lady j crew

bossmann321

hi have been playing malifaux for a short time now and lady j is my crew, which at presant stands

lady j, judge, 3 death marshals,scales, and 1 austringer, i have yet to win agame but who cares its been close at times, i am looking at getting some witchlings as advised by people in my introthread, but i also like the hounds and the executioner, but not sure about which one to go for out of those 2. i will also be creating a sonnia criid in the near future, so it would be nice to know which would work well with her the hounds or the executioner.

thanks

Lady J is a really fun master. The issue seems to be getting her and her minions into position ready to strike... so using someone like lucius to slingshot units into the right place to wreak havoc works well... also a second austringer may be beneficial, as may ryle...

I like to take heavy elite guild crews like in 35 games

Lady J with 6ss

Lucius w/ drill sergeant

Ryle

Judge

Austringer

this crew works with lucius running up and bringing in waves as needed to deal with the enemy... making it a scarily fast and hard hitting crew

My suggestion is to get the Criid starter (that's what I did). The minis in both starters work well with both Masters and the playstyle changes significantly just by choosing one Master or the other. I'd go so far as to say that getting these two Starters is one of the best ways of starting Malifaux in a way.

As for Guild Hounds and Executioner - Guild Hounds open up the way for Lucius and Guard emphasis for Lady Justice. Drill Sergeant, Austringers, Hounds and Lucius make for a very good crew that I would rate as one of the more powerful ones in the Guild lineup.

Executioner, OTOH, is a bit slow and not that superb, IMO, though pretty fun and the mini is great. Not a bad choice, but if you're looking for power, I'd probably choose something else over him for the time being.

I like Criid's starter kit... Sam and the Witchlings are awesome...

I also like the Ortegas.... throwing Francisco and Santiago into a crew is fun (great range, good Melee, especially once Santiago is wounded... they activate together, and are more resistant to Wp duels...)

Austringers are good too...

Death Marshals are useful for moving LJ and the Executioner up the board...

Well another game under my belt using my original list, enjoyed it but did forget about the built in critcal strike. I was going to use pine box the on my opponent but discoverd his hofmen crew avoided will power duels. but still lost boy am i looking forward to getting some witchlings. i will get a win with lady j one day.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just tried, with great, if surprising, success, this (30 ss) list -

Lady J

Scales

Taelor

Austringer

Francisco

Nino

Didn't need to get Taleor involved and I was lucky in that my opponent flipped a tough strategy (kill LJ with Ramos) but the last 3 on that list worked together very well indeed. I wiped up 2 Arachnid swarms, and arachnid and Soul Stone miner (killed by LJ) without loss :-)

I take a different approach to Lady J:

Lady Justice

Lucius

Drill Sergeant

3x Guild Guard

2x Austringer

There are A LOT of great interactions in this list:

- Lucius can slingshot Lady J into combat very early in the game.

- Lady J's inspiring swordplay + Lucius's advanced training can give your Austringers three 12" shots at CB11 during Lucius's activation and two more shots during their activation at CB9. Coupled with the Drill Sergeant's shooting range ability this becomes fantastic.

- Guild Guards are awesome on their own, again, inspiring swordplay/shooting range/etc.. makes their Guard Pistols hit a lot harder since they already have a +flip on damage. They're not too shabby in melee either.

- If you need to alpha strike, you can shoot via Lucius, then Deliver Orders between two Austringers and a Guild Guard to drop a model that's threatening you quickly.

Edited by hijynx

Lady J + Lucius w/drill sergeant and judge / Ryle are literally everything I have needed in games... proof is in the pudding ;)

Try activating this way.

-drill sergeant links to the judge makes him immune to slow or paralyzed cos he can and potentially makes lucius move up, (also a :+fate on his melee attack flips.

-Lady J gives the judge (+1) melee expert

-Student of conflict gives judge (+1) fast

-Burn up activations with other troops like defensive stance pass and when the enemy has advanced

-Lucius dances another 10" up the board reinforcements one souped up judge who can kick out either a flurry an extra fast attack and melee expert for 5 essentially paired attacks with good critical damage or go for bullets and blades or whatever for potential 7 attacks!

got a first turn Sonnia kill and she had 6ss on her ;)

I take a different approach to Lady J:

Lady Justice

Lucius

Drill Sergeant

3x Guild Guard

2x Austringer

There are A LOT of great interactions in this list:

- Lucius can slingshot Lady J into combat very early in the game.

- Lady J's inspiring swordplay + Lucius's advanced training can give your Austringers three 12" shots at CB11 during Lucius's activation and two more shots during their activation at CB9. Coupled with the Drill Sergeant's shooting range ability this becomes fantastic.

- Guild Guards are awesome on their own, again, inspiring swordplay/shooting range/etc.. makes their Guard Pistols hit a lot harder since they already have a +flip on damage. They're not too shabby in melee either.

- If you need to alpha strike, you can shoot via Lucius, then Deliver Orders between two Austringers and a Guild Guard to drop a model that's threatening you quickly.

I'm pretty new to the game. I really like this combo but I'm wondering how you keep Lady J alive from counter strikes. I usually have a Guardian on hand but that obviously wouldn't work in a slingshot set-up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I ask because I'm looking to take down a friends Kirai (he moves to china for a year in a month, so I need to be quick)

I keep finding that he does more damage to me than I can do to him, and the higher mobility his synergies get him make it difficult to accomplish my schemes and strategies--also, he tends to kill of at least one, high power model in the first turn(summoning shikome, spirit swirling it, and using it's fast abilities with prey makes for a devastating combo).

