Newbie: need some advice with cult of december

MK the Unknown

Hallo every one i got the starter box of cult of december and wanted to upgrade my party to 35p.

i got a silent one and order a wendigo as a totem.

I am planning to get a snow storm as well.

And i wane know if a soulshard diger is also nice to have and how much point it cost and whate does it do also have no clue whate a totem stand for just readed some where you needed one and wendigo was the one for Rasputina.

I am planning to make my team off:

Silent one 2x 12p (it looks so much better then a golem so i think its better to have this twice then have a golem in spare me the 2 points for totem.

Wendigo 1x 2p

Ice gamin 2x 8p

Snow storm 1x 11

total point spent is 33 so i got like 2 or 6 soulstone left with it.

Leader is rasputina.

I am realy new to this i only played one practise match that it. I like to keep it bit on snow thema. So anny advice how to improve my team and wich one to take out to replace with one. Also can some one explain me in short whate the totems do and if a soulshard digger is usefull for this team since i cant make anny Soulshard with Rasputina.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

to start, totems are minions that are connected to your master, every master has their own special totem, that no one else can use, but every faction has 1 or 2 that every master of that faction can use.

some changes, wendigo is a solid totem, but most of us prefer the essence of power, since it gives rasputina a :+fate on the damage with her spells (really important)

other changes,, nope :)

2 silent ones are good, they are the kind of models who are more than 1+1=2. very good for rasputina her ice mirror AND buffing the range, also great for healing your models, gamins works as +1 dg buffer and objective grabbers together with snow storm,

snow storm, heavy beatstick, add a lot of movement to your crew and has some funny abilities :)

That's not a bad crew at all, the big change is from Wendigo to Essence of Power as Sephiroa says. Essence of Power is just amazing with Rasputina for getting those big damage flips and blowing everything up, as well as throwing around Ice Pillars and stuff for you.

A lot of people don't run two Silent Ones and say that one is enough, I strongly disagree and you should definitely stay on that track.

The only slightly dodgy thing I'd say is the two Gamin. One Gamin is kind of OK for his +1 damage, two is a bit over the top as you are starting to limit yourself on effective combat/objective grabber models. If you can, switch it to a 2ss model so that Rasputina has a full 8 soulstones. I really recommend Desperate Mercenaries for Rasputina, she has so few cheap combat models to choose from and they are excellent.

+1 on the Essence of Power. I find Snowstorm + 2x Gamin and Rasputina + 2x Silent Ones makes for two "units" that fill two different roles. You can zip around the table with Snowstorm and the Gamin to grab objectives or intercept models trying to engage Rasputina, and blast away with your Rasputina/Silent One fire base.

Getting your Gamin into melee and then casting into melee isn't that much of a headache either, there has been many times I've blown up my own Gamin to get their shatter damage to finish off enemy models.

Oke thanks for the advice. My new team looks like this for now:

Rasputina 6ss to use

Essence of power 1x 2ss

ice gamin 2x 8ss

silent one 2x 12ss

Snow storm 1x 11ss

If i use the Link ability of EoP do i keep it for the rest of the game, since every time i move my Rasputina it will move with me right.

And if i flip 3 card and got 2 tome one mask can i use both the abbility surge and overpower or do i need to choice off it. And if i did get overpower and starting with my next skill and i get overpower again do i need to cast again or does this one not count?

Also i still didnt get much info if soulstone miner is usefull for my team or not.

Thanks in advance for the advice :).

P.S.:

I found one of my anwser so i already took it out.

Edited by MK the Unknown

Firstly,

The essence of power gives :+fate to your damage flips. The triggers are all based off your casting flip.

You can only activate 1 trigger each action.

If you have flipped two cards then you pick which one of the two to use, the value and suit of the second card is not used.

If you cast and triggered overpower, then you can trigger overpower again the next time it casts. And the next time.

Link remains until the models are not in base contact at the end of a turn, so yes it can last the whole game.

