Rail Golem!

LoboStele

So, I purchased this on Thursday at GenCon, had it painted and complete by Friday, and played with it in 2 games on Saturday. Was quite a bit of fun to put this together, and even more fun to play with it.

I already had the base built, wired up, and ready to go when I got to GenCon. Building the model and drilling out the slots and stuff was actually easier than I expected.

Enjoy!

IMG_0339.jpg

DSCN4923.jpg

DSCN4922.jpg

DSCN4916.jpg

DSCN4912.jpg

DSCN4911.jpg

Hmm, I have no issues with plastic quality in general (if anything, it can be and often is better than metal), but I can't help the impression Wyrd's plastic sculpts are considerably less elaborate than the metals.

Granted, we had some metal minis which were almost too busy last year, so it may seem so in comparison. On the other hand in a skirmish game one expect each model to stand out, more so than in bigger miniature games.

Or is it just auto-sugestion on my part?

I love the flames and I think the black "skin" looks very good. Tough to paint too.. I'm not a fan of wooden/metal legs though. Not only it reminds me of the giant on the wooden legs expression (also giant on the clay legs), but I think they look a bit too clean. Perhaps a generous application of soot-like weathering paint? Or powdered black pastels?

Edited by Q'iq'el

To be fair, I speed painted this model, didn't bother with filling gaps or anything, etc.

And I would say that out of all the new plastic models, this one is probably the least detailed. Some of the Metal Gamin have some CRAZY detail for how small they are. Same with the Archers. I think the quality of the sculpts/models is just as good as the metal, once you have them in your hands.

Could the Rail Golem have been more complex? Sure. But there are some neat subtleties to him too.

So, I purchased this on Thursday at GenCon, had it painted and complete by Friday, and played with it in 2 games on Saturday. Was quite a bit of fun to put this together, and even more fun to play with it.

I already had the base built, wired up, and ready to go when I got to GenCon. Building the model and drilling out the slots and stuff was actually easier than I expected.

Enjoy!

Looks sharp. :D

I could use some pointers from you in the LEDs department.

Love what you've done with him... Now I want to do something similar when mine arrives

Same here. I wanna put a green one in Miss Terious' coffin. These plastic models are just so much more inspirational (to me anyways) for mods, lighting, etc.

Edited by i_was_like_you

Honesatly, it makes me wwant to be able to create an effect like an LED using only paint. because it'd be cool. actual LEDS are cool, but I feel like I could do that without having to stretch myself. painting glow? that's a challenge.

Oh, it is. I've seen a few stellar examples of it, namely someone on here's Witchling Stalkers. Which, no pun intended, can't be replaced for exterior glows, like eyes, flames, etc. But with these new hollow (or easily hollowed out) plastic models, having the electric glow option just seems to make it shine even more. Couple the two, by going for a decent paint effect with a glowing LED and it'll look truly amazing.

OOoh, the green on MissTerious' coffin is a great idea. The tough part is figuring how where to hide the battery though. The battery and clip I use for most of my projects is about the size of a 30mm base. For instance, with the Rail Golem here, I have to drill out the center of the base to insert that stuff. On a 30mm base, that would be quite tough indeed. Of course, I've already started to assemble/paint my MissTerious, so would be tough to back track now. Is quite tempting to try this on the extra one I've got. Hmm...

Generally, on the subject of LEDs, it's really just about leaning how to do the V=IR calculations (Voltage = Current * Resistance) in order to figure out what size resistor you need. Generally, a single 3V watch batter will power just about any LED. Then you just gotta connect the wires the right way. Learning to solder was REALLY helpful for me, as that's a small and secure way to wire everything together.

• 1 month later...

Working at a Radio Shack gives me plenty of time to browse the parts drawers. Just need to find the time after work to complete any of the painting, basing, terrain building, etc., projects I have in mind.

Just picked up the Rail Golem, Dark Debts, Mr. Graves, and Mr. Tannen from my LGS yesterday. Getting the Rail Golem off the sprue and ready to go for later.

Keep up the good work. :)

Oh, I don't suppose you've found mounts for any batteries smaller than 2032s, have you?