Marionette Pull Strings and combat

theJudge

Question

If a Marionette performs Pulls Strings while Collodi is in combat does the opponent get a disengaging strike which would in turn could stop Collodi from leaving combat?

Pull Strings states "Move Collodi" not "Push Collodi" so I would say the opponent does get disengaging strikes but it seems like a grey area to me as it is not Collodi that is performing the move.

16 answers to this question

avoiding a disengaging strike, or making one of his own, are one of the very,very few times that collodi uses a soulstone.

I've never tried what I'm about to suggest - but since he's been targettted with a strike, can't he nominate a marionette to become the target of the disengaging strike (before resolving effects) and thereby disengage anyway?

thoughts?

You'll find that you're playing Collodi in "waves". First you move, re-collect your marionettes, go in for your "buzz-saw of doom", re-locate and re-collect your marionettes again and repeat. The best use is to be precise with your marionette kills; to go in, kill and get out whilst you can.

@ Joel: I don't think you can because; you move to disengage, opponent declares to disengage. They hit you and your action ends, therefore, you wouldn't be allowed to move, even if you fling a marionette to defend you. However, if the disengaging strike had effects (damage, poison or whatever) then you may resolve it on a marionette instead.

At least that's how i understand it, although i can imagine fluff wise Collodi would fling one of his marionettes into his enemy's face, the enemy will try to untangle himself from the doll, and Collodi makes a quick getaway.

a disengaging strike, except for timing and it doing no damage/wounds resolves like any other strike. The terminology is the same. Sincew the marionette becomes teh target of the strike, collodi isn't the target any longer. I'd not thought about this before - but I might have to muse on it some more...

If I rememebr correctly if I sucessfully hit, then the action is ended. It shouldn't matter that the model I have hit is not the model taking the action. I have suceeded in my attempt to block the action, so the action is blocked. I'll have to check the exact wording, but I don't recall anything in the rules which refer to the acting model. I think its all "If the strike is sucessful then the action is ended." Rather than "if the strike hits the disengaging model"

"The moment an enemy model would leave a model's longest melee range, that model may interrupt the enemy's move and attempt to block it be making one melee Strike called a disengaging Strike, targeting that enemy model. No triggers may be declared by the blocking or moving model during this Strike. This Strike does not inflict Dg or Wd on the moving model if it hits. Instead if the Strike is a hit, the action of the disengaging model ends immediately. "

To me this means that if Collodi was to attempt to leave melee then he is subject to disengaging strikes. If Collodi chooses to have a Marionette to take the duel and it loses he doesn't move because he is still the disengaging model. This is a useful ability when trying to disengage from a model with Wicked so he doesn't take the Wds, but he is still the disengaging model not the Marionette.