Is zero even?

Ratty

Question

Before I get asked this again and again.

0 is an Even number

Why zero is even

It is easy to directly prove that zero is even: A number is called even if it is an integer multiple of 2. As an example, the reason that 10 is even is that it equals 5 × 2. In the same way, zero is an integer multiple of 2, namely 0 × 2, so zero is even.

This proof starts with a standard definition of "even number". It is also possible to explain why zero is even without referring to formal definitions. The following explanations make sense of the idea that zero is even in terms of fundamental number concepts. From this foundation, one can provide a rationale for the definition itself—and its applicability to zero.

Why should you care

Well one of Jakob's spells needs you to know if a card is even or not. As a Black Joker's value is 0, it's even.

This announcement has been brought to you by the number 0, and wikipedia.

23 answers to this question

0 is an odd duck. There are valid arguments that it is odd, even, and not a number at all. I could also make the case that 0=infinity.

I'd say we should do away with it, but apparently it's necessary for the internet, so I guess we can keep it. I'm keeping my eyes on Zero though. One of these days, it'll slip up and let it's true colors show, and on that day, I'll be there, yelling I told you so.

No, it isn’t. You can’t divide by 0, remember?

2 is an even prime number, though.

Actually, you can divide by zero. It gets really complicated really quick, and the number approaches inffinity, but you can do it.

Also, 0/0 = 0, 1, or Infinity depending on how you look at it.

0 isn't a prime though.1*0=0. 2*0=0. 3*0=0. Therefore, since it has multiple(even infinite) divisors, it can't be a prime.

Actually, you can divide by zero. It gets really complicated really quick, and the number approaches inffinity, but you can do it.

Also, 0/0 = 0, 1, or Infinity depending on how you look at it.

0 isn't a prime though.1*0=0. 2*0=0. 3*0=0. Therefore, since it has multiple(even infinite) divisors, it can't be a prime.

Unfortunately not. 0/0 is not defined, not even as infinity and certainly not as 1 or 0. Historically, one of the earliest recorded references to the mathematical impossibility of assigning a value to a /0 is contained in George Berkeley's criticism of infinitesimal calculus in The Analyst.

You can consider a limit as the denominator tends towards zero. In this case, for some number a, lim_{x->0}a/x=sign(a)*infinity. Generally the only case where division by zero is even slightly considered is on the Riemann sphere, where the number 1 (and only 1) can be divided by zero to give 1/0=infinity. This is only a very special case for a very peculiar set.

You are correct that zero is not prime. It is divisible by every number except 0. Indeed, for 0/a to make sense for any a you need only find a number b such that a x b = 0.

Unfortunately not. 0/0 is not defined, not even as infinity and certainly not as 1 or 0. Historically, one of the earliest recorded references to the mathematical impossibility of assigning a value to a /0 is contained in George Berkeley's criticism of infinitesimal calculus in The Analyst.

You can consider a limit as the denominator tends towards zero. In this case, for some number a, lim_{x->0}a/x=sign(a)*infinity. Generally the only case where division by zero is even slightly considered is on the Riemann sphere, where the number 1 (and only 1) can be divided by zero to give 1/0=infinity. This is only a very special case for a very peculiar set.

You are correct that zero is not prime. It is divisible by every number except 0. Indeed, for 0/a to make sense for any a you need only find a number b such that a x b = 0.

This must be what a headache with pictures feels like? I learned something today, I think.