Just Picked Up My Strongarm Suit for my Freikorps, can't wait to paint it.

Animal

Besides the tubes, I think it's a pretty damn good model. Yeah, it's a little bigger, but I figure the guy who pilots it has to be pretty beefy to start, no to mention, he's got the armor on so he's gonna be taller. He's also incredibly dynamic, which I think is one of the best parts of the new plastics.

• 2 weeks later...

This was my first plastic model I purchased from Wyrd, along with Lazarus, and I was kind of disappointed by both. I think Malifaux's metal figures are some of the best out there, but the quality hasn't stayed consistent with the switch to plastics. I didn't like the lack of detail that can be found on the standard Freikorps models. Also, two of the four hoses snapped as I was (attempting to) carefully clip them off the sprue.

That being said, I painted mine up and have fielded him to some success. I do enjoy the rules for the model, just maybe not the model itself.

Well seeing as the Friekorps are special forces, don't think of them as your average grunts. A lot of special forces are built to be nimble and sustainable as far as fitness goes, not raw strength. It's more of an endurance thing. So the 5'7-5'9 height is probably the norm for special forces IRL. Remember, for every pound you are, you have to carry that much more around, so you burn that much more energy simply moving. I'm thinking Bruce Lee build. Smaller, nimble, insane endurance, lean muscle and quick on his feet type of build for your average Freikorps.

The dude that wears the strong-man suit is probably not going to be your average special ops man. Because he probably doesn't have to carry aroudn his own weight as much, and the suit does the heavy lifting, he can be one of the genetic abnormalities with the 1000lb leg press and the 600lb bench press ability. He's going to be strong because the suit would probably amplify that strength, but he's going to need to be a massive dude to just carry around the suite when it is static. I mean look at Kane(WWE) Glenn Thomas Jacobs. He's 7' 324lbs. That's a giant person compared to your average US Ranger.

Average US ranger is 5'9" 174lbs.

http://www.soc.mil/UNS/Fact%20Sheets/75th_RangerProfile.pdf

I'd say the Strongarm suit is a tiny bit exaggerated, but exaggerated to prove the point. He's bringing the guns to the knife show.

Now as far as the plastic aspect... yeah I don't like the plastic that is used in these miniatures. My Ashigaru in the Masters of the path had his leg bent at about 30 degrees off of where it should because the box was slightly crushed. Well I bent it back and it didn't snap. It does have some flex to it without snapping too easily, but at the same time, it is still plastic so it just doesn't take much to break it. I'm not sure how I'll transport the plastics yet... I do actually like the tube conversions better than the plastic anyway. Just looks that much more diesel.

Had issues with the hoses being to fragile to bend or fit on the slots without moving or breaking.So went to Joanne's and purchased jewelry wire and since they come colored was able to get a nice electric blue to go with the color scheme total bonus bending wire the way you like to make your fig a bit unique or even add more or less the gauge was 20. Heard that another person used guitar string for the job. Have fun..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good news is that they do include an extra hose. I probably should have used it, but I opted to cut, splice, and resection the one that broke. Now that they've had a chance to set, I need to trim off any excess glue and redefine the hoses that may have melted to each other.

So, that puts me up to two broken Nathan Hanged ropes, one broken arrow, and one broken hose. Not bad for an entire line of plastics.

• 1 year later...

Oh wow there's been a lot of chatter in this topic... am I the only one who managed to use all four hoses that came with it? (Mine only had 4 and if you look at the back of the giant cylinder there are four 'levers' that the hoses connect to)

I actually did finish painting it fully and finishing it but I haven't had a chance to take pictures. I've not assembled or painted anything in a long time and now I have my Hannah from the kickstarter to do, as well as the University of Transmortis models for the story encounter.