The Tale of Malifaux Painters September and October WIPs

DAGabriel

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my painted models for September.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa352/liamjamescoupland/Malifaux%20Guild/DSC_0146.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa352/liamjamescoupland/Malifaux%20Guild/DSC_0143.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa352/liamjamescoupland/Malifaux%20Guild/DSC_0145.jpg

For october i will be doing as many models as possible that are left in this wip shot that I didnt do this month, probably the rest of the Dead Justice set as a priority. Then the rest of my Hoffman element, Guild Hounds, then the Guild Avatars (Sonnia and LJ) I will pick up around november.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa352/liamjamescoupland/Malifaux%20Guild/septoctwip.jpg

First off...............I hate my camera (all highlights gone, colors look crazy)............and my lighting.

I think I know what I did wrong here so this upcoming month's minis should look better for the photo shoot.

This is my Cult of December with a Judge model converted as a Female Desperate Mercenary. If you are going to hang around Rasputina, you BETTER DRESS WARM. So I thought a model in clothing for colder conditions would be more appropriate. Also I always felt that the Judge model looked like a female, so as I was painting HER that is what I envisioned.

I also use the Snow model as a Silent One. Since in the fluff she is a Silent One, and personally I think that both Snow and Storm on the same base is too much.

IMG_9301.jpg

IMG_9188.jpg

IMG_9197.jpg

IMG_9207.jpg

Here my Desperate Merc is almost blown back away from all the sleet,wind, and snow from the Cult of December. If you look at her sword scabard each jewel painted represents the different factions she will "work" for.

IMG_9202.jpg

Snow used as a Silent One.

IMG_9208.jpg

IMG_9223.jpg

IMG_9227.jpg

IMG_9229.jpg

IMG_9232.jpg

IMG_9237.jpg

IMG_9241.jpg

IMG_9252.jpg

IMG_9259.jpg

IMG_9260.jpg

IMG_9268.jpg

IMG_9270.jpg

IMG_9271.jpg

IMG_9285.jpg

Next on the painting block is Alternate Sculpt Zoraida, Avatar Zoraida, Collodi, marionettes, wicked dolls, and Convict Gunslinger.

Edited by CubertFarnsworth

Malifaux-MobileEyebot.jpg

Malifaux-BrassArachnid.jpg

Malifaux-Swarm3.jpg

Malifaux-Drew.jpg

Malifaux-Alyce.jpg

Whew, barely under the wire. Weather's been terrible and I've been getting home late, so I've been having lots of trouble getting a decent chance to take some pictures.

Next time I should probably resize them a little smaller. Oh well, next time.

On future notes, I realized this month, that I don't actually have a plan for what I get done this Tale. IIRC the idea is to have a goal for the whole six months, not just individual monthly goals. Mine is now officially: Finish my Arcanists.

Right, that leaves me with:

2 Large spiders

A Colette box (6 minis)

Two Coryphees, Three Doves, and an Essence of Power.

I plan on adding during this timeframe:

a Kaeris box (6 minis)

Mechanical Rider.

That's a total of 21 minis, and four months to do them in, so:

In October, I plan to finish:

• Two large spiders
  • Two performers
  • Two mannequins

Oh yes, time for comments!

@ aka hazard: I like those guild uniforms, good work even if the pics are a little bit…

@ Geckilan: I stand awed! 30 minis??? And they look sweet even if they could use a little more light.

@ Regnak: Seamus seems to be fun. Nice work.

@ nightseer: love that style, one of my favorites this month.

@ Rathnard:The guard is impressive, I think the Captain is ok, it is one of the … not so good models (?) … by wyrd. Those guns and roses (and swords) are cool.

@ Stonedog-7: Yeah, flash is baaaaad. But they seem to be good, show us better pics!

@ Steamhammer: The red tones are really good, but excuse me, it is another model I do not really like. The tots and the mature ones are great, but the young ones are necessary but mehh.

@ Rorik36: The dreamer is nice, but the Marcus seems to be missing contrast, do not know if it is the pic or the painting.

@ fishtank: polar night in Sweden? Those pics are so dark. The Guardian is stylish, alt LadyJ is on my list, the Judge not my favourite and the Gremlins … can`t say with those pics.

