Modular Board for Malifaux that I'm building for FPM + maybe a prize giveaway

Demonn Agram

As you may or may not know, I'm currently building a modular board of the sewers, mines, dungeons and other underground stuff for the e-publication called Figure Painter Magazine .

The build was featured also in Wyrd chronicles No 7 , so thanks Wyrd :)

anyway, finally the build has got to the actual terrain building so I thought it fun to put a small pic of one of the modules. (nothing fancy though, as I'm keeping the good stuff for the mag ;) )

<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/demonn/20131026_191044_zps2338307b.jpg' alt='url]'>

well, this is just a bit of one of nine 1' x 1' modules that will make the 3' x 3' modular board. so, if you haven't read the articles in FPM (what are you waiting for?? LOL), there will be four random modules not associated with any malifaux masters. the five that remain will be connected to a master each (like McMourning, Nicodem, Ramos, Hungering Darkness and Hamelin - basicly anything that I could fit underground :) )...

so what's in the future?

well, I will be doing one module at a time and this is where the prize giveaway comes in. anyway, in a couple of weeks I'll write a question here asking for some advice/oppinions. and the best answer/advice will win a free issue of Figure Painter Magazine...

so that's it for now. hope you like what you see and feel free to ask questions hereor comment in general...

edit:

oh and here is a video of the first lighting of the LEDs...

th_malifaux_zpsbd374ac0.jpg

(it's a movie so click on it :) )

Edited by Demonn Agram

• 5 weeks later...

ok, another update and a first giveaway!

so to show you something first, the soulstone vein in the mine works - stones are shining! (how to achieve it, you can find out in the upcoming issue of FPM).

DSC_0020.jpg

it is still in heavy WIP stage, the texture (obviously isn't on all the places it should be and) isn't painted at all, but still, the "mountain shines Soulstones")

DSC_0021.jpg

as this is a learning process for me (and my team) as well, I'll know now how to get the desired result on the next module - as on this the soulstone veins will have to be reduced as not all the distant clear resin stones are shining. One ultra bright LED is not strong enough to light such a big area. lesson learned :)

anyway, back to the giveaway part.

Currently I'm building two random modules (ie not connected to any of the Masters), and soon I'll move onto the named modules. In the first post of this thread I've written a bit about the fluff of the board and what master's we'll be using.

So, I'm asking you guys to throw some ideas about the details to be placed on the modules.

The best idea that is suggested by 23rd of December will be awarded with an issue of Figure Painter Magazine of his/her choice.

There is absolutely no limit to the number of idea entries one can have, I'll decide on what is the most coolest/best described/most original and the award will come on Christmas. Call me your Santa :)

so feel free to shoot!

Edited by Demonn Agram

Sorry for not making myself clear :)

Post your ideas here. There are other people who are also building their terrain/boards/dioramas who might also benefit from such a thread :)

And in open dialogue more ideas might spring up (sort of brainstorming)

Also if you need anything about the build explained (what modules I'll be building, how I envisionaged them) feel free to ask. Basicly anything is allowed!

Edited by Demonn Agram

Didnt want anything in particular. Or to be precise I want everything. Any cool little (or big) idea that comes to you.

To help you the themes of every module is set.

1. McMourning morgue + guild prison

2. Nicodems crypt

3. Hamelins sewer

4. Hungering darkness storage room and private rooms (for vip guests)

5. Ramos lab

6. Soulstone abandoned mine (pics above)

7. Ruined underground halls

8. Intact und.halls with canals

9. Und.halls with stairs leading above...

How about an underground speak easy. (Sounds similair to your VIP room)

In honor of Christmas how about a christmas room! Tree in the center, all sorts of random prezzies that you can twist your fate by opening?

Break room for the miners. Full of mags of Lady J, lockers, table and chairs, water cooler, bunk beds.

Mutant turtle lair for teenage ninjas. Full of pizza boxes. Cowabunga!

I always thought this would be cool. Make a section with the floor being giant cogs and every turn it rotated so much and it would bring some minis closer or further.

Something like the end room in Hellboy 2

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJwORszjBwybGTHBtqa5fIshlutVAHjJj-vpl_7n3yEbk-9CtovbOirjX4

I always thought this would be cool. Make a section with the floor being giant cogs and every turn it rotated so much and it would bring some minis closer or further.

Something like the end room in Hellboy 2

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJwORszjBwybGTHBtqa5fIshlutVAHjJj-vpl_7n3yEbk-9CtovbOirjX4

Now that is an absolutely amazing idea. I could see an entire board done up like this where every turn the player activating last got to turn a small cog a random number of times (based on a card flip).

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

ok, another update and a first giveaway!

