Adepticon 2013 Results?

Ryu

I can say that I found round 3 to be very interesting simply for the number of Neverborn at the top tables. There was a fair amount of Neverborn on Neverborn violence for Beat Down. I think that says a lot for the advatange Pandora has in Master of the Hill, along with the mix of players with and without experience with the new gaining grounds.

One of the other things I find interesting is the differentials from the tournament. The field was very tight this year with lots of experienced players at the event. There was a potential differential of 32 points available across 4 rounds. One player (Kudos to Greg) who grabbed 3/4 of those, then the next highest differential was only 15 with the majority of the positive Dif being in the 11/12 range. To me, this says a lot about balance of the shared missions considering that means the average differential on a single round was only 3-4 points.

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

As noted in the results thread itself, it's interesting how the Guild and Ressers seem to have low/reduced representation in the 1 on 1 tiers (not without exceptions, of course), but then in the team games they're 4 of the top 5. Apparently those factions (or just their players?) are most deadly in pairs. :-P

While there were plenty of "pure" faction teams, I have to admit that Viktoria and her Doppelganger were EVERYWHERE at the team tournament. She showed up more than Von Schill! There were lots of teams who were declared as a non-outcast faction while half the team was Viktoria plus crew.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While there were plenty of "pure" faction teams, I have to admit that Viktoria and her Doppelganger were EVERYWHERE at the team tournament. She showed up more than Von Schill! There were lots of teams who were declared as a non-outcast faction while half the team was Viktoria plus crew.

Yeah, its the problem with our Team rules at the moment. Next year we may just record the masters used instead(since we do teams as fixed lists).

Yeah, we were a 'Guild' team that was Hoffman + Vikkies and they were a total blast to play with, but there was nothing like the synergy of Resser + Resser Corpsepocalypes 2013. I find Guild and Ressers do both tend to do better in higher stone games in general, so it make sense they did well in the team tournament.

I also thought the spread was very tight and the competition very fierce this year.

We took advantage of a broken pairing between Yan Lo and Nicodem, dog chopping our way into Turn 1 Rogue Necromancies and Avatar-Yan Lo (Path of Bone level 4 complete, Path of ash level 2 complete and level 1 path of spirit complete)

With Sebastian doing the dog killing and then creating another dog to kill with his melee expert anytime we started a game with 7 :crows and then him having the body parts for periodic heals in the crew.

We actually brought Chiaki with us all day (Fixed list) because we sort of assumed we'd be seeing Brett and Viktor at some point and wanted an ace up our sleeves, but the pairings did not wind up that way so she basically did NOTHING for us all day. (But we felt better knowing we had her just in case, I do not need Brett to wreck me again to know he is a better player)

Beyond the broken pairing of those masters, we actually... PRACTICED...

explorator, in second round we were on the sewer board, were you the NB or Vik?

That was a fun game and the only one in which we did not kill our dogs because we needed them for the land grab.

Everything came down to that very close battle with Lillith and the Mature almost wiping Izamu off the board at the start of turn 2... Once that tilted in our favor the final score was not indicative of how that whole thing could have gone.

I felt a little bit dirty with the list... But not so much that I didn't want the swag. :)

Multi master games are all broken. I really don't think you can fairly balance Brawls because of this.

But if they are all broken doesn't that balance things out :). I think more to the point there are some pretty huge combos out there in Brawls and multi-master events. Honestly I like this because most people in the Team Tournament come with that mindset and it makes it a more laid back tournament. Its not cake level laid back or even Story Encounter. But less intense then Masters

In prepping for Adepticon team, I actually discovered that Team format is my favorite.

I have played normal 1v1 twice in the last 6 months or so and not a single time in the last 2 months. I would much rather play teams and look forward to getting to the game shop when I know there will be a team match.

(I think my lack of normal 1v1 was illustrated well enough during the masters... :) )

That was a fun game and the only one in which we did not kill our dogs because we needed them for the land grab.

Everything came down to that very close battle with Lillith and the Mature almost wiping Izamu off the board at the start of turn 2... Once that tilted in our favor the final score was not indicative of how that whole thing could have gone.

I felt a little bit dirty with the list... But not so much that I didn't want the swag. :)

I was the Vik player that flipped enough Black Jokers that you refused to even touch my deck for fear my flips would spread to your deck. :) Getting Izamu down to a single wound and not being able to finish him off was a tough break. Games like that are why I love Malifaux.

Gremlins came in third in the Masters and won the Avatar. Your welcome. ;)

Does Gruesome = Brett? Sorry, I can never remember forum names, but Brett & co curb stomped us in the Team Tourney with ressers and I never did see so many corpse counters made so fast!!

Just Ophelia or did you use the Som'er handicap too?

