Malifaux Tier/Balance Discussion

thaehl

Masters people sometimes call OP: Dreamer, Hamlin, Pandora, Kirai, Collette

Masters that are concidered good: Sonnia, Lady J, Perdita, Hoffman, Mcmourning, Seamus, Lilith, Zoraida, Vickies

Masters some consider lack luster: Nicodem, Marcus, Ramos, Rasputina, Leveticus, Som'er,

and even this is not true :) tiering is hard,,

I have Ramos, Nicodem and Rasputina, and in my gaming community they say I'm that guy with all his OP crews.

my girlfriend has lilith, pandora and dreamer, and she wins 50/50.

to make a tier list that is okay isn't possible, if you want a tiering list

Tier 1: OP lists: Dreamer, Hamlin, Kirai, Collette (Pandora)

Tier 2: no OP list: everybody else :D

I blieve why Tina is normally placed low is due to her lack of speed. Yes, there are things like Snowstorm to speed her up but thats 11 points of investment. In a tournament setting, it is far too easy just to go Holdout against her.

And I laugh a bit to myself whenever people put Somer anywhere above the very bottom. The card draw is nice but you're guys to do it. And its not like they're that easy to summon either. I'd rather have the guy alive still. And then theres having one less card than everyone else. Not so bad in Brawls, but it stings having a hand of five in scraps. This wouldn't be so bad if anything in the crew wasn't fighting for high cards to do absolutely everything.

As much as I love the big guy, I think it says something wear Ophelia has to babysit him in literally every single game.

I blieve why Tina is normally placed low is due to her lack of speed. Yes, there are things like Snowstorm to speed her up but thats 11 points of investment. In a tournament setting, it is far too easy just to go Holdout against her.

That is certainly true. Maybe if they toned down the stacking damage, but gave her more mobility....

Still, that is the way of most death stars: deadly, but rather slow. There really aren't any other tricks she plays. She does play it rather well, however.

As a side note... poor Marcus, he needs some love.

Marcus being considered underpowered has always seemed odd to me. It is very true that he's not a beatstick particularly, but his first ability(beast master) is one of the most mind-bendingly powerful abilities in the game it's hard for me to see him as being weak. Also if you pull off a square alpha against something relevant(tough but doable) you basically win...

I will say that with him more so than any other caster I know of, what you bring to the table is one of the most, if not THE most important thing which is weird(and honestly not that great...)

I agree with rasputina in tier 4. I mean, she functions a lot like SOnnia except that aside from snow storm, the rest of her crew are all sleepers. They just kinda walk forward and hope to punch things. Their shooting is weak as is their secondary abilities.

With Sonnia there is a lot more versatility to what her crew can do without her. Rasputina lacks a Sam Hopkins and Witchling Stalkers.

Quiet interessting thread which shows how new this system is and obviously how different this game is played...

Some observations from my point:

Marcus: Well, he isn't a top master that's for sure. But in my opinion he is quiet playable since book 2...

Soomer Teeth: Same here. Well played with 4 Skeeters and a pigapult he can be quiet dangerous for many crews... Being able to outactivate everyone thanks to larva, taking the oponents hand cards away and then being able to shoot with the pigapult while the oponent cannot cheat anymore isn`t THAT bad...

On the other hand I am quiet surprised on the opinions about Leveticus. Maybe we play him wrong, but he would be my first nomination for tier 1...

So my list would be more like this:

Tier 1: Leveticus, The Dreamer, Hamelin

Tier 2: Colette, Kirai, Hoffman, Pandora

Tier 3: Mc'Mourning, Zoraida, Perdita, Lilith

Tier 4: The Victorias, Nicodem, Seamus, Ramos, Lady Justice, Sonia Criid, Rasputina , Som'er Teeth Jones, Marcus

Tier 3 and 4 are quiet balanced but I have the feeling those Masters in Tier 3 are an egde better than those in Tier 4. Tier 2 Master are very good. But the other masters have still chances if you hit the right strategies...

Tier 1 Master are no fun to play against. Even with the right strategies its more likely you play for a draw than beating those three...