Who is the least effective Resser Master?

Rathnard

Ahhh so I didn't miss anything. I still love the guy, and really, I'm glad you find him effective, even if I don't. I will say it says something that even though he performs no where close to any of my other masters he is still one of my favorites to play. Even though from a purely competitive standpoint I don't feel Molly and Seamus is a very effective combination I am unable to separate them, I love them both so much! Have to give Wyrd very great compliments on how wonderfully the characters and personalities of the models shine through their models.

Edited by Fetid Strumpet

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though from a purely competitive standpoint I don't feel Molly and Seamus is a very effective combination I am unable to separate them, I love them both so much! Have to give Wyrd very great compliments on how wonderfully the characters and personalities of the models shine through their models.

Isn't that the crazy thing? I cannot think of another game where certain models have so regularly done so little for me that I still want to trot them out as often as possible.

Heck, I even tried a Molly-led crew for one round at Adepticon in the story encounter. You'd think I'd have melted her down after how well that went. Yet, here I sit, still trying to include her where I can.

Her, Rafkin and Carrion Effigy... I want to make them do more for me and I just keep failing to make them work... At least Special Forces rules prevent me from mega-super-fail that might really break my soul since I cannot run effigy and molly together.

Heh, actually I don't find him that effective, just flexible.

So more on what i did a poor job explaining earlier: Molly gives Seamus +3 walk. Seamus then uses up to two ap to get in an ideal position (within 4" of 2-3 models). He then uses Face of Death (Terror 14) and activates No Escape on lowest WP. Assuming it's turn two and you've cast Face of Death already, you manifesting is almost assured. Even if he resists the terror, chances are you have a belle (or two) in your crew and you have a few lures. If you have a nurse, you can pull off a turn two manifest.

-I do not think it's worth it, because Necrotic Ministrations is that good.

No Escape lets you charge, not just attack! You can now reposition Seamus and move that beautiful 4" Terror 14 bubble around. Block los to Seamus, or engage a further target. At this point your opponent has used a lot of high cards.

I rarely bother cheating Seamus's defense. It's average. I assume that every time hes hit he should be losing 3 wounds, but occasionally you are out of position and get hit by something silly, like Lady J. You can expect to lose 10-11 wounds if the cards really go her way. She should never get that last one. If you use a stone to try to increase your defense, you're already behind by 3. Even more if once you consider that you will most likely be losing the duel first, have no defensive triggers, and Lady J can cheat and stands a 25.92% chance of dealing a further point of damage. (it's even WORSE with onslaught!). Now what if you just do a damage prevention flip? The best damage she can do vs you is 10. No matter what happens, it'll take another 2 hits to kill Seamus.

Regaining wounds! If you're still engaged, you won't be shortly. Belle's, Copycat, Dead Rider you have options to be pulled from combat. Assuming you have a desperate merc, dog or even the belle that just saved you, you life drain it. Typically I life drain twice, then Drain Soul. At a minimum I've just gained 6 wounds, a stone and another card from a Belle. On an unlucky flip you can go right back to full from a single desperate merc (5 Drain life, 2 Necrotic Ministrations, then the healing flip). Going back to the typical 3 wounds a hit, it'll take another 4 hits to kill you. That's if no one else dies within 6.

McMourning is our melee master. Nico has his horde. Kirai has her movement. Seamus is the poor misunderstood boy in the corner.

The only thing I have found different in what you describe is that when I get close to the enemy, I need AP left to stay alive long enough to have terror start paying off.

If I manifest next to enemy with my last action, I feel VERY vulnerable as most things are capable of beating a Terrifying->13 with a full hand if I am at all unlucky. All it takes is one round of concentrated fire and God forbid that its someone like LadyJ in the mix. I like to have at LEAST my (0) and a (1) left in order to drop surrounding enemy's WP by 2 and to increase my terrifying by 2.

Getting a couple failures that first contact is crucial to me having those extra wound heals started as things begin activating.

I also sometimes cheat my dealt damage down to keep terrified models alive near me to keep armor on and to get an additional wound heal the next time they fail terrifying. (Once they fail, they are toast regardless because I will be at 17 soon)

Edited by Gruesome

... the man with gun is the one left holding the bag.

hee hee I see what you did there... Hee hee.

I have been wanting to pick up some more in ressers and there has been a seamas starter and avatar at my LGS for quite some time now that has recently been whispering to me. Also Molly's box to add to my resser collection and use her in a seamas crew...

Why is it that after all this, I now want to play about with a Seamus crew? I barely get time to play ever, and I suck badly, so it can't be a good plan!

Mind you, I can always blame my losses on poor Seamus rather than my own incompetence that way...

Went with Seamus myself. I love the dapper man of men, but if it wasn't for his awesome fluff he'd not be much of a dandy. I rarely see a strat where I think 'ye, Seamus is the man for this strat'. I'd prolly never pick him for his stats. What he lacks in stats and abilities though, he more than makes up for in awesome hat and stylish flintlock!

One of the joys of playing Seamus though is that since he feels sort of subpar, you always learn new things with him. There's none of that 'learn this one gimmick and be done with it'. Since his gimmicks just ain't that good.

Why is it that after all this, I now want to play about with a Seamus crew? I barely get time to play ever, and I suck badly, so it can't be a good plan!

Mind you, I can always blame my losses on poor Seamus rather than my own incompetence that way...

My thoughts exactly! I have this exact same problem. My add for games has always been very bad.

Seamus continues to be one of the most fun Masters to play, as long as winning or losing doesn't matter. It really is a testament to how awesome the game is that we all keep wanting to play a Master just because he can be fun. He has some good but some seriously bad matchups, so you never quite know how the game is going to go. I have won big and lost big with him, but he is always interesting.

Guess this will all go to show that the idea of "weakest" and "broken" are maybe in the mind of the player. If Rathnard does start a clean sweep with Seamus and schools all he plays against, would that make Seamus powerful or maybe broken? Or does that just prove that Rathnard is a good player? Guess we will all see in the end.