Lazarus thoughts

CrouchingMoose

So, I finally got some practice in with Lazarus at 30 stones and my impression is that he may not be worth it at that price. At 35+ ss games i think he would be amazing and could be set up for some great combos, but you would be sinking a large majority of points into gimmicks.

I'm also under the impression that his scrap for permanent assimilate turn 1, isn't as useful as people may think.

Obviously use soulstone from ramos is a good one but in 30 ss you waste a lot of points for scrap to get it turn 1. If your going to avatar you could have ramos and lazarus salvage under fire and laz kill the spider and assimilate use soulstone on the next turn with the 2 scrap.

I dont know if im missing something but lazarus just isnt seeming to live up to what he can do on paper. What does everyone else think?

I haven't had the chance to grab him yet, but after looking at him for awhile i've thought of a few possible combos. Grab a performer w/ mannequin and have him use link and attach him to the Viks. In the future using Vanessa to hire arcanist's constructs and either steals their abilities, or hires arachnids and smashes them for scrap counters. A good go to is just a tag team with Killjoy. I think it'll take a bit of testing before he finds niche to fill.

Unfortunately, Use Soulstone cannot be copied from Masters since Assimilate was specified to work on printed abilities.

I've always assumed the abilities given generally to group of models in the Rules Manial (Heal action, Use Soulstone, things related to characteristics and such) count as printed on the card, even if they are not there.

Otherwise you not only wouldn't be able to assimilate them, but also Hex them off or affect them in any other way (since the effects modify the card, don't they?).

I've always assumed the abilities given generally to group of models in the Rules Manial (Heal action, Use Soulstone, things related to characteristics and such) count as printed on the card, even if they are not there.

Otherwise you not only wouldn't be able to assimilate them, but also Hex them off or affect them in any other way (since the effects modify the card, don't they?).

Had this discussion with Ratty. You can't Assimilate abilities that aren't printed on the card under Talents and Spells.

Had this discussion with Ratty. You can't Assimilate abilities that aren't printed on the card under Talents and Spells.

It is quite an interesting development. Granted, I'm not sure if other actions/spells mention they affect only the talents/spells printed on the card, but now we in effect have two categories of talents/spells, which are not defined as such in the Rules Manual.

Incorrect.

A slight overstatement, granted, but not by much. If you permassimilate (TM!) some useful ability, great, but building our crew around the ability is a bad idea. On the other hand, adding mobile artillery to a Viks or Schill list (or plenty of others) is pretty sweet.

Edited by 011121

A slight overstatement, granted, but not by much. If you permassimilate (TM!) some useful ability, great, but building our crew around the ability is a bad idea. On the other hand, adding mobile artillery to a Viks or Schill list (or plenty of others) is pretty sweet.

Nevermind the Permassimilate, the ability to poach Talents and Spells, for Hoffman at least, as some pretty stellar results. I have no doubt Laz and Ramos are going to having similar awesome coolguy stuff they can do.

What the FAQ implies is that you can't assimilate things that have been gained during the game. What was it exactly that Ratty said?

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

by the way, I do believe it was ruled that Use Soulstones was counted as Printed on the Card. I think they explained it was to save Card Space

Here's the bit from the FAQ.

Q. I'm confused, what can I Assimilate?

A. If you can copy a Talent, you may copy any printed Ability, Action, or Trigger the target possesses only. Action Modifiers are not considered Talents for the purposes of Assimilate unless they are printed Talents possessed by the model.

Example: Hoffman can Assimilate (+1) Melee expert from a Large Steampunk Arachnid as it's printed on the card. He can't, however, Assimilate Reactivate from a construct if it has been put on him by Rusty Alyce.

More or less effects placed onto the model can't be copied. The question here is, is use soulstone from a Master or Henchman an ability printed on the card. As the FAQ is written I would say no, it's not physically printed on the card.

However it is on the list of things to discuss, because Use Soulstone doesn't qualify as an effect. It's something that is always on the model. It acts as if it was a printed ability. So it's possible the FAQ item needs to be tweaked a tiny bit.

Edited by Ratty

Back towards the OT, I can understand how Lazarus can get some great stuff from any of the crews he goes with, espicially with Ramos or Leveticus. That being said, it's seeming like assimilate, and espically permassimilate, shouldn't be the focus of what lazarus is trying to accomplish. What he should be focusing on is moving into position and trying to set up for Automatic Fire.

Back towards the OT, I can understand how Lazarus can get some great stuff from any of the crews he goes with, espicially with Ramos or Leveticus. That being said, it's seeming like assimilate, and espically permassimilate, shouldn't be the focus of what lazarus is trying to accomplish. What he should be focusing on is moving into position and trying to set up for Automatic Fire.

That's what I'm saying. He's artillery who may assimilate something useful, not a doppelgänger with a gun.

I have yet to use him, but looking over my cards it seems one of the best uses for assimilate is to grab fast or melee master so he can attack more often. I like the look of his melee trigger.

Fast can be taken from Ashes and Dust, Melee Master from the arachnid swarms.

I think triggers can also be assimilated, and there are a couple of nice ones on like Paralyze from the Swarm.