Tier 1+

Hamelin

Tier 1

The Dreamer

Kirai

Tier 2

Pandora, Lilith, Somer, Collette, Sonnia, Collodi, Ophelia

Tier 3

Zoraida, Viktorias, Leveticus, Lady Justice, Hoffman, McMourning, Marcus, Von Schill, Kaeris

Tier 4

Rasputina, Ramos, Perdita

Tier 5

Seamus, Nicodem, Molly, Lucius

Okay, my thoughts -

1. Hamelin on his own is not above LCB on his own, with crews I'd say they're balanced.

2. Zoraida is tier 2

3. Collodi, Sonnia and Ophelia are NOT tier 2

4. Perdita is not tier 4, she's a lot more awesome than people give her credit for (apart from a sucky cache)

5. Molly doesn't even get a tier, she's the kid you let the other team have when picking sides for soccer.

Hmmm... personally, I can't wait to see the new Tier list once Calmdown and Magic Pockets post their "How to break Molly" thread.

Never...ever...going...to...happen

It'd be great if we could have a transatlantic masters. The best of the UK vs the best of the US.

Two problems with this - firstly none of you want to come to the US, secondly "best of the US" when it comes to Malifaux is like being the smartest person with Downs Syndrome.

Find me an example. I pride myself on my grammar, particularly their, they're and there!

:-fate:-fate cool resist flip failed

I don't know, Drake is awesome with Colette (provided you get past turn two with how long he takes) and she's def tier 2 in his hands - she's just dull as f00k to play against

I dunno, once you get used to Collette, it's just, easy to get around. Tbf, Drake is good with Collette, but I'm 'alright' with Marcus so I wouldn't say 1 player should be able to skew it? I've seen Collette played terribly before, and that infamous Cardiff tournament where I played 3 Collette players in a row (Ash, Steve, Jon) and didn't lose any 3 ;)

It's a small nitpick, but Kaeris that far up the list without a Student of Conflict seems meh.

EDIT: Also, the only group I've seen identify themselves as competitive Malifaux players are the northern Virginia group. Competitive Malifaux just hasn't really taken off in the US.

We tracked various games and the events that occurred, such as movement and damage. We aren't using traditional statistics so much as aiming for formulas that predict a models performance based on probability and potential actions. We are creating our own formulas based upon various game balance formulas designers use. Its about half art and half science. Sadly we don't have time to play Malifaux all day every day, so getting actual game data is tough.

Thanks for the reply!

I have been under the impression that to accurately analyze this game one would need to devise a new model, which is exactly what you are doing. Bravo, sir! :)

If it isn't too much trouble, I would love to take a look at the models and data your students have been playing with.

Competitive Malifaux just hasn't really taken off in the US.

Not sure how you can say that given the amount of tournaments going on in the states.

I got 46 people signed up for the Masters of Adepticon, I am sure not all of them are coming from NoVA.

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Well, I did hear a rumor that aSeamus has hurl corpse because of Mergoth, so you know... *wink*

Yeah yeah yeah, but who gave ANicodem Mass Grave?

That's fairly cool... I suppose. Not as classy as exploding corpses but hey - I'm not going to put it down. I'm too nice a guy.

LOL, I'll give ya that throwing corpses is classy and cooler but Mass Grave is far more useful :)

end thread hijack

Not sure how you can say that given the amount of tournaments going on in the states.

I got 46 people signed up for the Masters of Adepticon, I am sure not all of them are coming from NoVA.

With regards to the competitive communities, the NoVA guys are the ones I've heard the most from and are for me the most easily identifiable. I don't profess to speak for the rest of the Joe Shmoe's out there, that's just what I've observed.

As for events, I don't see a consistent number of larger events. We're beginning to see an emergence of a truly competitive atmosphere in the states, and events like the Masters of Adepticon or last year's NOVA Open are where the smaller communities will start coming together and really start challenging each other. America's geography straight just means the process takes a bit longer for us. We're only able to have a couple of events like that each year because it's just not feasible for a large number of players to travel 5-10+ hours more than three or four times a year to a benchmark event (which is what I could consider the two aforementioned events, on par with something like the UK GT). So what I meant to say is we don't have a strong competitive environment yet, but it's developing quickly.

You only get so good playing against your friends, it's when you start interacting with people outside your normal playgroup that skill really starts to grow beyond a certain plateau. At least that's been my experience in this and in other games that I have attempted to improve in.

Edited by CrazyCarl

Two problems with this - firstly none of you want to come to the US, secondly "best of the US" when it comes to Malifaux is like being the smartest person with Downs Syndrome.

Patently untrue. I've said I'll go as long as it's not during the hyper expensive summer months.

Patently untrue. I've said I'll go as long as it's not during the hyper expensive summer months.

The problem is that the hyper expensive summer months is when people take vacations, which is why conventions happen then. But like I said there are some smaller cons that happen earlier in the year. Templecon is there if you like Steampunk and Privateer Press games(Malifaux is starting to have a presence there). Adepticon is mostly a GW con but its got a growing Malifaux presence(mostly because all I do is talk about it all the time on these forums).

