Lazarus

Sholto

With the kind of hips that could birth a full-grown rhinocerous, here comes Lazarus, Guild-hater extraordinaire.

I love working with actual plastics, so assembling Lazarus was a breeze. I was not too keen on the idea of the screw, but when I saw the supplied screw-cover I decided to use it. I am glad I did, as I am sure that reposing the arms will, over time, strain the glue joints.

The plastics were pin-sharp in places (literally so in the case of the many spikes on his armour), and oddly soft at others (eg. the piping around his neck). On the whole, though, very pleased.

The legs are weird. Just flat out weird. Go look at a picture of the official model, then take a look at his thighs. His thigh armour is on the back of his thighs. The back. Does he sit on a lot of aggressive chairs? Is he constantly being attacked from behind by robo-Kato? Or is it to make winter sledging more convenient? I put them on the "right" way round.

Painting was fairly quick with the airbrush, starting with a very dark reddish brown and working up to metallic golds and gold/ silver mixes. A Devlan Mud wash brought it all together and the detailing was simple.

I did consider posing him in a flying/ leaping Iron Giant style pose, but decided against it :)

Lazarus1.jpg

Lazarus2.jpg

Just realised I still need to add the blue cable to his right arm.

Lazarus3.jpg

And just to show that he remains posable (the ball and socket joints in his arms and the design of his neck joints ensure it is possible to do this without scraping off paint):

Lazarus4.jpg

The base is simple textured plasticard painted and weathered with rust pigments and a graphite pencil. The white stuff around his feet is where the pigment fixer reacted with the still-wet superglue :( I will get rid of it.

Let's be honest - I am not a fan of the look of this model. I like that it is the first Wyrd plastic model, and it was a fun experience to assemble it and to have a posable, playable model, but I do not really like the visual. Looking forward to trying him out in a game, though :D

Ah Lazarus... (sigh)

Let me start of by saying that I love your paint job. It's very clean and the reversal of the leg armor looks really well done. I also share your opinion on the model. I purchased my Lazarus during the Gencon rush despite seeing the digital sculpt artwork. At the time I said to my self "wow that look terrible, the real model can't possibly be that bad" so I ordered it anyway. Then pictures of the model started popping up during the Con and I again said to myself "wow that model look really terrible, it must just be the picture, lighting, angle ect. The real model can't possibly be that bad". So I anxiously awaited its arrival and guess what I discovered... The model really is that bad. If anyone knows of a suitable proxy for the model please please please let me know.

Edited by Twisted Metal

Ah Lazarus... (sigh)

Great paint work! but unfortunately i share the above sentiment about the model itself. knowing that i have one primed and needing a paint job, it still disappoints me that even a great paint job cant save that model. why wasn't he placed on a 50mm base and why did he come with soft squishy parts?! ...ugh...

Actually the model happens to be pretty awesome, but I have to say that leaving the hoses unpainted was a bad plan. You realize that is not how it's intended to be right? The way you have it makes it really look like a toy rather than a miniature. Kind of the same problem that GW Necrons have. They are only done in that squishy plastic so they can be posed and flexed.

Actually the model happens to be pretty awesome, but I have to say that leaving the hoses unpainted was a bad plan. You realize that is not how it's intended to be right? The way you have it makes it really look like a toy rather than a miniature. Kind of the same problem that GW Necrons have. They are only done in that squishy plastic so they can be posed and flexed.
I am fairly sure that if the hoses were done in rigid plastic they would not affect the assembly or posability of the model, so I don't think either of those is the reason they were done in a flexible, rubbery material. I could have painted them, but actually decided I quite like the translucent shade. Although there is no reason not to paint them if you want to.

If the hoses were the only problem with the model that would be fixable, but I think this model has more and bigger problems than just the hoses. But if you like the model then I am not going to try and talk you out of it :)

I'm really happy with how my Lazarus turned out. I also thought the model was a total sow during assembly but after some creative combos of metallic paints he turned out quite nice. I'll try to get some pics up on here somewhere.

To the OP - nice work with the airbrush - I was almost convinced for a minute you layered by hand! ;) Honestly the unpainted hoses look WAY better than I would expect.

I am fairly sure that if the hoses were done in rigid plastic they would not affect the assembly or posability of the model, so I don't think either of those is the reason they were done in a flexible, rubbery material.

It certainly would effect the posability of the arms. For example the way you have them right now, Lazarus could not put his arms down at his sides if they were rigid. The whole model was made with flexibility mind, so of course that was the reason for the bendy plastic. Plus doesn't the color Wyrd artwork show the hoses in a dark solid color?

But hey, it's your model, not mine -if you dig that look, then that's cool with me :)

It certainly would effect the posability of the arms. For example the way you have them right now, Lazarus could not put his arms down at his sides if they were rigid. The whole model was made with flexibility mind, so of course that was the reason for the bendy plastic. Plus doesn't the color Wyrd artwork show the hoses in a dark solid color?

But hey, it's your model, not mine -if you dig that look, then that's cool with me :)

The problem with painting them and being flexible, is that if you put pressure on the hose at any point, it will flex and the paint will crack/chip right off. Although i am painting mine, i did put a layer of zap a gap to try and stiffen them up so that they can take some abuse.