shuffling/ re-reshuffling

teramaze

Question

Do you mean when you shuffle or do you mean actually how to shuffle?

You shuffle your deck at the end of every round and any time it runs out.

I mean the How i know some people the side shuffle others that flip back in forth from face up to face down.

Edited by teramaze

#$%^!

I've been playing you only shuffle when you run out!

Do you shuffle before or after discarding?

Thanks

the way it should go is, end turn, start turn, shuffle, discard and draw, flip for initiative. =]

at least, that's how we do it here in indiana. lol

the way it should go is, end turn, start turn, shuffle, discard and draw, flip for initiative. =]

at least, that's how we do it here in indiana. lol

Turns out that in Indiana you play it exactly like it's described in the rules manual. Bit surprised to hear there are people doing it differently!

Mike

For those who want a direct RM reference

Page 30 of the Rules Manual

Step 4, sub-item C of the turn sequence is Shuffle Fate deck step.

then Step 1, sub B of the next round you discard and then sub C, you draw up to your max

As for how to shuffle, whatever way gets the cards mixed up. Most methods all work the same but I tend to discourage people from doing the really odd shuffle methods that you sometimes see CCG players do because it takes to long to shuffle that way for each round.

Is there a reason why there is a reshuffle every turn?

Random order being randomized again doesn't make it better in my mind, unless you reshuffle the discard pile as well? now that would be important.

I don't have my RM here...hence the questions.

Edited by Sybaris

Random order being randomized again doesn't make it better in my mind, unless you reshuffle the discard pile as well? now that would be important.

You shuffle everything but what's in your hand. As an example of why it might be important:

There's some ability you really want to go off, and you have the card in your hand to do it, however, a black joker will still ruin your move.

Last turn, said joker was played.

If you don't need to shuffle, you're guaranteed (unless something intervenes) to be able to pull it off.

If you do need to shuffle, there's still a chance you draw the joker again.

Yep, when we say shuffle (at the start of the turn) we mean mix together the discard pile and whatevers left of the deck. Then you discard, then you draw. So you could theoretically draw a card that was discarded last turn.

Get ready though, once you start playing it the proper way you'll ve seeing a lot more jokers! :D

Mike

mix together the discard pile and whatevers left of the deck. Then you discard, then you draw. So you could theoretically draw a card that was discarded last turn.

I'm not sure how this is possible? Shouldn't that mean it's impossible to draw the cards you discarded?

Get ready though, once you start playing it the proper way you'll ve seeing a lot more jokers! :D

It typically takes me about the first 2 turns to run through a deck, then I run out slightly less than once a turn, so I'm not seeing this, since it's possible to not draw a joker before reshuffling. Does this end up being dramatically different, in practice?

Also, I heard from someone I played that you can't dump a black joker from your hand at the end of the turn, is this correct?

I'm not sure how this is possible? Shouldn't that mean it's impossible to draw the cards you discarded?

It typically takes me about the first 2 turns to run through a deck, then I run out slightly less than once a turn, so I'm not seeing this, since it's possible to not draw a joker before reshuffling. Does this end up being dramatically different, in practice?

Also, I heard from someone I played that you can't dump a black joker from your hand at the end of the turn, is this correct?

I believe you are playing incorrectly.

At the end of the turn, you place your discard pile with what remains of the deck and then shuffle them together.

You then discard any cards from your hand you don't want to keep to create a new discard pile, and draw back up to your hand size.

While some people argue that you should keep the Black Joker rather than discard it, there is no rule to prevent you from doing so.

Of course you shuffle the discard pile back in.

Ideally, you've used cards throughout the turn doing things. Reshuffling puts these cards back in the deck and "resets" probability.

At the end of the turn you take the discard pile, the deck and combine them.

Then you shuffle them.

New turn begins.

Then you start a NEW discard pile by discarding cards from your hand that you don't want.

Then you draw back up to the maximum hand size.

Then you flip for initiative.

I bolded the 2 spots that I stress when teaching someone. Shuffle at end of turn and discard / draw at start of turn.

Just to erase any doubts, a cutout from the flattened and downloadable RM (if Wyrd for some reason doesn't want me to use it like this, I'll remove it from my picasa at first notice ofc)

Red circling shows that you shuffle your deck at the end of the turn, and green circling shows you start the new turn by discarding what you don't want from your hand and draw up to your maximum hand size.

discard%2520and%2520draw.jpg