November promotion question

Honestly, that just amazes me. There is a LOT of small company POS systems out there, or software which uses a laptop or computer and any regular printer, and I'm just amazed folks are happy to do without. Hell, our first Gencon ... waaaay back in the day, miniatures only, half booth, we did a cash box. It was horrible - worked out for us - but wasn't fun. Next time about we bought a system. Small, janky, but it worked. Hell the ones we use now work off Ipads. 

What I want to know is how do they keep inventory or books? Can't be easy, and paperwork involving either inventory or money is the quickest way to go out of business if you don't have either of those two in hand at any given time.

I work at a small retail store/booth and I literally have to write out what people buy on paper by hand :|

They have everything in their database I might add.  *shrugs*  I don't know how they do it.  They just do.  Again, I doubt I will get an itemized receipt.  The best I can do is something that is printed out that shows a total with an attachment that shows the items I bought printed out *a screenshot*.  Had I known it was going to be this much of a pain, I would have just bought it at the Black Friday sale tbh.  I actually asked a few weeks ago and didn't get an answer.  Again, I will see what I can do.  

It's not so much that I want it to be a hassle, but honestly we get about twenty 'attempts at free crap' a week and eventually it's just 'the rules are there for a reason'. 

In the end, sucks for folks like yourself. Retailers honestly should have their crap together in that department as well, and should be told as much as far as I'm concerned. 

At the end of the day, if you just want to dance with the product to the latest Taylor Swift song and record it and upload it for us, we'll accept that as well. 

:)

They have everything in their database I might add.  *shrugs*  I don't know how they do it.  They just do.  Again, I doubt I will get an itemized receipt.  The best I can do is something that is printed out that shows a total with an attachment that shows the items I bought printed out *a screenshot*.  Had I known it was going to be this much of a pain, I would have just bought it at the Black Friday sale tbh.  I actually asked a few weeks ago and didn't get an answer.  Again, I will see what I can do.  

It's not so much that I want it to be a hassle, but honestly we get about twenty 'attempts at free crap' a week and eventually it's just 'the rules are there for a reason'. 

In the end, sucks for folks like yourself. Retailers honestly should have their crap together in that department as well, and should be told as much as far as I'm concerned. 

At the end of the day, if you just want to dance with the product to the latest Taylor Swift song and record it and upload it for us, we'll accept that as well. 

:)

I will try.  There is a better chance of me dancing with the Taylor Swift song and recording a video than there is me getting a paper receipt.  :)  But I will try.  Hand written will work, correct?  

I had to send you guys a picture of a handwritten sales receipt, with the credit card receipt, and the Starter Box in the background. I was mad they don't even have computerized inventory. 

lol, that's because they have one person in the back, literally counting each item on their shelf.  I'll point him out to you next time we go.

What I want to know is how do they keep inventory or books? Can't be easy, and paperwork involving either inventory or money is the quickest way to go out of business if you don't have either of those two in hand at any given time.

Reminds me of the stories my dad used to tell me when he was interning for a C.P.A.  Back in the days before Microsoft Excel, the Number 1 rule of the office was "No drinks allowed at anyone's work area", since everything was done in pencil and paper.  Anyone breaking that rule earned a quick termination.

That said, Excel is crazy easy to use, and I'm surprised at how some businesses don't know how to use it.  The store Crush and I shop at don't have computer generated receipts, but they always offer hand written ones.  Call them "old fashioned", I guess, but it does work for them. :lol:

Just to share local hobby store receipt stories...

Store #1 still has its old fashioned non-POS cash register, but has modern credit card devices.  They can produce a printed receipt, but the receipt is only going to have a random product number (maybe) and a price.  I know they track special orders using index cards, I'm not sure how they do their inventory.  I've gotten the occasional hand written receipt from this store when something has gone wrong.  But the receipt at least has the store's name on it.

Store #2 started with the owner with a laptop hooked up to a printer if anyone needed a receipt.  There was the period of time where purchasing something using a credit card was "Run the card through the Square dongle, store owner hands over his iPhone so you can sign on the screen, and if you want a receipt you're going to have to wait a few minutes for the printer."  The minor problem is the itemized receipt is an 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper. 

So out of the two local stores that I could reasonably order Malifaux through, for the first store I'd probably end up doing like crush_jansen and taking a picture of the store receipt, credit card receipt, and merchandise; and for the other one the problem was getting the whole receipt in focus.

The stores I shop at all have printed receipts, but they offer varying levels of detail about what was purchased.  They all list a store name and address though, with prices, so I just snap the picture with the items so there is no confusion over what I purchased, since you can easily identify that a 45$ charge is more than likely the Shenlong Box I got, or what have you.

I figured the call for printed receipt was more to prove the physical store existed, and had a little receipt with their phone number and address, just in case Wyrd wanted to call your bluff.  As long as the store can at least be identified, I assume they don't call shenanigans.

I managed to figure something out and will submit it tonight.  They printed their logs of everything I have purchased that shows what I bought and how I paid on what date and then just printed the screen shot.  Yay.

Is this GuardTower? They totally do paper receipts.... or at least have for me in the past. They aren't the sexiest things but they are receipts (that just happen to take up an entire sheet of printer paper). Someone lied to you Blitz! I say we burn the place to the ground.

I managed to figure something out and will submit it tonight.  They printed their logs of everything I have purchased that shows what I bought and how I paid on what date and then just printed the screen shot.  Yay.

Is this GuardTower? They totally do paper receipts.... or at least have for me in the past. They aren't the sexiest things but they are receipts (that just happen to take up an entire sheet of printer paper). Someone lied to you Blitz! I say we burn the place to the ground.

I got it taken care of last night, actually.  Apparently, when I originally asked, the gent didn't know how to do it.  Mike was there and got it for me, so it worked out.

Just to share local hobby store receipt stories...

Store #2 started with the owner with a laptop hooked up to a printer if anyone needed a receipt.  There was the period of time where purchasing something using a credit card was "Run the card through the Square dongle, store owner hands over his iPhone so you can sign on the screen, and if you want a receipt you're going to have to wait a few minutes for the printer."  The minor problem is the itemized receipt is an 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper. 

My LCG uses Square.  He has all the inventory in the device. He scans my Credit Card, I sign the screen and Square automatically texts me the receipt.   I take Screen shots of the receipt and upload it to Wyrd.

Along the lines of other questions in the thread: I sent in a receipt for this promotion for a brick-and-mortar store, but the printer for the receipt has been on the fritz for over a month at this point. I got them to email me a receipt from their checkout program, but it's not a paper copy. Is that going to be a problem?