The soulstone miner will be useful sometimes for you. It depends a lot on what you try and do with it, what your Stratergy and schemes are, and who you are facing. This isn't a game where you will want to just use the 1 list to do everything.

Its not worth using just to mine soulstone all game, but it certainly has its uses as a melee creature, or for its movement.

Oke thanks for the advice. I check the rule again and notice i played wrong on the demo with a friend. When we did the + effect we kept the card and didnt choice the high one :S. I recheckt the rulles now and it seems your right with extra card from - you choice the lowest one and with + the highst one only different is the jokers you always choice black if it shows up even with red other wise always red when it shows up, and you can flip max of 3 cards. THis also true for extra card with soulstone right?

Oke since i never played anny real game yet i will wait with the soulstone miner and see if i can use it to kill mellee mobs and get soulstone out off it. The new release looks great so my other questen is does kaeris 8ss make a good henchman on her own for rasputina.

Also got some questen about ice pillar how long does those ice pillar stay. IF i follow the casting rull like the buff the go away after the end turn the where cast or dont the count as buff and stay longer?

Thanks in advance for the advice. I am getting clear vieuw on my team now :)

I can't answer about Kaeris, but from what I've heard she'd work better with Colette, or leading a crew in her own right.

As for Ice Pillars, I believe they stay until someone destroys them.

i can answer that, since i tried it already :)

kaeris is very good at leading her own crew, and is a solid henchman together with ramos, and ok with raspy, since they both need their soulstones to burn, you could run out of soulstones very fast.

kaeris and rasputina are what we already called the fire and ice team, and I still have to test it, but it seems like a solid list to use, and don't forget, if you have kaeris in your crew, you can hire the wendigo for raspy and the essence for kaeris and the essence can link to raspy and can switch to kaeris mid game or so :)

but if you really want to use them, just use them together :)

ice pillars stay on the board :)

edit: link to fire and ice crew here

Edited by sephiroa
link

Oke thanks for the advice. Nice to know that the pillar stay there till it get destroyed :). Also thanks for the info about max 4 card that might help when i need to go extreme to get the right card.

Yeah i think i will get kaeris when her starter is out to mix it with Rasputina that info about fire and ice sounds realy nice.

Thanks again every one for your advice, i got a decent idea how to make my team and play it now :).

Its also worth clarifying that if you spend a soulstone to flip an extra card, That card does not replace the one you already flipped, it adds on to it.

And if you are on a :+fate flip you get to choose the card, it doesn't have to be the highest.

For example if Rasputin flips a 10 of tomes and a 9 Masks to cast, you can choose to use the 9 to allow the overpower trigger.

Also The Black Joker always has to be chosen, and you can choose to use the red joker even on a :-fate flip. There are a few times when you might want something to fail, so you don't use the red joker.

Hope thats clear

Edited by Adran

Another newbie, planning to start Raspy to do demo games with my McMourning crew, mostly because I like the model/fluff. Now, I'm aiming at 25 SS, and that seems to really limit your options.

So, reading what people are saying in this thread and in the others of it's kind, Raspy likes to sit back, and bombard things with her spells. So, Essence of Power (2SS) seems like a good starting point. Silent One's look really nice, and have a lot of synergy with Raspy, so one of them, please (6SS). Ice gamin... seem to give a nice boost to the casters, so one of them could join the crew as well (4SS). The bugger can also serve last line of defence for Raspy? Unfortunately, you have to move around in this game, and Cult of December seems to be bad with that. So, enter Snow-Sabertooth-Ceberus, who can at least move (8 SS).

And that leaves me with 5SS to be used. Another gamin? Or drop the totem and go for Acolyte (utility) or second Silent one. I don't need a one list to kill them all, just fun, and playable crew to take on mcMourning.

Honestly, if it is for demo games, I wouls suggest starter box vs. starter box. They are balanced to play against each other and it gives the person you are demoing to a feel for the first set of models they are likely to buy.

