New Malifaux Solicitation: University of Transmortis

Wicked Lance

I'm actually kind of hoping that this is Book 5. Instead of making more and more new masters, henchmen, avatars, and such, give us a year of new encounters and minions to bolster what we already have, giving us new options without throwing even more crews into the mix, aside from maybe this Professor Albus Von Schtook, should he be a character with stats, instead of a looming menace like the Governor General.

I'm actually kind of hoping that this is Book 5. Instead of making more and more new masters, henchmen, avatars, and such, give us a year of new encounters and minions to bolster what we already have, giving us new options without throwing even more crews into the mix, aside from maybe this Professor Albus Von Schtook, should he be a character with stats, instead of a looming menace like the Governor General.

Actually I think this is the first of the, "Map Packs," that they had hinted at in a Gamer's Lounge interview last May or so.

Actually I think this is the first of the, "Map Packs," that they had hinted at in a Gamer's Lounge interview last May or so.

With it being an "encounter", and having rules for playing between 2 other players, that sounds about what it is like. It sounds really interesting. I am worried about the price, but I hope it is a lot of fun.

I am worried about the price, but I hope it is a lot of fun.

My first thought at reading this was, "There's a price!?" After checking it out I'm guessing that said pack will include any necessary models, which in this case sounds like, "Iron Zombies," which in turn sounds like a bad kung-fu movie that must be watched.

I completely agree :D That would be awesome!

If the $40 includes the models, then it could be quite reasonable.

I agree about that. BUT... I don't know that I need new minis at this point. I have a table full of minis and a fiance that is complaining that we can't sit and eat dinners there, as is. :-)

But, I am curious about utility. I don't play ressers, so having a resser crew is not overly spiffy. Had it been 10t, then yea, I'd be happier. If it is a 1-shot thing, that you can only play it one way, well, that leaves something to be desired, as well. Will I buy it... well YES... I just don't WANT to shell out that much. :-D

But, I am curious about utility. I don't play ressers, so having a resser crew is not overly spiffy. Had it been 10t, then yea, I'd be happier. If it is a 1-shot thing, that you can only play it one way, well, that leaves something to be desired, as well. Will I buy it... well YES... I just don't WANT to shell out that much. :-D

Just convince the missus to play Malifaux and that should help resolve that issue. As for the models themselves, I have a feeling that while they can be used by Ressers, from the description it seems like they will be, "autonomous," models in that they function on their own during the scenario. Sort of like how the mindless zombies work when Nicodem isn't around.

Just convince the missus to play Malifaux and that should help resolve that issue.

Been working on that. :-) Hope to get her playing Guild. Lots of strong, female characters.

As for the models themselves, I have a feeling that while they can be used by Ressers, from the description it seems like they will be, "autonomous," models in that they function on their own during the scenario.

That is pretty much my take, as well. I am curious about the portability of them. Is there any real variation, or would the games just be another terrain. Basically, a $40 piece of terrain, or encounter location.

If this is the start of a trend, I could see them releasing one for each faction, eventually. So while new Resser models might not do it for some folks, new models of their chosen faction(s) might.

Truthfully, that is my hope. That is also why I phrased my comment the way I did. :-)

This looks very nice. I like the idea of a pack of miniatures that can be used by a faction and used in the specific story missions in the pack. And if that cover is correct, come on - a flying zombie/construct?! Hecks yes! I even like the idea of the solo player option. Would buy it in a second.

I wouldn't be surprised by an extension of the campaign rules. It would also make sense to see Henchman upgrade statuses for minions given that there are currently models which "can not be promoted to henchman." This book/pack does seem like a tie in to Through the Breach, as others have already suggested. I'll be per-ordering this as soon as it is available to do so.