@ SliderdF: Nice start.

@ Cambrius: I like the Austringer models, but the standing one is really hard to paint. The feathers of the second raptor are far better than the first.

@ WookieeGunner: The icy touch seems fine, the rest is hard to say.

@ Bucket Monkey: Productive, the color scheme is fine but seems to fit those robos best. The are standing out of the lot. The NE Lady J perhaps needs a more bloody touch?

@ Korrosion: Tell me about it, I hate to paint human faces, especially eyes.

@ CubertFarnsworth: Like that alt Raspy and Storm is beautiful even if you are right, that lighting sucks!

@ CRC: Dito, I like that basing, Miss Packs face is well done, the robos are technically good, would have like much more weathering (look at Scribes).

@ Rotokultaxe: Verrrry nice, wish I could do him as well. Theoretically I would have liked a little bit more highlighting on the darker areas, they seem to be missing a little contrast, but that is criticizing on a high niveau.

@ Scribe: Love it! Very nice glow effect

Hey everyone! Believe it or not I'm still alive. I got crushed by real life after Gen Con, and have slowly been pulling myself from underneath the rubble ever since. So here's my Sept work coming in a touch late.....Sorry!

39vXt.jpg

TDPCS.jpg

This was the only good image I got of the Wendigo

P7DTZ.jpg

More to come next month! I'll try and get some WIP's up this month as well!

@ Steamhammer: The red tones are really good, but excuse me, it is another model I do not really like. The tots and the mature ones are great, but the young ones are necessary but mehh.

I completely agree. I don't like the look of the young nephs and the pose on that one in particular is just stupid. If I ever needed more I'd probably look around other miniatures for alternatives.

But most importantly they are now both out of the way and I can move onto better models like Lilith and the Mature Nephilim which I've finally made a base for and given a lamp post:

th_assembled1.jpg

@Mydnight: I like your snow bases. Can you explain how you made them please?

Well, if you're asking how I sculpted them it took a careful and long drawn out process explained fully on this page...

http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/bases/microartstudio-bases/winter-shale-bases-premium-round-30mm-5-1.html

If you're asking how I painted them then that's much simpler ^_^

For the exposed rock I used Vallejo Cold Grey (72050) as a base, followed up with a drybrush mixture of Cold Grey & a little bit (I think) of Stonewall Grey (72049), then just a light dusting of Stonewall Grey with a hint of Cold Grey.

For the snow I started with a base of Ghost Grey (72046) with a few drops of Dead White (72001) and a drop of Electric Blue (72023), thinned a bit using the glaze medium (70.596). The snow looked like a very white blue. After that I added in more Dead White and used that to do some highlights, mainly covering up most of the blue on the raised areas (snow, when shadowed, has a blueish tinge). I topped it off with a very light drybrush of Dead White, specifically because I wanted the raised areas to have a grainier texture.

For those of you who don't use Vallejo paints, here's a (rough) conversion guide

Cold Grey ~ A medium-dark grey

Stonewall Grey ~ A brighter version of Cold Grey with a cream tinge to it

Ghost Grey ~ A light grey, almost white, with subtle hints of sky blue

Dead White ~ Just plain old white

Electric Blue ~ A brilliant sky blue

Second model. I really should start building up more momentum and paint several in a day if I'm to hit the 31 model quota for this month...

This time, Nino.

Nino1.jpg

Nino2.jpg

I also acquired a Lilith crew, elements of a Rasputina crew and a bunch of gap filling models, so my count of models to paint has increased somewhat... No rest eh?

@ Mydnight: love that first one. Very stylish even if the shadows on the coat could need some more love.

Heh, the picture actually makes it look a lot better than what it is ^^' Yea, they could definitely use some love, but I've always had a hard time going back to a model that I've "finished," and while I'm trying to develop new habits, the December Acolyte is one of the first ones I painted post-burnout following Gen Con (the months before were a painting binge that bordered on unhealthy), so I'm content to leave it be where is. I have another Acolyte waiting in the wings so I'll see if I can't do better on the second swing :-)