Underdog Challenge

Joel

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bishop is a great call - he fits into that paradigm perfectly! nice one Rathnard :)

yes, any model that seamus can take is fine for this.

I'm wanting to see how well I can put underused and underrated models to work in games - trying to push my skill further and learn how to make these tools work.

Hi guys,

resser minions are much maligned - so I want to make a list with the worst of the worst, at 35ss, to take to a tournament in the UK in the near future.

I need opinions on what should be included. :)

Currently my own thinking is:

Molly

Malifaux child

Crooligans

Guild autopsies

all need to be in the list - but which master?

any opioions appreciated.

The Malifaux Child isn't a Resser model. Breaking your own challenge rules there son!

If you're including the malifaux child and bishop, shouldn't hans get and honourable mention?

For actual ressers I think the rogue necro deserves consideration, purely from a value for money point of view, especially if there's no grave spirit to make him more survivable.

Guild autopsies definitely below on the list but I'm not sure I agree on crooligans, the few times I've played against them they've been a real pain (hopefully Jon won't read this!). I'd also disagree with rafkin in certain crews but in a seamus crew he would be overcosted.

Also, what about things like seshin, they don't really do much and if they're not in a kirai crew I don't see what use they'd be.

the challenge is the worst of the worst - posting in the resser forums felt most appropriate. (sorry resser fans!)

malifaux child certainly makes the WotW list. Combining all teh bad models though can't be done by any faction - but ressers get more than most it seems.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

can seshin be taken without kirai?? I thought there was a hiring restriction on them?

If a particular model works well for you, that is cool.

When you see a large number of people that feel differently do not be surprised if there is a negative response when the advice you give on them is "think outside the box" or "use them to get objectives".

Those are pretty much "no kidding, Sherlock" sorts of statements.

The other thing you should consider asking yourself is... Why does this model work well for me in my environment? Have I played it more than a couple times and against different opponents? Am I a much better player than the people against whom I am beating with the model?

Now, if you have truly figured out new tactics and uses for the model, then consider explaining it in better detail if you want anything other than a negative response.

But also understand that there is a chance that you are not smarter or have no secret that others have not tried and that you have either just gotten lucky or are beating baby seals in your meta.

---------- Post added at 07:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 AM ----------

For OP:

Revised my list... All rezzers and removed Rafkin. Regardless of my personal view of him, I think that its unfair to compound the issue by sticking him with a master that has no use for him at all.

So...

Ressurectionists Crew - 35 - Scrap

Seamus, The Mad-Hatter
--
2 Pool

Copycat Killer [2ss]

Molly Squidpiddge
[9ss]

Necrotic Machine [2ss]

• Crooligan
    [4ss]

• Crooligan
    [4ss]

• Dead Doxy
    [5ss]

• Guild Autopsy
    [3ss]

• Guild Autopsy
    [3ss]

• Guild Autopsy
    [3ss]

It's built in on their Ca...

Its still not very reliable though :P

The number of times I start activating crooligans and go. OK Ill try cast mist.....OK I'll try cast the mist again ;)

I like the idea of challenging Joel to use Molly crooligans and Malifaux Child though :)

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

For OP:

Revised my list... All rezzers and removed Rafkin. Regardless of my personal view of him, I think that its unfair to compound the issue by sticking him with a master that has no use for him at all.

So...

Ressurectionists Crew - 35 - Scrap

Seamus, The Mad-Hatter
--
2 Pool

Copycat Killer [2ss]

Molly Squidpiddge
[9ss]

Necrotic Machine [2ss]

• Crooligan
    [4ss]

• Crooligan
    [4ss]

• Dead Doxy
    [5ss]

• Guild Autopsy
    [3ss]

• Guild Autopsy
    [3ss]

• Guild Autopsy
    [3ss]

Thats just about the most gimped list Ive ever seen

But also understand that there is a chance that you are not smarter or have no secret that others have not tried and that you have either just gotten lucky or are beating baby seals in your meta.

I agree to a point, but I think alot of the time, many people who talk down a model have never actually tried that model on the table. Furthermore, if you try that model, but go into the game with the mindset that it's going to do crap all, you usually only see the things it does wrong. ;)

I guess what I'm saying, in my overly-cryptic way, is that you should never let the internet decide what models work for you. Hence why I appreciate the kind of approach Joel is taking with this WotW crew he's making. :)

I agree to a point, but I think alot of the time, many people who talk down a model have never actually tried that model on the table. Furthermore, if you try that model, but go into the game with the mindset that it's going to do crap all, you usually only see the things it does wrong. ;)

I guess what I'm saying, in my overly-cryptic way, is that you should never let the internet decide what models work for you. Hence why I appreciate the kind of approach Joel is taking with this WotW crew he's making. :)

I agree. I should have added that the people that hate a model should be trying the same.

In another thread about the McMourning boxset, I basically tried to say exactly that. That while most people were going to leap in and say the box is not good, that having bought it, the thread creator should at least TRY it a few times.

They will either figure out something great or really appreciate different models when they swap out. :)

Edited by Gruesome

I've found Hans to actually be quite useful myself - but I can certainly add him to this pool if you think he belongs there. He's still a good gun with a decent range and the custom ammo makes him flexible. I can see him in a similar, if longer-range, roll as a gunsmith in arcarnists.

@grusome - that was pretty much my first list when I thought of trying this idea.

@grusome - that was pretty much my first list when I thought of trying this idea.

Sick minds think alike or something like that...

It really misses on all cylinders...

Minimum cache... CHECK!

Overcosted Minions... CHECK!

40% of list does not drop corpse counters... CHECK!

No credible threat to remove focus from Seamus... CHECK!

Sick minds think alike or something like that...

It really misses on all cylinders...

Minimum cache... CHECK!

Overcosted Minions... CHECK!

40% of list does not drop corpse counters... CHECK!

No credible threat to remove focus from Seamus... CHECK!

totally agree.

however, this is going to be more about taking the unwanted and unloved models and trying to win with them - forcing them to work if they won't behave themselves :)

the list I had was:

Seamus

Molly

malifaux child

copycat killer

3 crooligans

2 guild autopsy

5ss

to at least give me a fighting chance ;)

I love this idea. I might actually steal it from you in my area. I don't have a couple of the pieces you're using, but i have plenty of the other suggestions so i'll build my own list and let you know how it goes for me. haha

I have to do something while i'm waiting on Yan Lo to arrive! ;)

ah, okay. I'm missing the crooligans and Molly. Though i'll admit i want to pick her up and give her an honest shot. When i got the good doctor last year i spent way more money than i should have on him and picked up a lot of resser stuff that i thought i would never use. but in a list similar to this, i think i could find some uses

however, this is going to be more about taking the unwanted and unloved models and trying to win with them - forcing them to work if they won't behave themselves :)

In that case you're probably better off running them in separate lists rather than loading all of the unloved models in together.

For example, running 3/4 guild autopsies in every strategy type would give you an idea of how they function in a normal resser crew whereas running them in a crew with Crooligans and the mfx child as well is not going to give you a balanced idea of their functionality.

I think that you might be able to make a better underdog list from the Arcanists, actually. Hoarcat Prides, Razorspine Rattler, Cerberus, Ice Golem, Fire Gamin - all led by aColette.

Something like this, maybe:

Arcanists Crew - 35 - Scrap

Colette Du Bois
--
3 Pool

+ Colette, Avatar of Deception
[2ss]

• Hoarcat Pride
    [5ss]

• Hoarcat Pride
    [5ss]

• Ice Golem