Black joker on attack and black joker on defense

zFiend

Question

So me and my friend are playing the Vassal for the first time.

My friend tried to attack me with Yan Lo's Spirit barrage but flipped the black joker, am I supposed to flip a defense flip with the black the joker? If so, I did flip it because my friend thought I should flip for defense anyways and I flipped the black joker. So what's up with that situation? :D

13 answers to this question

Just for completeness, these things would also happen:

1) neither of you can cheat since you both flipped black joker.

2) don't have the files in front of me, but if spirit barrage has a TN, odds are good he missed it. In that scenario he might win the duel but still fail the action.

Yup, as earlier posters said you still make the flip. Both players will flip for an opposed duel, even if one player flips the black joker, you still need to burn the cards.

Fun story from the other day: I was playing a friend Pandora vs Misaki, Pandora attacks Misaki and we both flip BJs. With no TN on the attack the duel came down to raw stats, Misaki winning due to a nearby Oiran giving +1 Wp.

If memory serves when flipping a Red Joker is numerical value is 14, Black Joker is 0. So you just add those values to which ever stat is relevant at the time and carry on as normal. Other than that they prevent cheating from the opponent but in a double Black Joker I'd probably be laughing at the coincidence to much to bother cheating.

Black Joker prevents the person who flipped it cheating, not the the other person. Red Joker prevents the other person from cheating.

Double black Joker means nobody cheats, both players look at the totals in amazement, the action probably fails, and unless it was an important flip, both players feel relived that they don't have to worry about flipping it again this round.

Black Joker prevents the person who flipped it cheating, not the the other person. Red Joker prevents the other person from cheating.

Double black Joker means nobody cheats, both players look at the totals in amazement, the action probably fails, and unless it was an important flip, both players feel relived that they don't have to worry about flipping it again this round.

It was Yan Lo's cast 6 vs Mah Tucket's df 6 so it propably comes through but with double negatives :D

Yup, as earlier posters said you still make the flip. Both players will flip for an opposed duel, even if one player flips the black joker, you still need to burn the cards.

Fun story from the other day: I was playing a friend Pandora vs Misaki, Pandora attacks Misaki and we both flip BJs. With no TN on the attack the duel came down to raw stats, Misaki winning due to a nearby Oiran giving +1 Wp.

This does happen all the time.  When you try to cast something with a caster focused master/hench or melee with a melee master/hench even on a black joker is still a good chance of hitting if the person flips really low.

In general, the strat of holding onto Black Jokers in your hand for as long as you can is always a good thing to do in the first couple of turns.   Then on turn 3+ when things get more heated, dump that joker and draw a fresh hand and play the game that there is no black joker at all. 

In general, the strat of holding onto Black Jokers in your hand for as long as you can is always a good thing to do in the first couple of turns.   Then on turn 3+ when things get more heated, dump that joker and draw a fresh hand and play the game that there is no black joker at all. 

That depends on the master, and the positioning, really. Sometimes, it really is a good idea to hold the BJ through Round 4. Because things getting heated, a Black Joker in round 4 or 5 can really turn the game, depending on schemes, strategies, and positioning.