The stance on off topic banter?

It seems that Aaron is really fed up with the banter? Is it official policy now that it is discouraged? Any guide lines to follow?

As I can sorta see both sides of the coin there and it has gotten maybe a bit out of hand as of late but I think that some sort of even loose policy would make it much easier to (self-)regulate the behaviour.

As I'm pretty sure that no one means any harm by it or does it out of malice.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have been known to indulge in it myself from time to time.

The number of threads that have gone way off topic is out of hand. And by out of hand, I mean I've gotten complaints. We have a forum rule regarding being tidy, which is about posting in the proper part of the forum. There are proper parts for almost everything, and I want threads to be in those places.

Do I mind a topic going off-topic? No. I've done it myself, and it'll happen. No one is trying to discourage discussion or stop people from having fun. If I thought there was a serious issue, it would have been addressed privately.

But I have gotten complaints about the number of threads recently that are way off topic -- and I'm going to take action to try to shift conversations back into the appropriate venues.

• Like 5

To be fair:

1) I tried to make sure the original question was answered.

2) I spend way too much time on this forum.

3) I'm guilty of diverting threads on purpose (but without malice).

I'll refrain from the third, and apologize for any inconvenience for people who got annoyed, and for people who had to clean up the mess.

As a positive note, I know some people on the forum way better now than I did some months ago. I'm thankful for that.

1) I tried to make sure the original question was answered.

2) I spend way too much time on this forum.

3) I'm guilty of diverting threads on purpose (but without malice).

Since you put it so well I'm just gonna say this is pretty much my case as well. 

My understanding is that there is a whole thread for just being silly and off-topic.

On the topic of off-topic yet tangentially related topics, once the course of conversation has veered far enough I am a fan of starting a new thread on said tangentially related topic and posting a link to the new thread within the original thread to allow both lines of conversation to flourish in their own right.

Also, on a completely unrelated note...  

...I kid, I kid!

My understanding is that there is a whole thread for just being silly and off-topic.

On the topic of off-topic yet tangentially related topics, once the course of conversation has veered far enough I am a fan of starting a new thread on said tangentially related topic and posting a link to the new thread within the original thread to allow both lines of conversation to flourish in their own right.

Also, on a completely unrelated note...  

...I kid, I kid!

There is indeed an off-topic thread under 'General Discussion' and all are welcome to join in whatever mad ramblings are undergoing at the time, though sometimes the topics are actually quite interesting!

I have been guilty (with a few others) of derailing threads a long long time ago, which is partly why we were 'banished' to the Off topic thread!

I try and post sensible stuff in discussions when I do actually venture out of the thread but feel free to shout me down if I veer off!

But as I said, please, come say hi to us in the Off topic thread..

• Like 1