Currently I'm building two random modules (ie not connected to any of the Masters), and soon I'll move onto the named modules. In the first post of this thread I've written a bit about the fluff of the board and what master's we'll be using.

So, I'm asking you guys to throw some ideas about the details to be placed on the modules.

There is absolutely no limit to the number of idea entries one can have, I'll decide on what is the most coolest/best described/most original and the award will come on Christmas. Call me your Santa :)

so feel free to shoot!

My idea would be to build a "broken world" type module. Think of the cave that held Pandora's box in Lara Croft Tomb Raider Cradle of Life. Some Iron Filings used for texturing the board (instead of sand) along with rare earth magnets in the models bases would allow models to run up walls and such.

My idea would be to build a "broken world" type module. Think of the cave that held Pandora's box in Lara Croft Tomb Raider Cradle of Life. Some Iron Filings used for texturing the board (instead of sand) along with rare earth magnets in the models bases would allow models to run up walls and such.

Madness.......total insanity..........and totally awesome!!

A couple things that strike me as possible interesting inclusions, though not necessarily themed to one or the other:

Looking at the French (Parisian?) Catacombs from the black death era could be highly useful: Stacks and stacks of bones and skulls arrayed in patterns in narrow twisting tunnels, perhaps just wide enough for bases to slide down, and otherwise claustrophobic.

Similarly, it might be interesting to continue the theme of the LED backglow and have torches/lanterns all warm and 'inviting' in many of the corridors, but then..

..In one, a Necromancer's lair filled, Dr. Frankenstein style, with little glass jars, containing weird bits of bodyparts or other oddities, underlit and eerily glowing in all manner of queer shades. A surgical table lays centrally, with bloodstains from Lord only knows what experiments, with shackles to ensure the more unruly experiments remain where they ought. (Potentially McMourning).

It'd also be neat for McMourning's to distinctly imply the morgue has an official side (nice tile floors, ceramic surfaces, etc.) and then a hollowed-out entrance, covered by perhaps a cabinet or some other mechanism, that leads into the catacombs behind. Plus, a sign by the stairs up that say "Do not enter: Autopsy being performed" or some such, to imply he can claim to be 'on the job' while sneaking off to his lair.

Similarly for Nicodem (with the skulls above), piles and piles of coffins, in various states of repair and sealing, with perhaps one that's very clearly of a high-value corpse (or one that won't stay dead) wrapped thoroughly in chains and bound by 'steel' plates.

That's all I can particularly think of at the moment. I hope these serve as solid inspiration, and Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Taking inspiration directly from Tara's fluff in The Dead of Winter, you could always have a go at recreating the stone maze. There might also be a way to rig sections of the wall to spin on an axis, like secret doors. Could be fun chasing other minis through a maze like that!

For Collette you could also have a go at an abandoned theatre - broken lights, glass everywhere, costumes etc. Maybe even a trap door in the stage? If you felt REALLY creative then you could always go full Phantom of the Opera and style it on the Parisian Opera House, all gold and red velvet. And maybe even a Phantom's Lair underneath the theatre!

Von Schill strikes me as something of an organized ex-military guy, so maybe a training camp? Tagets, weapons, maybe even target dummies around the place. Oooh or an obstacle course, netting, tyres/obstacles on the floor, walls to climb over.

These all might be a little OTT but hopefully there are some ideas that will inspire people!

Well, the deadline is up (my time zone at least :) midnight CET) and it's time for me to play Santa...

markoslamentationsXmass.jpg

and announce the free issue of FPM of his/her choice winner.

so without further ado, I give you the winner:

Clawz!

French (Parisian?) Catacombs from the black death: Stacks and stacks of bones and skulls

LED backglow and have torches/lanterns

Dr. Frankenstein style, with little glass jars, containing weird bits of bodyparts or other oddities, underlit and eerily glowing in all manner of queer shades. A surgical table lays centrally, with bloodstains from Lord only knows what experiments, with shackles to ensure the more unruly experiments remain where they ought. (Potentially McMourning).

nice tile floors, ceramic surfaces

"Do not enter: Autopsy being performed"

So please, Clawz, send me your email on PM so we can arrange to give you your free issue.

I'd also like to thank all the folks for participating and giving me your input and ideas. They really help, and you'll see there will be probably a lot incorporated in the table of what you've written (not just Clawz). His ideas were the closest to my interpretation of the table and my own ideas. they were also clearly described in that it is easily understood the way to do them as well. so in all, I believe a worthy winner.

So to all of you from the FPM team:

548412_443281952440699_398371731_n.jpg

remember, keep those ideas coming. we'll be having another giveaway in about a month's time. and every suggestion/idea/comment from now on goes into the next giveaway!