Anyways in response to several posts on these forums. You Brits do realize that we are mostly just teasing about kicking your butts and making you cry. We are just talking $$$$$$$$ because trash talking about playing toy soldiers is entertaining to us. Which is pretty sad :)

And if someone gets a fun, easy way to play you online I would totally be down for a game. Even if you trash me so badly I cry myself to sleep that night :)

The problem is that the hyper expensive summer months is when people take vacations, which is why conventions happen then. But like I said there are some smaller cons that happen earlier in the year. Templecon is there if you like Steampunk and Privateer Press games(Malifaux is starting to have a presence there). Adepticon is mostly a GW con but its got a growing Malifaux presence(mostly because all I do is talk about it all the time on these forums).

Anyways in response to several posts on these forums. You Brits do realize that we are mostly just teasing about kicking your butts and making you cry. We are just talking $$$$$$$$ because trash talking about playing toy soldiers is entertaining to us. Which is pretty sad :)

And if someone gets a fun, easy way to play you online I would totally be down for a game. Even if you trash me so badly I cry myself to sleep that night :)

I think that's the idea if the roadtrip thread that Magicpockets started. So a few of us can come over and meet a few of the US gaming groups.

In the mean time you'll have to make do with MythicFox and Leggo at GenCon.

anyways in response to several posts on these forums. You brits do realize that we are mostly just teasing about kicking your butts and making you cry. We are just talking $$$$$$$$ because trash talking about playing toy soldiers is entertaining to us. Which is pretty sad :)

hey! Toy soldiers is srs bzns.

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Ahahahaha, the forum automatically de-capped my all caps post :o)

My latest tourney... Combined Phoenix/Tucson representatives...

8 places divided out like this...

Nicodem took first (this player has been playing in the area since 2008 when I started!)

Then Dreamer after by 1 point, despite all his experience at ruthlessness)l

Third & fourth were both Sonnia... third didn't take Guardian, but took Austringer & 2 Watchers instead!(both were experienced players, but I think our lady in 3rd took it for sheer creativity in crew creation)

5th took Som'er/Ophelia gremlinwave/pigs (an experienced gamer seeking personal victories and trolling opportunities rather than the straight win)

6th took McMourning (an experienced gamer)

7th took Som'er/Ophelia gunline (his first game in months with a loaner crew that wasn't Viks!)

8th took Pandora (in the hands of a relative newbie)

Any idea what these weird results mean? I'm also noting that our resident Collette tactician didn't even show :/

My subjective throw-in. Nicodem is much better than the UK players seem to think, or else they are so much better than us that we can't see how bad he is. Tier 5, seriously? He is one of the few Masters who has a realistic chance against Dreamer.

Why do you think he has a chance against Dreamer?

lol

be careful now... i would hate to see you fall off that pillar you worked so hard to put yourself on. *wink*

How do you have the gall to make that joke after Stateside has been saying they'll flat out beat us ;3

Re:Magicpockets:

I've no problem with going stateside, I used to regularly, but with work in the Emirates, Asia and Europe, it makes it awkward going over there when I'm booked out in those places. Should organise a halloween wyrd tournament that is alternately in US/UK, with ratings taken from both so that it doesn't turn into: Americans only go to the US one because they are dicks about making everyone travel to them =3

If I have a year+ warning, it is easy to organise a trip going around in America, I think that is true of all of us.

I'd be very interested to see why people think Nico is strong against the Dreamer

Oversimplifying it,

1) Chompy can't kill him easily like he can so many other masters

2) If Nicodem survives, the retaliation of his crew can remove a lot of the threats of the Dreamer crew through summoning

3) Rigormortis shuts down a lot of the high threat models in the Dreamer crew

The problem of course is the Nico player has to have a good chance of knowing the opponent is playing Dreamer and build the crew for the fight. The right opening has to be made, but instead of a first/second turn auto loss that some masters have against Dreamer, Nico has a solid chance of staying in the fight and counterattacking.

I'm probably the worst Malifaux player in Atlanta, so you might not want to listen to me.

Edited by ravenborne

Why can LCB not kill him like he can so many other masters? Nico has 3 defence, and without initiative can be bombed like normal; if he has initiative; he would have to produce corpses before his action to get protection in a mindless otherwise gets the +2armor which can be targetted first in base contact; please explain 1) further.

2) Given Dreamer can be back in his deployment in the single activation where chompy attacks; how does the retaliation work?

Equally, 3), how are you getting off Rigor Mortis with a 16" "base" threatrange, without them having the jump?

And the fact that even if you Rigor something it's going to have to be the Dreamer himself to really stop the Chompy Boomerang, because until the teeth are pulled from the opposing crew Chompy is the only tool that has to be used. And even if you can target the Dreamer successfully he has a higher SS cache than you and a higher WP than your Cast.

Doesn't mean it can't be done, but does make it unlikely.