Lussuria attempts to paint things...

Lussuria

So after much deliberation over the past few weeks over whether or not I should put up some photos - a few board members gave me a nudge to finally do it. Hahaha.

Now, please keep in mind - I am new to painting and miniatures in general HOWEVER I have a very talented friend who is stepping me through everything and showing me all of the different techniques. So any credit should probably head their way.

I'm posting these pictures in the same order they were painted in:

3_zps358879c9.jpg

Miranda: I spent a lot of time talking to her while I painted her. Apparently she doesn't like her feathers. AH WELL.

I should also mention that EvilBleachMan wrote me a tutorial for her hair. Even though didn't turn out anywhere NEAR as nice as his blondes -was heaps of help as I was stressing about how to do it!!

1_zps37b54246.jpg

Tiny-Dragon: As I nicknamed him. He has the wrong mouth/tongue colour. But I didn't realise until it was too late!! EEEP.

2_zpsf2db2e2d.jpg

Cerby: Painting him was a test of my mental stability and I possibly discovered that I suffer some type of uncontrollable yelling disorder with a lot of 'ARG I STUFFED IT UP, SOMEONE HELP I STUFFED IT UP'.

5_zps12b73505.jpg

Marcus: I don't have any nice photos of Marcus because I find him really hard to photograph. His eyebrows/brow line came out a tad too white hahahaha oh well.

Oh and a close up of his little flame, as it doesn't really show in the above picture.

post-13642-13911930838674_thumb.jpg

AND NOW... to hold my breath and cover my head in a paper bag. Hahahaha.

Any and all advice would be most welcome!!

P.S. SEE Nagash? I did it!!

Edited by Lussuria

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ooooh thankyou so much!! It helps a lot having someone to hand it to and get immediate feedback on 'What am I doing wrong?' or 'How should I paint hair?' so any of my "success" at anything really comes from them.

That and having 100 tutorials strewn all over the place at any given moment. Hahaha.

I can't wait to learn to paint like everyone here.

I really appreciate the kind words!! *grin*

Marcus is the most impressive from this lot, really nice paintjob with smooth highlights. The other minis look really good too. I'm quite impressed with these being your first works. My only advice would be to try to water down your paints a little and apply them in several thinned down layers rather than one thick. It shows on larger surfaces that don't have well defined texture, like Miranda's paints. But it's not a big problem as it looks like you're getting the hang of painting quickly. Keep it up!

Marcus is the most impressive from this lot, really nice paintjob with smooth highlights. The other minis look really good too. I'm quite impressed with these being your first works. My only advice would be to try to water down your paints a little and apply them in several thinned down layers rather than one thick. It shows on larger surfaces that don't have well defined texture, like Miranda's paints. But it's not a big problem as it looks like you're getting the hang of painting quickly. Keep it up!

Thankyou very much!! Yea I have been struggling a lot of avoid the thicker/chalky looking texture as I can see it on my minis compared to my friends when I'm painting. We've made a make-shift wet palette out of a sandwich container and some kitchen sponges - so hoping this helps!!

And thankyou about Marcus!! In the space of time it took me to paint Marcus I think my other friends had painted about 4 or 5 minis completely that looks twice as good hahaha, but I was really really hoping for him him to be the standout.

Really appreciate that :)

Painting is all about practice, practice, practice and I look forward to seeing more from you *grin*

Thankyou thankyou *grin* Haha, yea I'm slowly learning that these things take time. I've tried to con people into selling me their painting ability with minis but apparently that's not a thing. Practice it is I guess!!

@ Victoria: Oh I didn't think that might be contributing to it. I might double check that I'm doing it right next time I go for a painting session. I don't usually ask if I've primed it correctly so that could definitely be a problem! Thankyou!

@ Edonil: I actually recently got Vallejo thinner and some Vallejo paints as these seem to go on a bit thinner than the GW (or I'm imagining things hahaha). So hopefully this might do something similar to the one you mentioned? If not will definitely grab that next shopping stock up!!

