Core puppet choices for each master?

Rathnard

So I have a very random question that I'm hoping will encourage some interesting discussion...

If you had to pick a core of 5-6 puppet sidekicks/pawns that would work best for each puppet Master currently available (ie. these would be your first picks in any given game), what would you take?

I've just bought my first lot of puppets (not the box, just some pawns) and being so new to this particular game, I thought it'd be good to have a starting point. :smugpuppet1

A lot of the time we play with random toyboxes but there are some good combos.

Marcus can really use the Ice Cubes off the December Acolyte, also tomes is very suit dependant so having the Acolyte to cycle cards is really useful. I love Moles, if used right they can protect a Workbench without blocking models coming out of it.

Seamus works well with Belles, really well. Due to the ability to discard cards to reactivate without a rip they are very good 1st turn to grab Workbenches. Nurses are also excelent for removing exhausted and decay counters, I feel they have much better utility than Chihuahua's.

Pandora I run a lot with out of suit models, I think Bad Juju has great synergy with a lot of the Mask models. Sorrows always do far more than I expect them to do, they are far more robust than you would expect from a 4 activation model. Partly because people don't want to kill them and get Cooties. Kade is just vicious in the current meta there are not many things that can remove counters so a Stuck counter can take models out of the game.

Lady J take a little bit to get going, I recommend Death Marshal just for the gun, this allows her to last shot the opponents models and start collecting the counters she needs. I also love Nino, one of the longest ranges in the game and can put out a lot of damage.

Viktoria can use Ronin and Misaki really well, she needs to do damage but also have a way to get out of the way of reprisals, having a couple of Mercenaries allows you to do some nice tricks. Convict Gunslingers can also be amazingly useful, Roulette means they can afford to let any essential models get near them

There are also a few great models that work across the board. Nurses can remove counters, so if you know your going to be facing Kade then she is a good bet. The Guild Hounds scrap is amazingly useful if you put it onto a good ranged or melee model allowing you to make fast attacks. Witchling Stalkers can heal rips. Punk Zombies are very good a dealing with powerful models. Ice Golem is amazingly good for getting rid of high defence models.

Edited by Ratty

That's kind of a tough question.

For example, I've been playing Seamus a lot recently. I've generally been taking:

Seamus

Misaki

Bete

2 x Punk Zombie

1 x Razorspine Rattler

1 x Silurid

2 x Belles

I do a lot of trickery with the upgrades. Leaping around and grabbing workbenches quick, using Seamus's ability to boost the defense of my puppets I push far forward.

But if a beginner asked me what the core for Seamus was, I would say:

Seamus

Bete

Sebastian

2 x belles

2 x punk zombies

1 x nurse

1 x chihuahua

Hmm, good stuff! So from what I can gather from this thread and others plus some guessing), decent core choices for each Master would be;

Marcus

Joss

December Acolyte

Moleman

Guild Hound

Silurid

Seamus

Bete Noir

2x Rotten Belles

Nurse

Punk Zombie

Lady Justice

Judge (or Nino???)

Death Marshall

Executioner

Austringer

Witchling Stalker

Pandora

Kade

Sorrow

Bad Juju

Cherub

Silurid

Pokey Vik

Misaki

2x Ronin

Convict Gunslinger

??? (not sure)

Thoughts?

Yeah, that works.

I would say that the razorspine rattler is a very core choice for Marcus. Its ability syncs really well with Marcus's rip moving ability and it's a tome beast. Also juju is a good choice because he's a good place to dump wounds.

Pandora probably wants more than one sorrow. I would say 3 if you can get them. (most only can get two)

What you have for Viktoria is good. Any of the other suitless puppets works, really. Bayou gremlin is fine, although they work best taken in number.

Yeah, that works.

I would say that the razorspine rattler is a very core choice for Marcus. Its ability syncs really well with Marcus's rip moving ability and it's a tome beast. Also juju is a good choice because he's a good place to dump wounds.

Yeah it's also a great upgrade for Joss, Coils gives him multitasker if he has a rip... Powerful+1, can attack and use Sparkling Axes in the same activation, once he has taken a Rip makes him really deadly if you can keep him alive.

Saying that I never find them that essential to Marcus, they are just great utility models in general.

Like the lists. I also like a razorspine with Marcus and may take an extra moleman to put the upgrade on joss. Really enjoy doing sparkling axes without line of sight. Add the coils into the mix and he can still do a normal attack as well, making him a beast.

Played a pandora team yesterday that I really liked. Used everything in your list, but added a austringer and a guild hound. Used the guild hounds upgrade on the austringer, and the doscarded my animation card several turba in a row to use the austringer to make a free attack. That mixed with kade passing out stuck counters and a sorrow (sadly I only have one) made for a really fun team to play.

• 2 months later...

quick question- bite the hand attacks your enemy right? Not yourself? It is range: self and says to make an attack. I'm pretty sure you attack an enemy...just the name makes it sound like you attack yourself. Bite the hand...that feeds you.

Anyways, has anyone tried piglet, hog whisperer, and sebastion? kinda fun

Bite the Hand does attack the enemy. I think it says self because it gives the Guild Hound the extra attack not anyone else. It also means that if you attach the upgrade to a puppet with a range 2 attack (Death Marshal) then when they use Bite the Hand the attack will be made at range 2.

Edited by ThePandaDirector