So I was hoping for some advice on adjusting my crew.

Right now, what I have available is:

Lady Justice

Lucius

Judge

6 Death martials

Hunter

Samual Hopkins

3 Witchling stalkers

(I have Sonnia, but she's in progress ATM)

We generally play 35 point games, but we're moving back to 25 to try and make the rounds faster.

So, yeah, any advice would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

hi been awhile sinced i last updated thanks to every one for thier advice and looks like i shall be getting more guild to try out all the suggestions, not that wouldn't of happened any way,

the last games ive played i have used 3 witchlings samuel hopkins, a death marshal,scales and lady j i aso had austringer i still lost but the games was a lot closer and my flips always failed me when i needed them most. still love playing lady j and determined to win real; soon, i now have sonia creed so shall be using her and trying to set up a 35 point crew that i am happy with.

hoping to put up some pics soon.

bossmann321

Edited by bossmann321

Hey I would like to give you some thoughts here on how I play lady j.

The bigest issue all of us lady j players have is that lady j is slow. She has the weakest +1 ability that that can be useless in the first few turn. A way to get her going rightaway is adding a totem so that you can use spells if you want two. Since your base actions will be used to move forward.

For this I use the governors proxy totem, one of the best totems for lady j, the main reason for this is that he has CA5 (Rams) which is the same CA that lady J has. This alows the totem with same ease as lady j cast one of lady js best spells she never has the AP for, "Combat Prowess" or even blind justice freeing up lady j to do her thing.

Combat prowess on an exacutioner is awesome, even more awesome if lady j has inspiring swordplay in effect.

This is my lady j list at 35ss

Lady Justice

Governor's proxy - 2

Death Marshal - 4

Death Marshal - 4

Executioner - 7

Nino - 7

judge - 7

Witchling stalker -4

35ss and the cache of 4 that lady j bring to the party.

This can change depending on player stlye. Like the 4 costers are interchangeable depending on what you need. If you need more melee then more stalkers if you want more range then more death marshals.

Nino is great with trigger happy and cb 7 - 11 (depending if he gets his spell off and/or inspiring swordplay is in effect.) With a possability of having cb 11 at 16 inches of range you could cheat with lower masks and still hit and get trigger happy off.

Next the executioner is awesome and worth more then his points. If you cast combat prowess on him he becomes a beast with ablity to move twice and still stike. His slow to die loves his job combo to heal is awesome. His damge out put with critical strike is massive without a ram its 4/5/6 with a ram on the card its 5/6/7. Its just too good. Being paired at 6cb rams is awesome! Add in inspiring swordplay and bam cb 8. Then if you face hamlin or levy his final repose will stop them from returning to play. He just too good not to take.

Last rights is on lady j and the exacutioner so tokens should not be a problem.

The judge is the first model I would swap out im not 100% sold on him but I like his model so he creeps in. He is good in combat and that is where I would use him the most. I would keep him close to the executioner. So when combat prowess is cast it effects both of them.

Just some ideas hope this helps,

-Andrew

Edited by TimeLapse

Lady J + Lucius w/drill sergeant and judge / Ryle are literally everything I have needed in games... proof is in the pudding ;)

Try activating this way.

-drill sergeant links to the judge makes him immune to slow or paralyzed cos he can and potentially makes lucius move up, (also a :+fate on his melee attack flips.

-Lady J gives the judge (+1) melee expert

-Student of conflict gives judge (+1) fast

-Burn up activations with other troops like defensive stance pass and when the enemy has advanced

-Lucius dances another 10" up the board reinforcements one souped up judge who can kick out either a flurry an extra fast attack and melee expert for 5 essentially paired attacks with good critical damage or go for bullets and blades or whatever for potential 7 attacks!

got a first turn Sonnia kill and she had 6ss on her ;)

Vary cool and powerful idea but doen't link end if the model moves away with an action other then walk, so lucis's reinforcement would end the link thus ending the extra training the drill sergeant totem gives. Even without the drill sergeant its still a good combo.

Even if link could work that way that is 7ss spent on totems, that seems a bit much.

Edited by TimeLapse

Next the executioner is awesome and worth more then his points. If you cast combat prowess on him he becomes a beast with ablity to move twice and still stike. His slow to die loves his job combo to heal is awesome. His damge out put with critical strike is massive without a ram its 4/5/6 with a ram on the card its 5/6/7. Its just too good. Being paired at 6cb rams is awesome! Add in inspiring swordplay and bam cb 8. Then if you face hamlin or levy his final repose will stop them from returning to play. He just too good not to take.

Final repose only stops the dying model from generating counters. It doesn't affect their abilities to return to play.

Final repose only stops the dying model from generating counters. It doesn't affect their abilities to return to play.

That is normaly the case but the Executioners final repose is worded differently then other models with the same trigger.

The Executioner has this text for his final repose trigger,

"After killing defender with a melee attack, defender does not generate a corpes or scrap counters and cannot be returned from play."

I guess it hurts more being killed by the executioner.

-Andrew

Edited by TimeLapse

V2 card is correct so no executioner does not stop model from returning. Still executioner is good with melee expert. Time's list suggestion is not bad at all I have played that list a lot. Though I would suggest boosting lady j's speed with student of conflict. I usually don't play without it. If I do it is because I'm playing a the fastest master or my strategy doesn't require speed.

The judge is very solid, good damage output, lots of attack options. Can deal with spirits and undead. Ryle is great against low def crews like a lot of neverborn or construct masters.