Starter Masters?

Hagisman

I recently talked with a new player that is looking to start a "jack of all trades" crew. I recommended Von Chill and after showing him to him he started to look over Tara. 

Based on my own experience there are a lot of nuisances with Tara that I don't see someone picking up Malifaux for the first time to notice. 

This lead to a larger question, what masters do you guys and gals think are good Masters to start with and masters better to wait a while to start?

Speaking as someone who dove in with the Dreamer, I'm a firm believer of "play what you want".  Granted some masters are more complicated then others, but I don't believe that new players should always start with a simple master and build up.  If he wants to start with Tara and is OK with figuring her out, then game on.

As to picking up all of the nuances of a master, this is the age of the internet.  He can find pages of forum posts about using Tara to tear other crews in half.

Yeah, the upgrade system seems to make it pretty easy to grasp crews before they become crazy with everything you can add to them, especially if you play some Scraps or Dustups first. Having said that, if you can understand the concept of "hit people with your big ass sword," Lady Justice is nice and easy to understand. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Always been a believer of "play what you want," after playing many miniature games, although I have a tendency to be attracted to models that are blue and/or green. Rarely red, and yet I play Sonnia. Some people will play a faction simply based on how models look. I actually got my Raspy crew from a friend of mine and had no idea how to use her, much less knew what to add on. Years later, in 2E, she is my go to crew and the only one I would take to a tournament (still practicing with Sonnia and Colette).

I'd recommend

Guild - Lady Justice & Perdita

Ressers - Seamus

Arcanists - Rasputina

Outcasts - Von Schill & Viks

Ten Thunders - Mei Feng

Neverborn - Lilith

All of these can be used fairly simply but also have a lot of depth for experienced players as well. Definitely a good place to start! Although as many of the others have stated, pick up what you like and learn from there. Some Masters have higher learning curves than others but experience is the best teacher, learn with what you like and take it from there.