The Iron Quill- The Beta Round

edonil

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Thechosenone: It took you a whole 2 hours!? How difficult is it to copy + paste? I mean come on man...

Who wants to call dibs on Lord Chompy Bits? ;)

I just came up with an idea and read up on 'showing, not telling'. With a theme like this I could go really crazy, but I'm trying to do a far more simplistic story than my last.

"Be subtle with it, man."

[Pauses]

"You know what subtle means?"

"Laid back and $hit."

@Thechosenone: It took you a whole 2 hours!? How difficult is it to copy + paste? I mean come on man...

Who wants to call dibs on Lord Chompy Bits? ;)

I just came up with an idea and read up on 'showing, not telling'. With a theme like this I could go really crazy, but I'm trying to do a far more simplistic story than my last.

"Be subtle with it, man."

[Pauses]

"You know what subtle means?"

"Laid back and $hit."

(falls out of chair) I love that last bit, Panda. Ah, that's awesome...also, keep in mind, you've got half the room to work with. *wink* Honestly, it'll be interesting to see if anyone does go with good ol' Lord Chompy Bits...we've got so many people with their own view of Malifaux that I'm almost expecting everyone to avoid LCB because they expect everyone else to use him. Kinda like if we were to do a Puppeteer thing, I expect a bunch of people to avoid Collodi just because.

Honestly, it'll be interesting to see if anyone does go with good ol' Lord Chompy Bits...we've got so many people with their own view of Malifaux that I'm almost expecting everyone to avoid LCB because they expect everyone else to use him.

I have an idea for a Dreamer/LCB story, but I like my current idea too much right now. I'm more interested, considering the theme, to see how people treat something a bit more abstract than "he had a hangover"... perhaps just go with "I had an ever so strange dream" *facepalm*

But I dare someone to Malifaux Inception ;)

I dunno, I don't use the known characters as I find getting them to match the way they are in the books quite restrictive, and tricky. And there's something that jars me when someone uses someone else's character and doesn't quite get it right.

That said, there were some in the last round that did it and got away with it, just from how they were put in and getting their personalities right, so I guess it's not always a bad thing!

Something you might want to try a couple times is a thing I pulled from Nano called a word sprint. Set a time limit, get rid of all distractions, and just write. Stream of consciousness. It helped me a lot when I was trying to get the muse back into things last year, and was a really useful trick. If you try it, keep the time limit short, like five minutes, and just see how many words you can get down.

@Panda, Copy plus paste is tough stuff! No seriously its new work. I'm totally not one to peck at a story. If i get it in my head i'm not touching the story till i can get it out in one sitting. The rawness of the story in that form really works for me. It develops as I type it. It probably comes from my fourteen years as a game master but when I wrote its almost like I develop as character, put them through a scenario and evolve it as I go. I never have a set ending in mind, just scenes and themes.

Also I was gunna random this one as far as characters go just like I did last time. Grabbed a bunch of cards. Drew three and two of the same ones as last time came up. Skipped random and just thought up a scenario and picked a few characters.

Also, lets troll the story threads again by talking about which Gatsby characters we hate.

Also, also... I do believe you visited my blog. Glad to have you. Anyone else want to visit a fashion and life style blog pop over to The-Approach.org.

Anyway, can't wait to post, get feed back and get editing. 1500 words is hard stuff.

As much as I don't want, now we're just going to have to troll every thread you're part of Edonil. Gatsby is a great book. I suggest reading it by choice in your adult years now. I know when I had to read it back in high school I hated it. It was a chore. But having read it again back during round one I grew to love it. Every character is so perfectly done and every emotion so perfectly wrought. Its really something.

And yeah, my thing's done. I'll post it before work. My inspiration was playing out the in game effects of a (1)AP Spell but with like, 1500 ish words.

Stream of consciousness.

Clearly I would never employ this method, and if you don't believe me I can write another wall'o'text on the matter ;)

I never have a set ending in mind, just scenes and themes.

The end is usually what comes to me first, which is annoying because I want to rush to get to that climatic point, but unless the pacing is right no one will be able to enjoy it. Problem is my stories are almost always too big, too ambitious (my film ideas are ridiculous) and so when I write it a lot is cut out on the fly and I wing it till the end. First thing I always do is figure out the core story, what that feels like (find references) and what deeper message it could represent. Then I do a treatment, though always skip character profiles and focus on story, plot and theme. Research is always the struggle, and a bit of a chore sometimes.

My current story is going to focus on a single setting, dialogue between a limited cast and pacing, with the theme and multiple motifs providing depth.

Also, lets troll the story threads again by talking about which Gatsby characters we hate.

I read it first when I was resitting Higher English at secondary school. I loved it the moment I started reading it. Which is weird, because I didn't read till quite a late age and the first books I liked were stuff like Tale of Unfortunate Events and David Gemmell. Throughout my teens I only ever read Black Library books (Dan Abnett mostly) and just about every book in school was a chore. Gatsby was different; while reading it I was performing (along with many from my school and community) in a National Theatre of Scotland initiative called Transform and had to force myself to not finish it too early. I can just relate to everything in that book (except the wealthy Jazz Age party goers) and it helped me deal with a lot of issues.

But enough of Gatbsy, I want to talk movies, since they've been a big part of the last 3 years of my life. My current story will be drawing inspiration from The Proposition, Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and HBO series Deadwood. Also, to try and overcome my slight introspective heavy, tell-not-show style, I'm trying to think more in film terms than before. Soundtrack is also a big thing for me, and I will be listening to the OST for all of the above, plus some key songs that have inspired this story.

Beyond Iron Quill, I recently finished Battlestar Galactica and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, both very very good shows (for different reasons). My Masters research is also being heavily influenced by The Wire i.e. the greatest show ever and I've got a very long backlog of film and TV to watch at some point (when I have the time).

Also, also... I do believe you visited my blog. Glad to have you. Anyone else want to visit a fashion and life style blog pop over to The-Approach.org.

Darn, I've been spotted! I received some converse shoes (*shrugs*) and sunglasses for my birthday and couldn't help but think of your blog and one of my stylish (or rather style concious), but impractical friends. I'm very much a practical person who didn't buy his own clothes till the age of 18. Also, for awhile leading to graduation I had long hair and an ugly bushy beard. People couldn't undersand why I didn't get a haircut or shave since I stated that I prefer the short hair, clean shaven look. The answer is all about framing ;)

Okay, can we cuddle now :)

No. Don't even think about it mister.

You're gonna clean the dishes first, then vacuum the house, tidy out the attic and do the garden. And that's just for starters; my nose hairs to pluck themselves.

Oh and I still get two thirds of the bed, but you have to earn your third. And no sex unless you give me pandas, but pandas make me sleepy.

Now I'm off to meet my good friend and personal trainer Pablo for some... exercise. Now get to work dunderhead!