Lussuria attempts to paint things...

Lussuria

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

think I will have have to bit the bullet and paint one :)

Just start with the models that you do not like that way you can practice/work on them and if they do not turn out the way you want it is not as big of a deal if you mess up or ruining them. In my opinion I doubt you will "ruin" them especially after how you painted your Marcus crew. You will be fine.

Just start with the models that you do not like that way you can practice/work on them and if they do not turn out the way you want it is not as big of a deal if you mess up or ruining them. In my opinion I doubt you will "ruin" them especially after how you painted your Marcus crew. You will be fine.

Thanks :D Haha, my problem is that there is none of them I 'like less' haha. But am definitely going to start them soon. I so badly want to have a whole Puppet Wars painted set!!

And here's my most recent update:

1_zps4f744d65.png

13_zps22bc8266.jpg

Now...I'm very aware that she's a bit..er..messy. I was trying to speed paint her ready for Mako's free-hand-along thread and knew I wouldn't have the time to paint her up during the week. But this gives me a week to give her little touch ups and what not.

Woo! Can't wait! *grin*

Edited by Lussuria

I have to admit I didn't really like the WIP shots of your Infinity stuff. Now I know the reason - the quality of pics did it for me. Now they look excellent. The skin is great, blacks look very good too. The parts where plates on legs join could use some delicate highlights along the edges but they look nice already anyway.

As far as the most recent work is concerned, it looks pretty good for a speed painted miniature. Now I just need to get mine painted in time, don't know if I'll be able to make it in a week - I have few other projects in progress.

Thanks Viruk :)

Yea, the Infinity mini's are..er...not anywhere near as nice as they can be. I've seen a lot of people do some amazing stuff with them but I'm really struggling with them (*correction*) and they're so tiny.

Oooh, I hope you have a mini for the paint-along! Would love to see what you come up with to free hand :D !!

Edited by Lussuria

ok you know the way you highlighted the inner edge of the grey skirt trim? I would do that to the raised flap edge on her gloves. then I would go back and paint those buttons. silver should work on the brown leather.

other than that nothing is really glaring. I do see you still like highlighting but cheeks. will you be doing your freehand on those or her skirt?

Thanks so much everyone!! *grin*

Here is her more touched up version. Don't know if I'm going to do anymore to her before the free-handing at this point.

2_zps0e6d1781.png

More highlighting on the leather and added silver for the buttons. Thanks for the suggestion, Nagash! Made her gloves look a lot better. Dunno why the quality of the photos go down so much when I post them. They're actually much crisper on my computer. :/

1_zpseb1b99a4.png

Tried to tone back the harsh highlighting on her as it looked pretty odd, especially in person and added shading to her hair - not that that seems to show up in a photo haha.

Also did some general edging and highlighting and cleaning and what not.

Also, the plan for the free hand is something like this (I just drew over her in paint).

8_zps3e27973b.jpg

Going to do the Cygnar swan on the back of the jacket, just not sure how big/small to go. Any ideas, anyone?

Edit: Now that I'm looking at the photos, I can see 100 touch ups that need doing. Mostly the bum plate. *sigh*

Edited by Lussuria

Edit: Now that I'm looking at the photos, I can see 100 touch ups that need doing. Mostly the bum plate. *sigh*

That's always the way with photos. They really help you see what you miss. This is both a good and bad thing. Good in that it can help you, bad in that you will always see problems in your own work.

As for how big, it looks like if you scale up a bit from what you drew in, you could have the head come up to just below the rear plate, and have the upper wings curl around the plate, sort of bracketing the whole thing. Could be an interesting effect.

I sort of want to do this, but I will be focusing on another project for a while, and have to real intention of doing freehand on any of it. (Other than some numerals I suppose).

Thanks, Bruglyother! I was actually thinking bigger would look nicer, and having the wings frame the back would look awesome now that I'm imagining it!

With the increased span of the wings, the right (right on this photo) will go into the crevice of the jacket - wondering if that might be too complicated for me to handle? Or might look funny?

Will have a fiddle in paint me thinks :D

It'll take a little bit of extra thought to make sure you get the angle right as it goes round the corner, but you'll be able to shade it like you have the coat, so it will help it look like it's part of the coat rather than just painted on after.

But hey, I reckon you can do it. Plus, if you're unsure if it's going well, you'll have a bunch of people to ask if it looks right on the way!