About to get nicodem starter

Malandres

I agree with rancor. For all the great models Nicodem can summon, I'd still have to say that Mindless Zombies have the most synergy with him and he needs the most (esp. aNicodem).

That being said, there are definitely a lot of things Nicodem really really wants and will probably have a hard time competing until he gets them.

Mindless zombies are compulsory, sort yourself out with some of them first. After that........ Nico makes all undead amazing so the sky's (well, catalogue's) the limit! Killjoy is hysterical but I've had it go horribly wrong before. Nico works well with a horde, I'd suggest necropunks for sure (after they're done grabbing objectives, just recycle them into punk zombies) as Nico crews tend to be slow.

I'd hold off on Jack just now and sort yourself out with zombies, necropunks, flesh constructs and a totem (I like vultures for their corpse grabbing but a grave spirit + bolster undead turns a flesh construct/punk zombie/killjoy into an absolute beast)

Nurses are also good. Couple their spell with bolster undead and you can turn anything into a mincing machine for a round, I've killed steamborgs with a nursed/bolstered necropunk before! Also they can give Nico a bit more protection, which he needs.

You can summon both, but RN takes 4 counters vs the FC's 2. When starting out Nico, you want to be economical with your corpse counters. Once you've learnt all the little tips & tricks you can start getting the big toys like the RN.

Anyway, I play Nico and I love me the Belles and Crooked Mens. As the guys above mentioned, all the non-Spirit Undead are good for Nico, but anything that gets him moving faster and lets him do Dg from far away is useful.

Before Jack Daw, Killjoy and RN I would get Necropunks, Rotten Belles, Crooked Men and Flesh Constructs, and Canine Remains. Start with the smaller stuff and turn it into bigger stuff. You can summon multiple flesh constructs in a single turn and that can often be much better than a RN.

Big expensive models with Nicodem are fun but kind of less effective, In my opinion.

I think it's less a case of "bring out yer Dead" than it is learning what a crew with "basic" Minions can do when led by this Master. After all, it's pretty much just Viks, Perdita & Ophelia that lead a crew of high-power Uniques, everyone else uses 2-7 SS unrestricted Minions. So finding out what your Master is capable of with said Minions can give you an idea of what larger models you'll need for your play style.

For example, I love me some Killjoy, as well as the above mentioned Belles. I wouldn't have learnt all of this without trying out the dog horde, the zombie horde, and all those other permutations. Using them taught me that I needed a retaliation piece with high power, and some way to move both my crew and my opponents to where said strike could do most damage. I could have gone with Bete Noire, but I'm still figuring her out.

On the subject of range... I'm in the minority here for some reason, but take a Vulture. You'll never use it to cast spells, but having one roam with Eyes & Ears and the other one picking up Corpses (if you're lucky enough to play against a crew that drops 'em) has saved my bacon many a time. They're utility pieces designed for Nico.