Edited by Lussuria

Woop! Now I can pester you here too instead of your blog. ^_^

Awesome stuff, as said before. What's your next project? (You know you can post non Wyrd models here too, right?)

Thankyou :)

And at the moment I'm working on some Infinity minis - but I think I've bitten off more than I can chew. These are WAY WAY too small to be legit.

But next project, is to get my Puppet Wars guys painted!!! I really want to play it, but I want them painted first. Haha, I don't see me being able to play this for a loooong time.

I know what you mean about the Infinity models. They are down right beautiful and very well sculpted. So fine and detailed it is insane. Painting one of those guys takes a whole lot longer than it takes me to paint a Malifaux model, since they are simpler sculpts.

You picked up the Aleph right? I recently caved and bought some Bakunin Nomads... May or may not just post an image of them primed on their bases (primed in bone color... ;D ).

You picked up the Aleph right? I recently caved and bought some Bakunin Nomads... May or may not just post an image of them primed on their bases (primed in bone color... ;D ).

Yea I ended up getting the Aleph start set as I liked their 'fluff' more than the other guys. And their robots (tags) look like they dropped out of Evangelion hahahaha. Hope you post up how you do the Nomads!! I'm sure even your bone prime will look more fancy than my attempt at detail hahahaha.

I love your Marcus and Myranda (she looks much better without makeup).

I'm not a fan of Sabertooth Cerberus sculpt, but your paintjob on him is really good.

Razorspine Rattler is the only one I would give a little bit more of work in terms of shadings on the yellow parts, or it might just be a too bright lightning in the photo. But overall he's(it's) well painted.

Great start!

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Post Scriptum

Do you have that killer bunny Jackalope?

I'm also a Marcus player, but I'm saving Marcus and Victorias for the last since I want to improve for painting those crews. (I'm kind of a beginner painter also, but I'm an advanced commenter.) *smug*

Do you have that killer bunny Jackalope?

I'm also a Marcus player, but I'm saving Marcus and Victorias for the last since I want to improve for painting those crews. (I'm kind of a beginner painter also, but I'm an advanced commenter.) *smug*

Hahaha professional commenter! I like that! And thankyou very much!! :D I did have a plan to give Tiny-Dragon (Rattler) some more dimension but then didn't end up doing it because I was afraid I was going to ruin him! Haha I'm such a wimp.

And yes I infact do! As soon as I heard Wyrd were changing their scuplts I went and snapped him up. Can't wait to paint him! I hope you post up yours *grin*

Very well done. You've nothing to be ashamed of at all. Hell,... your paint is probably better then mine. *grin*

Thankyou so much!!! Oh I really really appreciate everyones encouragement :) Makes me feel a lot better about putting them up!

And not EVEN close, Webmonkey. But I appreciate the sentiments!!

Hahaha professional commenter! I like that! And thankyou very much!! :D I did have a plan to give Tiny-Dragon (Rattler) some more dimension but then didn't end up doing it because I was afraid I was going to ruin him! Haha I'm such a wimp.

And yes I infact do! As soon as I heard Wyrd were changing their scuplts I went and snapped him up. Can't wait to paint him! I hope you post up yours *grin*

I'll first post Ophelia which is almost finished paintwise, and Leveticus is next on the schedule and should be finished by the end of month. Next month is reserved for Zoraida and some Neverborn and I guess I'll be saving Marcus and Vikkies for winter times.

I've posted a couple of my minis (Francois and Ophelia are in a lower post) in Webmonkeys "first mini" thread.

Your minis in this thread look much more advanced and cleaner than mine in that thread.

But I think people do improve a lot between their first minis, so I trust at least my painting will complement my sculpting/converting skills in no time since I have a lot of crews to work on.

Do you have any other crews in mind for the future?

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

PS

I should also squeeze Molly somewhere in my painting Schedule, almost forgot about her (maybe after Marcus and before Vikkies).