Requested price discussion thread

i_was_like_you

This discussion has actually opened my eyes a bit, making me think about the models more in terms of price-to-enjoy rather than price-of-miniature.

That was kinda my point. I can enjoy both games. I can spend the evening with friends and killing them with both games. Just with GW it costs me soooo much more to do so.......so I play Mali instead.

...a fully painted army is, in my opinion, far more impressive than a fully painted crew.

I have to say, we disagree here. I find an entire army to be overwhelming to look at, and in some cases, way too repetitive. Where as, to me, a crew really has the ability to show off some of the more lavish details such as freehand work or OSL. stuff that while does exist in the larger army games, is often not bothered with

This discussion has actually opened my eyes a bit, making me think about the models more in terms of price-to-enjoy rather than price-of-miniature.

Price-to-enjoy. I like that. I like that a lot.

This thread is very frustrating.

I have a motorbike.

It needs new tires.

Wierd Rubber sells me 2 for $200. Done.

My mate has a car. He can get tyres from Tyre Workshop in a set of 3 for $200.

But he can only buy them in packs of 3.

My motorbike is cheaper.

THAT is the difference between Wyrd and GW. You are REQUIRED by GW to buy packs that don't actually get your models onto the table.

Wyrd models can be added to a crew straight away.

There is really no point in comparing different gaming companies prices. Not only is it a matter of personal taste its really two different animals here. These animals might be on same farm... might be somewhat related... but in the end just two different animals.

Honestly Malifaux probably isnt the better value for my gaming dollars. Couple of us have tried and tried to get a following at my local game store. Sadly its a battle we are losing. Its really hard at this location to pry people away from GW games (which I find strange cause when watch them play or discuss the games theres lot complaining going on.. I think its just hard to leave cause the investment they already have in them.) So end result... we get some games officially 1 Saturday each month.

So value-wise my gaming dollar would probably be better spent on GW's minis, so that can get more gaming in. And MANY times Ive started to act on that conclusion. Problem is when Im standing there holding that 50$ GW box (thats not even an entire unit) and glance over at the Malif shelf... my eyes lands on 4-5 Mali minis I could be getting; that I like the company behind... that I enjoy the fluff of.. that I love the character of... that can use in many different crews...

Always same result; I misplace the GW box and end up at the counter with couple more minis, already working my mind in all the different ways I will use them. In the end, for me; it comes down to spending my money and time on just gaming to game and spending it on gaming I actually enjoy.

-----------

Sorry got carried away... in short, cant find value in your purchases by comparing them against others. The question is simple... do I get the correct amount enjoyment out of the dollars spent. I think the answer is obvious or all us wouldn't be on these forums discussing it.

Couple of us have tried and tried to get a following at my local game store. Sadly its a battle we are losing. Its really hard at this location to pry people away from GW games (which I find strange cause when watch them play or discuss the games theres lot complaining going on.. I think its just hard to leave cause the investment they already have in them.)

I feel your pain.

I've generally looked at buy-in price. To buy in, and start playing, you are looking at the miniature book $15 and a starter box $30ish. Less than $50 gets you playing the game. Sure, you can spend more, but you don't HAVE to.

I FEEL there is a bit more bang for the buck with Mali, as well. Each character in Mali has a discernible feel in the game. A box of figures from GW does not. As a whole, they have the same impact as 1 figure for Mali.

I just hope Malifaux continues to do well, and gains more followers. Getting people out of a GW game is very difficult, because of their sunk costs. They already HAVE all those models... switching to something new... not easy to do.

My frustration at GW and larger scale games was coming to the realization that most of my models were simply wound markers. Especially in warhammer fantasy you can spend 80-100 for a group of models which will simply be removed from the game as casualties. With a smaller scale game such as Malifaux even spending 7.00 on a model such as sue you have an individual model that will more than likely have an actual role in the game being played.

WGC weighs in:

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

My frustration at GW and larger scale games was coming to the realization that most of my models were simply wound markers. Especially in warhammer fantasy you can spend 80-100 for a group of models which will simply be removed from the game as casualties. With a smaller scale game such as Malifaux even spending 7.00 on a model such as sue you have an individual model that will more than likely have an actual role in the game being played.

Sure, we're generally talking about an epic battle between opposing factions in 40k and Fantasy, but a squad or two with actual wound lines instead of a whole movement tray full of wound marking miniatures could portray it just as well.

If they take the same approach with LotR, I don't necessarily need to see a force of a thousand Uruk-hai being killed by a line of archers and a half dozen main characters. [Tell me the game isn't that terribly unbalanced.]

Edited by i_was_like_you

The only gw product I will still buy is blood bowl. OF course currently that is all second hand market stuff currently. And the whole reason is because of their pricing.

Ironically it is the same reason I play malifaux. For around 100 dollars us I can get what I want and play it. Granted threw time you spend on other things but compared to other game systems (gw or pp mainly off the top of my head) I don't want to shell out 300-500 dollars just to get a new addition to add to my collection. I believe malifaux has found a great price point for their game as far as miniture game systems go. For around 65$ you by the rules manual, a box set, and a additional blister and bam you can get into the game and play a 30ss game size. For another 10-15$ you get one more blister and you are at the 35ss size game so for 80$ dollars (american) you have a full fledged crew to play.

The only gw product I will still buy is blood bowl. OF course currently that is all second hand market stuff currently. And the whole reason is because of their pricing.

I still have my BB, and my Warmaster stuff from them. I've been thinning out everything else for much the same reason. Back when I got into Warmaster, the book was like $20 or $30, and the buy in was low. They even took THAT and wrecked it. *sigh*.

For around 65$ you by the rules manual, a box set, and a additional blister and bam you can get into the game and play a 30ss game size. For another 10-15$ you get one more blister and you are at the 35ss size game so for 80$ dollars (american) you have a full fledged crew to play.

That is what I was referring to, when talking about the bang for your buck. It seems that the bang for the buck is VERY high with Malifaux.

Inquisitor Wall: That is a brilliant way to look at GW's products. You are buying models, that are would counters. When you put it THAT way... all the sudden GW is horrible. And, I think you are right.

What man.

I think Math MAthonwy is querying the statement that 'Malifaux is still the most affordable Minis game'

And I agree with him. Lets forget the GW v Wyrd price structure for a minute (BTW I still think this game is supper affordable) and look a bit wider into realm of other mini games and even historical.

I can (and have got) buy an entire American civil war 6mm Union army for less than £40 or have 40 perry sculpted Napoleonic 28mm models for around £20, with rule set options galore from Free PDF's to £30 ish black powder quality hardbacks.

Now another thing Im shortly getting a SAGA (dark age skirmish game) Scots warband. For me again this will give me an entire army for way less than a GW army (say £400 min these days), but price per model is still putting it in the higher price bracket, but in total Im still getting rules/models/extras for less than £100

So I think Math was just hinting at having a bit of perspective on the initial statement.....theres plenty more skirmish games in the sea ;).

But I love the current situation where I can play multiple systems for the same price as sticking to just 1 GW 'CORE' system :)