how much longer

Shinigami_Taka

There's an FAQ at the top of this board;

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?46387-Aresenal-Deck-and-Open-Beta-FAQ

Q: When can I play with wave two models?

A: We will be beginning an open, public beta for all wave two models on October 7th 2013. During that time you will be able to download the rules for wave two models and give us feedback. In this way, you can help shape some of your favorite models!

• 3 weeks later...

So basically everything I own for Malifaux is worthless for exactly how long until this "Phase Two" is done?

This definitely is taking some of the buzz off my excitement about MSE. I don't really want to buy new models just to play the new version.

I don't want to come down too hard but I have been a rules designer for 30 years and been part of a lot of developments. I do not fully understand how the conversions for all these models could not have been completed unless there are going to be profound changes.

A little less time spent on converting to plastics and instead guaranteeing that the investment players already had in the game was provided for would have been a far better route. Certainly more ethical. Right now it looks like nearly half of all the players in my community will be S.O.L. Right now we are completely in stasis and I bet it stays that way now.

This was not the way to go. Bad choice of priorities. Sorry to be such a downer but nearly a year of waiting while the game floundered looks to be going even longer.

So basically everything I own for Malifaux is worthless for exactly how long until this "Phase Two" is done?

This definitely is taking some of the buzz off my excitement about MSE. I don't really want to buy new models just to play the new version.

I don't want to come down too hard but I have been a rules designer for 30 years and been part of a lot of developments. I do not fully understand how the conversions for all these models could not have been completed unless there are going to be profound changes.

A little less time spent on converting to plastics and instead guaranteeing that the investment players already had in the game was provided for would have been a far better route. Certainly more ethical. Right now it looks like nearly half of all the players in my community will be S.O.L. Right now we are completely in stasis and I bet it stays that way now.

This was not the way to go. Bad choice of priorities. Sorry to be such a downer but nearly a year of waiting while the game floundered looks to be going even longer.

Just to clarify, all the models you currently own will be totally usable, you'll just need updated cards. No one is saying you have to buy the new plastics.

As for the time it takes, we don't really know how long this has been worked on behind the scenes but Wyrd has been pretty up front on overall time tables, your group isn't going to be left hanging. Wave 2 rules/stats which includes everything not already released in Sept will be available for Beta this coming Monday the 7th. So you'll be able to start using them in less than a week.

If your group are sticklers for "official" versions that can be bought and have finished testing, these will be released either end of Jan or beginning of Feb (approximately) of next year. There has been no vagueness for those time tables given by Wyrd.

The only thing that is a nebulous "we'll see when it happens" is new model releases, either completely new or re-do's of the metals. But that's the case with any mini company, physical models are released whenever it happens.

Hope this helped clarify.

That's not ENTIRELY true. I haven't seen the Wave 2 info, but in Wave 1, Ice Golem moved from a 40 to 50mm base. There may be other examples.

True you might have a couple of basing issues (hopefully not though cause I hated having to rebase my Poltergeist :'(). But the mini itself is still valid, you don't need a whole new one. I threw my Golem and Geist on 50's and they're good to go now.

I'm not sure how small a shop wyrd is, but if their art team hadn't hadn't been doing art stuff, would they really be involved in rules? I see this kind of sentiment all the time when people critique companies (video games all the TIME) and I'm pretty sure wyrd could have furlowed their entire art department and we'd still get exactly the same time table for the new version.

My best guess is that wyrd needed to public beta the core rules so they can be sure its a stable platform to build a game from. They likely started with just book one (it was a good basis) then had to build in 10t and grems mostly to be "fair". Its also not a surprise that the masters currently out there tend to be "simpler" from a design standpoint. All the complicated ones are coming, just be patient for a few days.

I feel ya on this. So many models hanging in the breeze.

But with the whole playtesting process, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em certainly comes into play. Help us playtest the models you and your group are most familiar with so that they turn out fair and balanced, while still maintaining their flavor that you had fallen in love with.

A lot of models in Book 2 and 3 required more work to convert/balance to the new system. And I will say I guarantee there will be some significant changes for some characters. I would be willing to bet that characters like Dreamer and Collodi will play very different than the first edition.

Don't get me wrong. I think Malifaux is great and I and our game group have been wAiting four a long time and will continue to do so most likely.

I am just really frustrated because about 6 months before M2E was announced is when we all got started in the game. Then everything went on hold and has been there since then. This is nothing like the horror of being a GW customer but surely a way of getting all the factions done in time for the rules . My local game shop owner , who bought the entire wyrd Malifaux product line , is equally frustrated and does not know what is going on. He thought the new rules would get his large investment moving again but he is utterly confused and his distributor's seem to be confused as well.

I truly understand what it is to be a small game developer, I am in the middle of doing exactly what the cards for Malifaux require for a new game releasing soon, but if the new rules include a better built in point system with less subjective balancing then it really is a matter of moving all the cards over to the new format and tweaking the subjective abilities. Why was the decision to only do part of the cards made? If it is the community putting in this feedback then the whole thing could have just as easily been crowd sourced at one time.

I worry that the reality is that the feeling by the owner that all the gamers are just going to be biased where design is concerned is driving a general micro managed design cycle. If so, and I am worried I might be right, will we continue to chase the rabbit of clarity and continuity in M2E instead of getting the whole package nice and tied up at one time before eve more is laid on top of the existing factions.

Actually, from the 7th till the official release date your models' value will be greatly enhanced.

The public beta will be going on, which means that the games you play with your models and your playgroup won't disappear in the wind; you can use your feedback and game design experience to make positive changes to the game. Once the rules are out officially, you're not going to be able to make the same kind of impact on the game.

A little less time spent on converting to plastics and instead guaranteeing that the investment players already had in the game was provided for would have been a far better route. Certainly more ethical.

How is a public beta not helping guarantee that players' investments are not being provided for?

I love Lady Justice. Earlier in the public beta, there were issues with her. Along with other people, I got to make suggestions for improvement and now I'm getting to see those improvements in print. "Converting to plastic" has got nothing to do with it; there is a slow public examination of the rules for the betterment of the game in general, which to me seems like the ethical route to take.

I love Lady Justice. Earlier in the public beta, there were issues with her. Along with other people, I got to make suggestions for improvement and now I'm getting to see those improvements in print. "Converting to plastic" has got nothing to do with it; there is a slow public examination of the rules for the betterment of the game in general, which to me seems like the ethical route to take.

Thank you for posting this. This I feel is exactly why a public beta is a great thing. Issues with Lady J early in the beta was an understatement, she kinda stunk (and she is one of my favorite masters). Unfortunately, my free time went away at the time so I was unable to contribute more data, but I maintained reading the beta forum, and I saw how much she improved as time went on thanks to suggestions you and others provided.

'Course there's the other side of things. Where your favorite master seems to need an errata or two right out of the book. You know, where every single game seems to degenerate into an endless cycle of 'hold on, that can't be right,' and the inevitable post game 'well, it'd be balanced if...'

But yeah, on the whole the beta is likely to drum up some interest. Models are getting put back on the table and that's all ways a good thing.

Edited by hypoking

You do know that the time between the release of M2E and the 2nd wave beta is only 9-10 days right? Also M2E does not officially go into effect (for events and the like) until wave 2 is finished.

You could just play 1st edition for 10 days (well 4 days now). Its not that long of a wait. I have a nearly 100 soul stone Kirai force, it does not bother me.

If it were up to me, I would have done these releases in 3 waves, wave 2 is going to be HUGE. 4 Masters per faction (that are generally much more complex than those we got in first wave) plus Avatars is going to be alot to digest all at once.