How to Beat the Dreamer: An Anti-Tactica

Calmdown

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really good tactica, the first time I played chompy his speed and power took me off guard, and it definetely gives a negative psychological effect. A couple of questions though, my rising powers says teeth has cb6, not 7 (it's second printing, if that makes a difference) and the 'all done' trigger states 'after damaging defender, bury this model'. So surely you can't miss with an attack and still trigger, as you wouldn't have damaged the defender??

Definetely gonna have this tactic saved ready to look through whenever I play dreamer!!

Really good tactica, the first time I played chompy his speed and power took me off guard, and it definetely gives a negative psychological effect. A couple of questions though, my rising powers says teeth has cb6, not 7 (it's second printing, if that makes a difference) and the 'all done' trigger states 'after damaging defender, bury this model'. So surely you can't miss with an attack and still trigger, as you wouldn't have damaged the defender??

Where does it say that, and which version of the card do you have assuming its a card? I only have Rising Powers on me, which doesn't say that. Possible it does say it on the card though.

Ive only got Rising powers on me, but like i said, its second printing, so should be the most current rules. Don't have a card, the only card I could get to is in my sealed nightmare dreamer box, which is where its staying! If anyone else can jump in and confirm, but double check you have second printing (says which printing it is on the inside front cover near the bottom).

AFAIK there are no V2 cards for Rising Powers?

Not AFAIK either, but the ruling I have should be the most current.

My Rising Powers says "after damaging defender" (on the All Done trigger), but my Chompy card doesn't. IIRC, the cards are the ones that have the correct wording.

I would agree with this if there had only been one printing of Rising Powers, or there was a V2 of the Rising Powers models. But as there doesnt seem to be, I will be going by my book. Just to help clarify, what date does the first printing have? The second printing is October 2010.

I would agree with this if there had only been one printing of Rising Powers, or there was a V2 of the Rising Powers models. But as there doesnt seem to be, I will be going by my book. Just to help clarify, what date does the first printing have? The second printing is October 2010.

However, the rules clarifications on Malifaux.com do not state that there was any errata on All Done except for:

ERRATA: - 'All Done' The Dreamer should be Placed in base contact with the buried Lord Chompy Bits before it is removed from the table.
And this was 29 Nov '11.

Definitely need someone high up to step in and clarify this. The only thing I find strange is that the 'After damaging defender..' line has had to purposefully be put in to the second printing. Doesn't seem like a mistake to put something like that in. My only thinking is that it was supposed to be in the original version, but was overlooked in the rules and cards, and was rectified after. Im so confused now!!!

I want it to be known that if this is correct, I single handedly took down the Dreamer!! :) Along with the help of the updated rules....

Another point that I would want to raise (if it turns out you do have to damage the defender) is would doing a damage prevention flip on a SS user and getting high enough to cancel all damage also stop the trigger? Obviously this only applies if the damaging defender part is true, but Id just be curious.

Not really the only thing it might prevent would be LCB on master sniping to a degree. Any regular non ss using minion would still get sniped quite easily due to you boosting card flips with ss and defender not having it.

Edit: and I must note I really dislike how they changed the forum know my avatar looks crappy and I miss the jason looking chainsaw guy :-(.

Edited by Odin1981

Not really the only thing it might prevent would be LCB on master sniping to a degree. Any regular non ss using minion would still get sniped quite easily due to you boosting card flips with ss and defender not having it.

Edit: and I must note I really dislike how they changed the forum know my avatar looks crappy and I miss the jason looking chainsaw guy :-(.

It will force more cheating to get a high enough tomb and will burn through his ss more quickly. I'd be happy with LCB second guessing whether sniping Nix is worth it :)

It will force more cheating to get a high enough tomb and will burn through his ss more quickly. I'd be happy with LCB second guessing whether sniping Nix is worth it :)

Wyld just cement Hamelin even farther as most broken master, really.

Roll on Malifaux version next :)

I'm off to Mexico for two weeks, so it may be a while before I post the rest of this article.

The slingshot version I've used has the third day dream buried with LCB.

I then use the 'Frightening Dream' with mask to bring out LCB and a day dream.

When LCB activates he companions the unburied day dream that then buries him when he's finished activating.

It can leave the day dream exposed but I normally drop off a few other 'friends' to give my opponent multiple threats to consider.

Taking the bait - he's not that broken, it's his crew, how that synergises, and his abilities which buff his crew that are the real issue (that's my view).

I'm just starting Hamelin, and a friend is starting the Dreamer. So far he's been kicking my ass all over the shop - Terrifying makes the Rat packs fall apart, Nix tends to get sniped, and Hamelin eventually dies to an endless series of Gamble Your Life, supported by unwinnable Initiative flips from Insidious Madnesses. He also very quickly learned to avoid cheating when I had good discards, so that the last game had me with a hand full of 5's and lower for the last three turns.

I'm confident that I'll be able to figure out something eventually (the Soulstone Factory seems like an interesting idea, though it leaves you very short on objective-grabbing) but for now, the Dreamer seems so much more straightforward: zip across the board, murder the hell out of something, retreat far beyond any possible reprisal. Killing the Daydreams seems key, but I haven't found a reliable way to do that at such long range yet.

(Admittedly, I'm refraining from infinite-activation Rat shenanigans, because it sort of ruins the game. It could make things easier, though.)

Taking the bait - he's not that broken, it's his crew, how that synergises, and his abilities which buff his crew that are the real issue (that's my view).

Trying not to derail, but agree to an extent. Same for Dreamer (and most Neverborn issues) - take out twins and stitched and they're a lot less of an issue.

Ps It's 6.40am and its 30 degrees in Mexico