dgraz's new painting thread

dgraz

Thanks all.

I have lost all motivation to ever attempt to improve my skills. You win. 

Don't do that....how do you think I got here. An art degree and over 15 years painting minis.......and there are still plenty of people out there that make me look like a chump.

Excellent work on Ama no there! Beautiful colours and free hand flowers. Must have taken a lot of patience 

Thanks.....patience....yeah lets call it that. Sounds better than psychosis.

Okay I like that Ama No Zaku, I really like that skin and how it goes with the robe.

Thanks. Wasn't a tough decision....researching Oni they're pretty much either black or red....red would have clashed horribly with the pinks I was using so it had to be black.

True but I find doing black like that for skin is not always easy to do well.  If you don't do the contrast with the lighter spots right it just does not look right.  Likely why I have seen far more orange and red oni.

I was not really a fan of the white and green color palette you chose for most of the Ten Thunders,  I think the execution was fantastic, I was just not a fan of the color choice.  But that Ama No Zako is truly fantastic.  That color scheme REALLY works great for that model and you really hit it out of the park on that one.

True but I find doing black like that for skin is not always easy to do well.  If you don't do the contrast with the lighter spots right it just does not look right.  Likely why I have seen far more orange and red oni.

Thanks again. The longer you work with a color the better you get at it...I've done a lot of blacks...cool blacks, warm blacks, neutral blacks....it's one of those colors that 'paying attention' really helps with (thanks art school)...I always tell people to look...I used to have a picture of a black bear that I would post and if you look at it it's really only black underneath....the closer you get to the sun the lighter it gets...and if the bear is clean it will go all the way to a white glint almost like metal.

I think I know who those models went to... Did I see them at the Nova Open, possibly?

Quite possibly ;) Pretty easy to identify I would think.

I was not really a fan of the white and green color palette you chose for most of the Ten Thunders,  I think the execution was fantastic, I was just not a fan of the color choice.  But that Ama No Zako is truly fantastic.  That color scheme REALLY works great for that model and you really hit it out of the park on that one.

Thanks. The color scheme was based entirely on the cherry tree. Most of the colors (with very few minor exceptions) are all from the cherry tree The general rule is that if it looks good in nature it'll look good elsewhere.

• Like 1

Is the patch of ground next to the cobbles supposed to be a top-down view into a Koi pond?  If so it looks really good, but I think you should put a coat of gloss varnish over the top of it.

Yes it is. If you look back through the last few pages of this thread there are a few more (including a nice shot from above that shows them all). You may be able to see the glossy shine on those. Once the model gets sealed I'll go back over that spot with gloss and take better pictures to post.

Is the patch of ground next to the cobbles supposed to be a top-down view into a Koi pond?  If so it looks really good, but I think you should put a coat of gloss varnish over the top of it.

Yes it is. If you look back through the last few pages of this thread there are a few more (including a nice shot from above that shows them all). You may be able to see the glossy shine on those. Once the model gets sealed I'll go back over that spot with gloss and take better pictures to post.

I figured that it might have been the picture, or the model had not been sealed yet.  A gloss coat over the top of something that is supposed to look like water seems like something too obvious to miss.

Thanks a lot everyone. This was a pretty difficult model for me to finish for some reason....I'm glad to see it was worth it.

I just printed this off and stuck it the photo frame where my wedding picture used to be...

Mwuahaha....tell your spouse that I appreciate the sacrifice :D

• 2 months later...