Mercenaries in m2e?

Clement

Got a crew building question for everybody.

In the prior version, mercenaries (notably Von Schill and desperate mercs) often found their way into resser lists because they addressed various things that ressers lacked.

So how did we do this time? Are people finding mercs creeping back into the lists?

Depends on the master, depends on the merc. Also don't forget in 1.0 there was much less cross faction hiring available to most crews going on, so mercs were basically how you got things you lacked.

The only thing Ressers totally lack via the Wave 1 models is a way to remove conditions, or a long range Sniper, which most crews don't have. Johan and Hans are the answers to those should you feel you need either.

I've mainly been playing Seamus, and I haven't felt the need to utilize any mercs, although I might in the future.

One thing I did look at, and I can't believe I'm this interested, is running Malifaux child with Nicodem. He would cost the same as the vulture to field, and actually brings more to the group if your tactics are to move in a single big ball. (Heal on a 7:rams and give out fast via rigor mortis with a 7(with a plus flip!)

I would disagree with the concept of bringing more, even in a tight ball, but he does offer an apparently solid different choice than the vulture. For myself, knowing how I tend to need to utilize cards, I'm not certain I would want to give up the Vulture or the Graveyard Spirit for the Child, but it would be an interesting experiment. Let us know how it goes if you try it.

I've seen a lot of desperate mercs being transformed into Witchling Stalkers in 1.0, somehow due to their cost increase and a lot of rules being changed considering killing your own models they will evade being the favourite sacrifice fodder besides the Canine Remains.

I see Hans & Taelor being the favorite merc choice besides some Freikorps dudes & dudettes. I haven't played any 2nd edition games yet, so I'm talking just from my BETA lurking experience.

Oiran will be probably be good for Colette.

I'm also looking forward to what will the 2nd wave McTavish bring to the table...

I've seen a lot of desperate mercs being transformed into Witchling Stalkers in 1.0, somehow due to their cost increase and a lot of rules being changed considering killing your own models they will evade being the favourite sacrifice fodder besides the Canine Remains.

It w2as to be expected, they were savagely overpowered. Though I do have one with no real intention of using it as a merc, he seems to me more like the merc fodder. But well, might fit him in some day if I want some gunshots flying around.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, as I am new to Ressers, the new Seamus being my first master, I use mercs quite a bit. All of my prior experience w/Ressers have been more Marcus-centric like night terrors & shikome. So w/limited models I have pretty successfully integrated things like the convict gunslinger, ronin, & Killjoy into my lists.The combination of rotten belles luring models into rapid fire, flurry & the charge range of Killjoy has been the bloody end of many of my opponents models.

Kross

Let us know how it goes if you try it.

I played Tara (poorly) against sombody running the child w/ Nicodem. He started by using it to summon Hanged from corpse tokens he generated, and the switched to useing Vigor Mortis on Sybell. Now, it also helped that I'm not very good, but I think its a viable strat to get a bunch corpse markers down and then raise them

• 2 weeks later...
I have been waiting to try out Bishop on a Seamus list, with Seamus dropping the willpower by 2 and then Bishop attacking the model forcing the defence to go on wp instead and see what happens *grin*

Wait wha-

woooah.

Tara can do much the same thing. Think I'll be running Bishop with her now.

And Pandora...

Thanks a lot for pointing this out.

I have been considering picking up Hans to be a possibility in my Seamus crew. Me and my cousin bought new stuff to get into the game and have yet to manage to hit the table. But I hear Raspy(who he got) has some good range which is something the base Seamus crew generally lacks. Though I also have Tara that I have been playing around with.

traditionally, quality ranged attacks are something we lack as a faction. It was one of the reasons Von Schill was so popular with resser players in 1.5.

If you're looking for better ranged support, you're probably still going to be looking in the merc direction. Convict gunslingers are pretty functional, and Hans (even without headshot) is widely feared because of his ability to blow upgrades off of models.

traditionally, quhity ranged attacks are something we lack as a faction. It was one of the reasons Von Schill was so popular with resser players in 1.5.

If you're looking for better ranged support, you're probably still going to be looking in the merc direction. Convict gunslingers are pretty functional, and Hans (even without headshot) is widely feared because of his ability to blow upgrades off of models.

And if you take him with Tara and bury him, she can remove upgrades.

Scary stuff