Gencon 2012 Events

Cadilon

I am sure we'll see an official announcement from Wyrd, but Gen Con had released their event catalog.

There will be four Malifaux Tournaments that qualify for a final tourney on Sunday. There is one Thursday, two Friday, and Master of Malifaux being Saturday. YThe Sunday one is called Avatar of Malifaux, and it sounds like masters will start manifested.

I'd list more details, but I am on my phone. I am sure others can fill in.

If Masters start the game Manifested, I wonder if any that need some set up and going to be viable.

Couple examples would be Lilith, would she get the Illusionary Forest that hangs around after manifesting and where would the Manifested Forests go or even be placed?

And Pandora, would she be immobile in the deployment zone?

Just some thoughts...

Here are the five events in more detail:

First into the Breach

Thursday, 12:00-4:00, 4 hrs

Step into the Breach early for a chance to qualify for Sunday's invitational. (Top 2 players advance.) Let Fate decide… (25SS, 1 faction)

One Way Ticket

Friday, 10:00-2:00, 4 hrs

The Breach is open; your time has arrived for a chance to qualify for Sunday's invitational. (Top 2 players advance.) Or will your soul be lost… (25SS, 1 faction)

Swing by the Hanging Tree

Friday, 3:00-7:00, 4hrs

If you get into a bind, it’s time to cheat fate. Use your cunning to qualify for Sunday's invitational. (Top 2 players advance.) We’ll be waiting… (25SS, 1 faction)

Master of Malifaux

Saturday, 10:00-5:00, 7 hrs

The final push at the fabric of reality; defeat the Titans of Malifaux to qualify for Sunday's invitational. (Top 9 players advance.) (35SS, 1 faction)

Sunday, 10:00-4:00, 6 hrs

The Avatars have manifest, the battle commences for dominance. Cheat fate, lose your soul… let the knockout begin. (35SS, 4 round knockout)

Some thoughts:

1. Three 25ss events. Looks like I need to practice some crews at that level.
  2. Swing by the Hanging Tree sounds like a story event, but doesn't say it is. We'll have to wait for more details.
  3. The Master of Malifaux event refers to "Titans of Malifaux". Glimpse into the new book perhaps?
  4. Avatar of Malifaux uses a 'knockout' format. Sounds like the name for a single elimination format that's not currently in Gaining Ground.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Also, the Avatar of Malifaux is set for 16 players, but the qualifiers only advance 15. Where is the 16th coming from? Another qualifier from somewhere? Adepticon or the big UK tourney?

My thoughts

1) A lot of 25 stone tournaments. Maybe trying to keep the times frames lower. Still Skeptical about 4 hours for tournaments that large. Sure 25 stone rounds are long by Gaining Ground Standard but you need to figure in time to match pairing and get people assigned to tables. Plus people may need to pee at some point :)

2) I think Titans of Malifaux just refers to the best players

3) Avatar definitely sounds like single elimination. The first question I have(and was asked of me at Adepticon) is how are they going to handle ties.

4) No clue where the 16th player is coming from. We gave the Master of Malifaux a ticket to the Gencon Masters(well the Gamers Lounge did). Maybe one of the designers(sKeTcH or Kel or maybe even Eric) is going to take the last spot for the challenge of it.

I am just going to keep adding stuff as they come to mind here.

Good: No event goes past 7:00pm. This'll leave the evening for open play (if you haven't had enough) and time to relax a little.

Bad: All the events pretty much coincide with when the Dealer Hall is open. There are only 6 hours during the four days that the hall is open and a Malifaux event not in progress. That'll likely be enough, but you'll really have to make an effort to visit the hall and not just wonder in whenever.

So the final is a weirdo gimmick tourney, that doesn't remotely resemble Gaining Ground? That's just absurd.

*EDIT: apparently 'Avatars' is just the description - Big sigh of relief!

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

4) No clue where the 16th player is coming from. We gave the Master of Malifaux a ticket to the Gencon Masters(well the Gamers Lounge did). Maybe one of the designers(sKeTcH or Kel or maybe even Eric) is going to take the last spot for the challenge of it.

If 15 qualify from the events + my ticket via Gamers Lounge, that makes 16, no?

Edited by Guy in Suit

If 15 qualify from the events + my ticket via Gamers Lounge, that makes 16, no?

Yeah but we planned to get you a ticket for the Masters event on Saturday. We were out of the loop on this whole Avatar event. I will email some people and figure up whats up.

I am a little surprised that there isn't more interest in this thread. Is it because Gen Con seems so far away?

Gen Con is only a little over 90 days away. Event registration opens in 10 days and there aren't THAT many open event slots available, considering its an international convention.

Perhaps the event descriptions just speak for themselves and there really isn't anything to discuss.

If it makes you feel any better I have been talking about this thread since it was posted... just hadn't commented... *grins*

I am very excited. This will be my first GenCon and I can't wait to actually meet some of the people from the forum.

HAHAHA, it does! I look forward to seeing you.

Going on an epic mission of 4 hours driving in a day to play your hobby in a large tournament is a heaps better story than sitting at home and missing out ;) that help your decision?

It wouldn't be the first time, and a 2-hour drive is nothing when you do 2 hours or more regularly for work. Then again, if you do 200 miles a day, 5 days a week, doing it again on the weekend loses some of it's sparkle. That being said it's become dangerous to think about Gen Con because then I want to go and play again! I had so much fun last year. I might even see if I can't coax my partner in crime, Fetid Strumpet, to come along as well.

@Molokai 4 player drunken brawl puppet wars is not on the schedule, but I looked for it. And yes, we need to get a game in! I will be bringing my painted set with me, so Drafting with Drafts it is.... now we just need a good place to get draft beer!

On a more serious note, it looks like this year at Gencon will be a flurry of Malifaux events! Things will certainly be exciting!

Some events may go longer than the scheduled end time if there's nothing else going on for those tables.

GenCon charges based on the length of the event. Scheduling short events that may run longer can save participants a bit and still get the same gaming experience.