Ramos and crew with scratchbuilt bases

RichS

I love the models for Malifaux but one of the things I like most about this hobby is personalising my armies/crews/warbands. So having finally got round to buying Ramos' starter box a good 18 months ago I decided to make scenic bases for them. As always projects take far longer than expected, what with not being able to find the parts you want, not knowing what parts you want, and of course other projects. Finally I have completed the building stage and have come here for your comments and criticism:

post-11644-13911926161448_thumb.jpg

I wanted to make the bases related to each other and a steam engine seemed to fit the bill for arcanists. So first is a boiler with an arachnid swarm... post-11644-13911926161962_thumb.jpg

providing steam for the engine the steamborg is standing on... post-11644-13911926162675_thumb.jpg

which in turn powers something which may or may not be a teleporter which the second swarm is on.post-11644-13911926163933_thumb.jpg

Ramos is of course in charge of the controls. There are still a few wires to add and glazing for the windows but I'll add these during the painting process. All the arachnids are magnetised so at a later date I'll be making individual bases for them.

Thanks for looking.

post-11644-13911926098352_thumb.jpg

post-11644-13911926163334_thumb.jpg

Just a very quick update, the flooring is now done.

post-11644-13911926288679_thumb.jpg

Things I have learned:

Coffee stirrers make great floorboards, the grain stains well, they're easy to cut and sand and best of all hole cutters go through them easily.

Always paint the base board before sticking things to it otherwise you have to spend ages trying to paint the gaps without painting the boards.

It is a lot harder to make the boards on the bases line up with the display board than you might think!

And just so I can remember and incase anyone is interested, the wood was stained with umber wash followed by black wash to show up the grain. Washed with very thin scorched brown followed by a second black wash. Heavily dry brushed with vermin brown and gloss varnished roughly to give the appearance of wear.

• 2 weeks later...

First part of the crew painted. Despite the electrical arcs constantly falling off I've grown to really like them. I had a lot of fun painting this model, far more than I expected for something so simple. From the beginning I've tried to keep colours bright, I've always felt Malifaux should be a like an animated film.

Anyway on to the pictures, c&c always appreciated.

post-11644-13911926408885_thumb.jpg

post-11644-13911926409871_thumb.jpg

post-11644-13911926410823_thumb.jpg

post-11644-13911926411779_thumb.jpg

Next up will be the Brass Arachnid but due to travelling over the holidays it won't be until the New Year.

Thanks for all the comments, it really does encourage me to get going on these when I get back. I think one of my first priorities will be setting up better lighting, the colours here aren't quite true and the two LED torches I used for lighting were a bit awkward to position.

@RIosian the pipes on the boiler are separated just at the edge of the base to make life easier, for the other swarm the cable from the top is magnetised so that the arachnid can separate but the cable will probably need another join to be practical. I haven't figured out where best to cut it yet so I've just left it in one piece.