff a Six Gun is extremely relevant in her and Abuela can make it Family)
- Lucas McCabe (Emissary becomes an extention of McCabe, slinging Upgrades everywhere)
- Charles Hoffman (Emissary becomes Construct and thus exactly what Hoffman wants) 

There are more that can consider him seriously but the above four for me are always going to give you a bang for his 10 point cost. Other crews as Sonnia, McMourning, Lucius and Nellie can consider him also but I find that these either have a fantastic anti-swarm plan allready or are simply looking for more models as less "who take the target priority off of them". 

@Gnomezilla @Myyrä I think removing Hoffman or putting something else there makes a lot of sence.

Now I am not here to critique the work of the art and the sculpt but to me it makes very little sence that a genius like Hoffman is capable of building amazing machines will strap himself to the arm of his latest creation. The way it's done now reminds me more of an Ork who captured a device that's beyond his knowledge instead of someone who's capable to create something that's as difficult to replicate as Hoffman's own Totem. The lore even mentiones that others are willing to steal it because of how amazing it is.

So for me the Avatar of Amalgamation is a wonderful design and sculpt but not executed the way I would have went with it. In my honest opinion it would have made a ton of sence if it actually was a bigger version of the exo-suit Hoffman is walking around with right now. With him in the center or even within the suit.

Being strapped to your own creation's arm just looks very odd to me. I'm sure there is a piece of lore that says it's done this way but to me it doesn't make a ton of sence visually. If your capable of creating pretty much everything out of metal it's unlikely that you'll use leather bands as the last resource for your creation. The mixed media makes sence for me on Ryle as Charles wants him to remain as human as possible but otherwise I think Hoffman would prefer design that shows off his skills.

25 minutes ago, JDAntoine said:

Being strapped to your own creation's arm just looks very odd to me. I'm sure there is a piece of lore that says it's done this way but to me it doesn't make a ton of sence visually. If your capable of creating pretty much everything out of metal it's unlikely that you'll use leather bands as the last resource for your creation. The mixed media makes sence for me on Ryle as Charles wants him to remain as human as possible but otherwise I think Hoffman would prefer design that shows off his skills.

There is a lore explanation for that. In Hoff's fluff piece about becoming his Avatar he was hit by the abundant ambient magical energy and transformed into the big stompy bot by amalgamating (see what I did?) a bunch of railroad steel and broken machinery while fighting some other big, mechanical monstrosity. He has an introspective moment of seeing his unconscious body lying on the ground and needs to protect his "useless self" from harm, thus the baby hold. Hoffman's spirit/magic created the avatar spontaneously, he didn't work on it in a shop or anything so he used whatever was around at the time. I believe this was in Twisting Fates? Not 100% sure on that one.  

Nightmare Hoffman box with Hoff in a better looking Hannah-type suit would be pretty cool too. ^_^

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Cadaverousbirth said:

There is a lore explanation for that. In Hoff's fluff piece about becoming his Avatar he was hit by the abundant ambient magical energy and transformed into the big stompy bot by amalgamating (see what I did?) a bunch of railroad steel and broken machinery while fighting some other big, mechanical monstrosity. He has an introspective moment of seeing his unconscious body lying on the ground and needs to protect his "useless self" from harm, thus the baby hold. Hoffman's spirit/magic created the avatar spontaneously, he didn't work on it in a shop or anything so he used whatever was around at the time. I believe this was in Twisting Fates? Not 100% sure on that one.  

Nightmare Hoffman box with Hoff in a better looking Hannah-type suit would be pretty cool too. ^_^

Yeah that makes almost enough sence, barring that I feel you'd strap yourself behind you or even create an in-battle gap in your armour. 
Needless to say, I feel 'strapping stuff on' does not match the genius level of Hoffman whatsoever. If he was capable of creating such a warmachine, how is it that this functionality suddenly stops when he sees his body lying there? He went from metal mastery to leather mastery? 

As said I'm not going to critique it too much but it wouldn't be the route I would have taken :) . If you want to convey a genius, a master of amalgamation, a master of steel or a super technician you don't use leather straps to fix things in place. By large because you suddenly make that genius look like an Ork. 

I like the concept. It feels like Hoffman is not a man anymore. He's a machine now. His old body is there to carry around his brain, but the part doing the job of the body is the machine.

Actually it reminds me of the avatar movie (without the intention of making any pun), where something similar happened to the main character.

• Like 1

While it might not have been very clear, the prime reason for me to have Hoffman removed from the model is because of the edition really. Where in the previous edition Avatars removed/changed the Master this edition he'd be a Brutal Emissary and from my perspective it would be a bit odd to have the Brutal Emissary walking around with Hoffman's sleepy twin brother...

However to each their own offcourse! Everybody has their own asthethic preforances, I just shared mine ;) 

• Like 2

Sometimes people miss the blindingly obvious. I can be learning how to convert minis and still not realize for months that this implies I can change this mini. People built carriages for centuries with covered cabins for the passengers yet still left the driver's seat exposed; I'm not too surprised that one of the world's earliest mechas didn't think to encase the pilot. Also...

9 hours ago, JDAntoine said:

In my honest opinion it would have made a ton of sence if it actually was a bigger version of the exo-suit Hoffman is walking around with right now. With him in the center or even within the suit.

Being strapped to your own creation's arm just looks very odd to me. I'm sure there is a piece of lore that says it's done this way but to me it doesn't make a ton of sence visually. If your capable of creating pretty much everything out of metal it's unlikely that you'll use leather bands as the last resource for your creation.

The mixed media makes sence for me on Ryle as Charles wants him to remain as human as possible but otherwise I think Hoffman would prefer design that shows off his skills.

...the sculpt makes perfect sense from a sculptor who understands current adaptive devices in this time of early robotics. There's rungs as hand-holds to climb on and off the arm and straps are still a current technology to hold an unresponsive body in place. (And yes, you are correct and insightful that his plastic sculpt and its exoskeleton draws upon the same inspiration.

(I hadn't further applied that train of thought to Ryle and his aesthetic though. You're really good at this.)

I am going to go cry in a corner now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...