In prepping for Adepticon team, I actually discovered that Team format is my favorite.

I have played normal 1v1 twice in the last 6 months or so and not a single time in the last 2 months. I would much rather play teams and look forward to getting to the game shop when I know there will be a team match.

(I think my lack of normal 1v1 was illustrated well enough during the masters... :) )

I had a blast with the team tourney as well. Was one of the highlights of the weekend, and thanks to Joe from Cheated Fates, for being such a great teammate!

We made our list 5 minutes before the event and I think we faired pretty well. We made one major mistake (rules mistake), that cost us some major points in round 2, but that's why I loved the doubles event. It didn't matter, we had fun regardless!

Joe borrowed some Clockwork traps from me to use and we made a pretty nasty Mei Feng crew, with a nasty railwork ability. Our list for doubles was:

Misaki (4ss)

Taelor

Yamaziko

Torakage

Ronin

Mei Feng

Torakage

2x Clockwork Traps

Kang

10T Brother

My favorite moment was when Lady J came charging at Taelor, did some major damage on the first attack, uses Onslaught for another attack and just needs to do dmg. I cheat her defense down to force more card flips, and she flips the black joker doing no dmg. Sadly, she had one AP left, and was still able to hit and finish Taelor off completing Kill Protege. Joe and I were having a blast though, and man are team tournaments a blast.

We took advantage of a broken pairing between Yan Lo and Nicodem, dog chopping our way into Turn 1 Rogue Necromancies and Avatar-Yan Lo (Path of Bone level 4 complete, Path of ash level 2 complete and level 1 path of spirit complete)

With Sebastian doing the dog killing and then creating another dog to kill with his melee expert anytime we started a game with 7 :crows and then him having the body parts for periodic heals in the crew.

We actually brought Chiaki with us all day (Fixed list) because we sort of assumed we'd be seeing Brett and Viktor at some point and wanted an ace up our sleeves, but the pairings did not wind up that way so she basically did NOTHING for us all day. (But we felt better knowing we had her just in case, I do not need Brett to wreck me again to know he is a better player)

Beyond the broken pairing of those masters, we actually... PRACTICED...

Victor and I plan to make a trip down to Wandering Dragon on a date of your choosing to settle the real first place :)

The only dissapointing thing about the team tourney this year was there was by far more teams in it this year than last year and 3 rounds leads to multple undefeated teams. It's understandable because it is difficult to play 4 rounds at 3 hours each with a break in between :(

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Gremlins came in third in the Masters and won the Avatar. Your welcome. ;)

Does Gruesome = Brett? Sorry, I can never remember forum names, but Bret & co curb stomped us in the Team Tourney with ressers and I never did see so many corpse counters made so fast!!

Bah, we didnt stomp you. We were lucky to win, you guys played great. I can always expect you to play the Vicki's at a very high level, the suprise came with your partner playing an outstanding Hoffman game. We were happy to get out of that match with a win. But as I stated when the game ended, the 4-2 victory cost us first place because of the lower differential :(

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

Multi master games are all broken. I really don't think you can fairly balance Brawls because of this. I'm surprised a Ramos Colette team didm't do better as I would assume auto Mannequins would have just been insane to deal with.

Had it been me I probably would have tried to pair Yan Lo with Kirai. =)

We won with Colette/Ramos last year but wanted to switch it up this year by going with Book 1 only masters. We also felt the land grab strategy could cause some issues with the manaquens/spiders being insignifigant.

I had a blast with the team tourney as well. Was one of the highlights of the weekend, and thanks to Joe from Cheated Fates, for being such a great teammate!We made our list 5 minutes before the event and I think we faired pretty well. We made one major mistake (rules mistake), that cost us some major points in round 2, but that's why I loved the doubles event. It didn't matter, we had fun regardless!Joe borrowed some Clockwork traps from me to use and we made a pretty nasty Mei Feng crew, with a nasty railwork ability. Our list for doubles was:Misaki (4ss)TaelorYamazikoTorakageRoninMei FengTorakage2x Clockwork TrapsKang10T BrotherMy favorite moment was when Lady J came charging at Taelor, did some major damage on the first attack, uses Onslaught for another attack and just needs to do dmg. I cheat her defense down to force more card flips, and she flips the black joker doing no dmg. Sadly, she had one AP left, and was still able to hit and finish Taelor off completing Kill Protege. Joe and I were having a blast though, and man are team tournaments a blast.
You guys were a blast to play against! I am already looking forward to next year...

I was one of the team members that played the Napervillians in the second round of the Team Tourney. Raul (Korrosion) and Dave were super fun to play against and it was a good game despite the fact that we got curb-stomped. This was my first Adepticon, and I was pleased to meet so many great players. I really hope to make it next year.

My name is Raul, I'm a recovering resser. [crowd: hi Raul] I had a relapse last weekend.