If you are insistent on using a non-starter box list, drop the EoP, Malifaux is a game that can get bogged down in mechanices as it is when you are first learning it, adding yet another (i.e. totems) is just complicating the matter. Also, I would go with the second Silent One for the same reason, one less model to try to keep track of their stats and triggers when you are seeing the game for the first time.

Honestly, if it is for demo games, I wouls suggest starter box vs. starter box. They are balanced to play against each other and it gives the person you are demoing to a feel for the first set of models they are likely to buy.

If you are insistent on using a non-starter box list, drop the EoP, Malifaux is a game that can get bogged down in mechanices as it is when you are first learning it, adding yet another (i.e. totems) is just complicating the matter. Also, I would go with the second Silent One for the same reason, one less model to try to keep track of their stats and triggers when you are seeing the game for the first time.

Thanks, will have to find another Silent One then... The problem with the 'boxes' match-up is htat McMourning box has two nurses, which... suck. Ergo, being insistent on using two ~25SS lists.

Oke got two new questen first one if i use soulstone to flip extra card and i get tome of mask and tome of book can i use both ability or do i need to choice between overpower and surge.

Second one is if i play againt Colette and i get overpower one her and she dies. But she use her skill to use soulstone to res again do i use the spell again or its end of the chain. We had this battle against my friend i did get overpower but since she get from zero dmg to 2 dmg i wonder about it. In our game we didnt use overpower again since overpower said instancely cast again and i didnt see the wording of Colette skill.

Thanks in advance

Edit:

Another questen if i got a totem or charicter with Graverobber all living and undead models gives corpse counter when the die right? Also is this the only way to get them beside the skill that say when you kill a model make a corpse counter.

Edited by MK the Unknown

I'm still a bit new to the game too, but my understanding is this:

Rasputina casts December's Curse - Triggering Overpower - Colette fails to resist - Damage Kills her - Slow to Die kicks in - she spends the 1 AP for a heal flip - Overpower now gets to resolve (all of the preceding happened when resolving the original spell) - Rasputina re-casts December's Curse... potentially starting a chain that ends only if:

(1) Rasputina doesn't get her Mask for overpower (or fails to cast the new December's Curse).

(2) Colette resists.

(3) Colette runs out of soulstones and dies for real.

(4) Colette successfully casts Disappearing Act with her slow to die and gets out of range.

I am assuming the spell was December's Curse since it seems like the only Raspy spell that can kill.

Edited by Kabosan

A few quick answers.

You can only activate one trigger on each action. If you have the suits for multiple triggers, then you have to pick which 1 you activate (or none)

you cast Decembers curse and trigger overpower

Colette fails to resist.

You flip for damage.

Damage is dealt to Colette

Damage kills Colette triggering slow to die

Colette gets to make a (1) action.

She heals

Your overpower resolves, you can cast the spell at the same target. If at somepoint during that Colette moved position (Death defying or a blindign flash) you will still cast the spell at her, but you will have to check for range and cover again (technically you have to anyway, its just if neither model has moved nothing will have changed). If she is out of range, you fail, and if she is in cover, because you are casting a :ranged spell you would flip 2 cards and pick the worst.

using slow to die does not reduce the number of action points Colette would generate during her activation. It will allow her to perform a 1 action every time she is killed.

Corpse counters are only generated if there is a grave robber on the field. (I think everyone with an ability that creates them from a source otehr than killing someone is already a grave robber). They are generated by the death of a living or undead model (the number created depends on the size).

hope that answers your questions

phil

Thanks that did answer few questen.

So if Colette got 4 soulshard she can use her ability 4 times in the same turn.

Oke i got the skill with pistol need to recheck every time you cast how about the Bitting chill skill that one doesnt got the pistol icon in it. I asume it works the same but just wane be sure about it. Only wane know the cover and range part for this one since you cant kill model with this skill.