Defensive stance?

SpiralngCadavr

Question

18 answers to this question

I understand you wouldn't get Defensive +1, I'm asking if you can do it, because, among other things:

-you can dump a useless card for the Void Wretchs' defense to go up

-Reading the Stone says when you use the action, not when you gain anything from it

...there are likely other ones I'm forgetting, but there are reasons to use a 0 action, spend a card, or take a Defensive Stance, that don't create benefits on their own.

I'm not saying it would be a brilliant move, just asking if it's a legal option.

I've always read it as you must spend AP.

A (0) gets you no Defensive Stance.

I've read it the same for Shenlong as well.

His ability allows you to take Defensive Stance as a (0),but you would then also need to spend an AP to gain anything.

This will need an errata, because as is, Shenlong ability doesn't do anything.

Technically There is no such thing as a generated zero ap. Call out box on pg 37

zero ap action.

Some models will have actions that have an AP cost of 0. A model may only take one of these free actions per turn.

No where in AP generation does it state you generate a zero ap. However specific ap are mention as is the ap difference between minions and masters. The call out box to me demonstrates that unless you have a listed zero, or a granted zero action, you don't have the ability to take a zero action.

Rancor is correct, not all models receive "a free (0) AP to spend", but some models have an action that doesn't cost you any of your AP and you may take only one of these free actions per activation.

Defensive stance isn't free, it costs 1AP. Some models have abilities that allow you to also take Defensive stance for free once per activation as long as you don't take any other free actions, but it doesn't cost you "your (0)AP point" because there's no such thing.

But under general. Actions it says these are not listed on cards and may be taken. Ie. Charge and walk and defensive stance. I don't like it but you can us defensive as a zero action. You don't gain the condtion but you can still. Discard a card.

Sure all models can take those actions even though they're not listed on their cards, but they still have to have the resources to pay for them.

The only resources models generate to pay for actions (without special rules) are their AP. You don't generate any (0) AP, just AP. And unless an action says you can take it for free, or in shorthand (0) AP, you have to spend one or more AP to take the action.

I think the OP is visualizing models generating 2 x (1) AP and 1 x (0) AP each turn, but this is not the case. You (normally) generate 2 AP which can then be spent on (1) AP or (2) AP actions, and you can take a free (0) AP action without spending any AP if you specifically have access to one.

So in a long explanatory way, I'm agreeing with your second post :)

• Like 1