Turns out that if you're trying to kill Izamu the best way is to win initiative, brood mother a mature, charge with lilith, then swing again, then diving charge, then melee expert. You guys were the closest all day to killing the Armor and it was only bad luck on your part that he survived. The final score didn't reflect how close the game was. It turned on a few key flips. Turns out blasting decay into a big melee is a good plan :-)

All our opponents were great fun. Our first round opponents were ophellia/somer with 0 caches and lots of gremlins/piglets/stuffed pigs. Yan Lo actually maxed all his paths that game and wasted chi later because there was nothing left to unlock. It was an explosion of bodies.

Round two was against Lilith/viks/von shill on the sewers board. This game we let the viks kill our dogs for us instead of us killing them. Lilith and a mature took Izamu down to 1 wound then we gave him emergency healing by blasting decay off the mature.

Round three was against viks/von shill/perdita/sue/guardian with a ton of shooting. We were scared of going over the hill. Great scrum in the middle of the board with Viks/ronin/perdita/rogue necro/izamu/Yan lo/sue/guardian/dead rider. So much fun. I hope I can make next years.

All three games we played against at least one outcast. 2 games were viks/von shill. The "coffee" was excellent and my liver is still recovering.

All three games we played against at least one outcast. 2 games were viks/von shill. The "coffee" was excellent and my liver is still recovering.

Three cheers for Rauls coffee! Also congrats on handing me a good beating in the Masters!

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

The only dissapointing thing about the team tourney this year was there was by far more teams in it this year than last year and 3 rounds leads to multple undefeated teams.

Four rounds at 2.5 hours next year! (Maybe shrink it a hair to 22 stones?)

Bah, we didnt stomp you. We were lucky to win, you guys played great. I can always expect you to play the Vicki's at a very high level, the suprise came with your partner playing an outstanding Hoffman game. We were happy to get out of that match with a win. But as I stated when the game ended, the 4-2 victory cost us first place because of the lower differential :(

What can I say, we set high expectations for our unexpected Viks + Hoffman combo so still considered it a stomping when we bounced off your unstoppable Resser horde! Although I guess the Viks doing upwards of 70 wounds can be considered an achievement of sorts! :D

Great game as always and hope to play again next year.

What can I say, we set high expectations for our unexpected Viks + Hoffman combo so still considered it a stomping when we bounced off your unstoppable Resser horde! Although I guess the Viks doing upwards of 70 wounds can be considered an achievement of sorts! :D

Great game as always and hope to play again next year.

Yes the Vicki's put out the damage like no other :(

2 hits and the just summoned Flesh Construct was dead LOL

See you next year buddy. Sorry we will miss you at Gencon. Have a great summer!!

Three cheers for Rauls coffee! Also congrats on handing me a good beating in the Masters!

Thank Gruesome. His idea and mostly his coffee. Pandy vs ophellia really isn't fair, and I think you killed almost as much of your own crew as I did. Are you on vassal? We should play again.

How did the viks do 70 wounds? A hand full of masks or just lucky whirlwinds? How much stuff was summoned?

Make a severe impression on teams to e-mail Nilus their two 25 stone crews in advance so the verifying can be done and it allows for a fast registration on game day. I would even go as far as to say if you did not e-mail the list within 48 hours of the tourney then you will not be competing.

Registration 8:00-8:30am. This is just 30 min for people to check in and pick up their packets.

8:30am-11:30am Round 1

11:30am-12:30pm lunch break

12:30pm-3:30pm Round 2

3:30pm-4pm Break

4pm-7pm Round 3

7pm-7:30pm Break

7:30pm-10:30pm Round 4

10:30pm Awards.

I left around 10pm after awards were presented this past tourney, so ending at 10:30pm and leaving around 11pm after awards is not unreasonable. It's only about 1 hour longer than i stayed this year.

The key to the above schedule is we get the pre-registration info in and start earlier. I also cut the breaks down from 60 to 30 min except for lunch which remained 60 min.

Its doable and we keep the crew sizes the same and the round length the same.

I'd be cool with that. My biggest concern was the time limit.

The 3 hours was... AWESOME! Its actually a big part of why the day was fun to me to be able to play, talk, relax AND finish the game.

But then again, I am ok with 3 rounds too. Tie breaks don't bother me and final standings is a secondary concern of mine compared to relaxing.

But I understand that not everyone feels the same, so more games is cool.

Edited by Gruesome

I agree with all of this, the problem is last year when I moved the Team Tournament to an 8:30 start I had a TON of players complain. I thinks starting reg at 8:00, force lists submissions ahead of time, and cutting break times(and a comp maybe doing a pizza run for dinner for everyone so they can eat and play) could work.

Will have to ponder this more.